Need to clarify Extreme value theorem

In summary, a closed and bounded interval will always have a global max/min for a continuous function, but the specific location of the max/min may depend on the function and cannot be determined without looking at the graph. For example, the function 1/x^2 will have a global max at x=2 and a global min at x=5 on the interval [2,5]. However, for a function like 1/x, there will be no global max/min on any closed and bounded interval that contains 0.
semc
From what i know if a graph has say one turning point, the relative global max(/min) is that point depending on the concavity correct? However as i was going through some notes, i notice that according to the mean value theorem that in a closed and bounded interval there exist a relative global max/min. Does that mean so long the interval is close and bounded, there will be a global max/min and it does not need to be the highest/lowest point in the graph? Let's say for a simple graph 1/x the global min will be x=0 and no global max? So if the interval is [2,5] is the global max and global min at x=5 and x=2 respectively? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
semc said:
From what i know if a graph has say one turning point, the relative global max(/min) is that point depending on the concavity correct? However as i was going through some notes, i notice that according to the mean value theorem that in a closed and bounded interval there exist a relative global max/min. Does that mean so long the interval is close and bounded, there will be a global max/min and it does not need to be the highest/lowest point in the graph? Let's say for a simple graph 1/x the global min will be x=0 and no global max? So if the interval is [2,5] is the global max and global min at x=5 and x=2 respectively? Thanks
No, a "global max" is, by definition, the highest point on a graph and the "global min" is, by definition, the lowest point on a graph. Any continuous function has a global max and min on a closed and bounded interval. The function 1/x, for all x, does not have either max or min. 0 is not the min because 1/x is never equal to 0. In fact, 1/x does not have a global max or min on any closed and bounded interval that contains 0. The global max of 1/x on the interval [2, 5] occurs at x= 2 and is 1/2. The global min occurs at x= 5 and is 1/5.

But stricly speaking the answer to your question "So if the interval is [2,5] is the global max and global min at x=5 and x=2 respectively?" is "No" because the order inwhich they are given implies that you are asking if the global max is at 5 and the global min is at 2. That's not true, they are reversed.

Sorry my bad i wanted to say 1/x^2. I see now so basically if a close and bounded interval is given there will be a global max/min but if the interval is not given then we have to look at the graph to decide? Thanks

Related to Need to clarify Extreme value theorem

What is the Extreme Value Theorem?

The Extreme Value Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that for a continuous function on a closed and bounded interval, there will always be a maximum and a minimum value within that interval.

Why is the Extreme Value Theorem important?

The Extreme Value Theorem is important because it allows us to prove the existence of extreme values for continuous functions, which is useful in many mathematical and real-world applications.

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function that has no breaks or gaps in its graph. This means that as we move along the x-axis, the y-values remain connected and do not jump or skip any values.

What is a closed and bounded interval?

A closed and bounded interval is an interval on the number line that includes both its endpoints. For example, the interval [0, 10] is closed and bounded, while the interval (0, 10) is not.

How is the Extreme Value Theorem used in real life?

The Extreme Value Theorem is used in many real-life situations, such as finding the optimal production level for a company or the maximum and minimum temperatures in a given region. It is also used in economics, engineering, and other fields that involve continuous functions.