Need to find a base to a certain space

In summary, Tomer was given the space V = C[-\pi,\pi] (continous functions on the closed segment) with the next linear transformation: T(f(x)) = g(x) = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi}[1+cos(x-t)]f(t)dt. He ought to prove that T(V), the range of V, has a finite dimension, and find an appropriate basis. However, he is blocked and can't seem to get started. He suggests trying a basis for V and trying a few cases to see if he can find a pattern.
Tomer

Homework Statement

I'm probably incredibly rusty, but I can't seem to solve this.

I've been given the space V = C[-[itex]\pi,\pi[/itex]] (continous functions on the closed segment) with the next linear transformation:

T(f(x)) = g(x) = [itex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}[1+cos(x-t)]f(t)dt[/itex]

I ought to prove that T(V), the range of V, has a finite dimension, and find an appropriate basis.

Homework Equations

Can't really think of any.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really simply blocked. How do I start getting the formation of functions in this space? Intuitively it seems like the addition of a certain number with a cos function, but I can't see any way to directly prove it, nor do I really have an obvious basis.

I'm sorry if it's dumb :-)

Thanks a lot,
Tomer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tomer! :smile:

Have you tried starting with a basis for V ?

It looks like V's dimension is infinite... I recall that functions on this segment can be described as infinite sums of trigonometric functions...
:-)

ok, start there :smile:

All I'm supposed to know up to now, if I'm not mistaken, is that the projection of a function f(x) on a subspace of V spanned by {1,sinx,sin2x,...sinnx,cosx,cos2x,...cosnx}, with the dimension of 2n+1, is the best approximation to f(x) in this subspace... (the "distance" between the two is the minimal)
When I said "I recall", I meant that I remember it from previous studies (Fourier series). But this is not what I'm rehearsing right now - I'm rehearsing some linear algebra, and I therefore I don't think I'm meant to show f(x) as an infinite series or something like that.

Any chance I'll get a thicker hint? :-)

And thanks for replying!

Tomer said:
All I'm supposed to know up to now, if I'm not mistaken, is that the projection of a function f(x) on a subspace of V spanned by {1,sinx,sin2x,...sinnx,cosx,cos2x,...cosnx}, with the dimension of 2n+1, is the best approximation to f(x) in this subspace... (the "distance" between the two is the minimal)

That's correct :smile:

{sin(nx)} and {cosnx} and {1} are a basis for V (they span V and they're linearly independent) …

so find T of each of them …

my guess is that you'll get only one or two independent results. :wink:

Ok, I know what you mean, but the thing is, the actual fact that I can write: f(x) = (sum of trigonometric functions) is based on material which I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to use here.
It is mentioned nowhere in the book that any continuous function in a closed segment can be represented as this sum. They only talk about approximations to finite subspaces, and mention that in the finite subspace spanned by {1,sinx,sin2x...sinnx,cosx,cos2x...cosnx} (finite!) the projection of f(x) on it would be the best approximation to f(x)...

I don't see how I can take it formally onwards. If you tell me I have to use the fact that any such function can be represented as an infinite sum, then I can solve it of course in no time.

Thanks and sorry for bugging :-)

Hi Tomer! :smile:

(sorry for not replying earlier :redface:)

Try it either for cos(nt) and sin(nt), or just for tn, to see what results you get …

you should find that the dimension (ie the number of independent solutions) is very low, and once you realize what the solutions are, you should be able to see a quick and simple way of proving it. :wink:

What solutions do you get? :smile:

The solutions I get are {1,sinx,cosx}. But I can't seem to be able to prove it without expanding f(x) as this infinite series which, as I've mentioned, I don't think I can. But maybe I'm wrong and I can? :)

Tomer said:
The solutions I get are {1,sinx,cosx}.

That's what I got too. :smile:

ok, ignore the {1} for the moment …

what familiar equation has the general solution C1cosx + C2sinx ? :wink:

f''(x) + f(x) = 0 ? :-)

(just got up :zzz: …)

Yup! :smile:
Tomer said:
T(f(x)) = g(x) = [itex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}[1+cos(x-t)]f(t)dt[/itex]

ok, so what is g''(x) ? :wink:

(for a given f)

I'd never manage to see it myself :-)
so for a given f, g(x) must be a solution of the equation: g''(x) - g(x) = C. (C is the integral of f from -pi to pi, and is a constant).
Therefore g has the form: g(x) = C1sinx + C2cosx + C3.
Which of course holds as a proof... correct? :-)

Thanks a lot!

Tomer said:
Therefore g has the form: g(x) = C1sinx + C2cosx + C3.
Which of course holds as a proof... correct? :-)

Completely! :biggrin:

The moral of all this is:

in future similar questions, try differentiating wrt to x to get a simple equation

and more generally always try a few simple cases to see if you can see a pattern! :wink:

Thanks a lot :-) I'll remember that!

Related to Need to find a base to a certain space

1. How do you determine the best location for a space base?

The best location for a space base is typically determined by several factors, including proximity to necessary resources, accessibility to potential launch sites, and potential for expansion and growth. Scientists and engineers will also consider factors such as geological stability and potential hazards in the area.

2. What resources are needed to sustain a space base?

Sustaining a space base requires a variety of resources, including air, water, food, and energy sources. These resources can either be brought from Earth or extracted from the surrounding environment through advanced technology. The availability and sustainability of these resources are crucial in determining the feasibility of a space base location.

3. How do you protect a space base from space debris?

To protect a space base from space debris, scientists and engineers utilize various strategies such as shielding, deflecting, and tracking systems. Shielding involves using materials to physically protect the base from impacts, while deflecting involves altering the trajectory of debris. Tracking systems help to monitor and predict potential collisions, allowing for timely evasive actions.

4. How does the location of a space base affect its functionality?

The location of a space base can greatly impact its functionality. Factors such as the local climate, topography, and magnetic field can affect the base's operations and equipment. Access to sunlight and communication signals can also be affected by location, making it crucial to carefully consider these factors when choosing a space base location.

5. What is the process for finding and securing a suitable location for a space base?

The process for finding and securing a suitable location for a space base involves extensive research, analysis, and planning. Scientists and engineers will use data and technology to identify potential locations and assess their feasibility. Once a location is determined, negotiations and agreements must be made with the appropriate authorities to secure the land and necessary resources for the space base.