Need suggestion on good Java text

In summary, the speaker is currently taking a computer science course and is struggling with the material covered in the second half of the course. They have found that the textbook used for the first half of the course is easier to understand than the notes provided by their professor. However, the textbook does not cover all the topics they are currently learning, such as sorting algorithms and system information. The speaker is seeking recommendations for another Java textbook that covers these topics in a clear and understandable manner.
greenneub
Hey guys, so the second half of my first year comp sci course is winding down, and the exam is fast approaching. The problem is that our "text" for Comp Sci 102 (second half of first year comp sci) is a collection of notes by one of the professors in the department. After comparing his section on Recursion, and the section in Tony Gaddis' Starting out with Java - From Control Structures to Objects (the text we used for Comp Sci 101), I found Gaddis' interpretation waaaaay easier to understand. But here's the problem, Gaddis only covers up to Recursion in his Java text. We go into sorting algorithms, linked lists, multidimensional arrays, and a little bit on System information like the stack and the heap, and now we just covered algorithm efficiency in class with no text reference material at all, just the profs notes. I'm not lazy, I can take notes, but I'm just coming back to school and the math in the algorithm efficiency section isn't my forte at the moment. Can someone suggest another Java text that covers these latter mentioned subjects in a clear and fairly comprehensible way? Thanks in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~matuszek/cit594-2009/Pages/textbook.html

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with the current text for your Comp Sci course. It can be difficult to learn from notes alone, especially when the material is complex and involves math.

I would recommend checking out "Data Structures and Algorithms in Java" by Robert Lafore. This text covers all the subjects you mentioned, including sorting algorithms, linked lists, and multidimensional arrays. It also includes explanations on algorithm efficiency and how to analyze it.

Another option is "Java: An Introduction to Problem Solving and Programming" by Walter Savitch. This text covers the basics of Java programming and then delves into data structures, algorithms, and efficiency in later chapters.

I would also suggest reaching out to your professor or TA for additional resources or clarification on the material. They may be able to recommend other texts or provide extra practice problems to help you understand the concepts better.

I hope this helps and good luck on your exam!

Related to Need suggestion on good Java text

1. What are some recommended Java textbooks for beginners?

Some popular Java textbooks for beginners include "Head First Java" by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates, "Java: A Beginner's Guide" by Herbert Schildt, and "Java: The Complete Reference" by Herbert Schildt.

2. Are there any free online resources for learning Java?

Yes, there are many free online resources for learning Java such as Codecademy, Udemy, and Coursera. You can also find tutorials and documentation on the official Java website.

3. What should I consider when choosing a Java textbook?

When choosing a Java textbook, consider your level of experience with programming, the specific topics you want to learn, the teaching style of the author, and reviews from other readers.

4. Are there any Java textbooks that cover advanced topics?

Yes, there are several Java textbooks that cover advanced topics such as "Effective Java" by Joshua Bloch, "Core Java Volume I & II" by Cay S. Horstmann, and "Java Concurrency in Practice" by Brian Goetz.

5. Can you suggest a Java textbook for preparing for a certification exam?

There are many Java textbooks that can help you prepare for certification exams such as "OCA Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide" by Jeanne Boyarsky and Scott Selikoff and "Java 8 Programmer II Study Guide" by Jeanne Boyarsky and Scott Selikoff. It is also recommended to check the official exam objectives and use study guides provided by the exam provider.