Need Study Tips for Summer? Check Out These Tips for Math and Computer Science!

In summary, high school students should focus on studying subjects they are passionate about, making efficient use of their time, and practicing memorization techniques.
icecubebeast
Hello,
It is almost summer and since I am a high school student, there is a lot of free time. I plan on spending the time studying various subjects (mathematics and computer science). Regarding this, I have some questions on studying topics in mathematics and computer science:
1. What is the best way to stay focus? What do you do so that distractions do not interfere with your studying?
2. How do you take the initiative to start studying everyday right after you wake up?
3. What are some ways to study efficiently?
4. How do you memorize concepts, formulas, and methods for the long term (lifetime)?
5. What are some things that you did to study well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Put down the game controller and turn off the console, then turn off the computer. Think about the alternative, like how life would be without a good education. Do a little bit of studying right before bed. Get some good rest, and eat healthy. Stay of sound mind, meaning don't drink or smoke (too much). Maybe get some exercise. Rinse and repeat.

icecubebeast said:
1. What is the best way to stay focus? What do you do so that distractions do not interfere with your studying?
Personally I never had the discipline to just outright study a subject that I didn't have a test coming up in. What worked for me was more to get some kind of a project and then learn things as I needed them. The problem I encountered often when trying to study something outside of a formal class was that I'd do fine until I got stuck on something. And then, the way my brain works, in order to push myself over that hurdle I needed to know WHY I needed to understand something. If I didn't have that, it would become easier and easier to lose focus. But when I had a project or a question of my own, my learning had a well-defined purpose. So if you want to learn computer science, you could look for a programming project.

2. How do you take the initiative to start studying everyday right after you wake up?
This kind of initiative has to be internally motivated. Self-discipline helps too. Some keys to self-discipline include starting slow and focusing on making the act a habit. If you spend a week getting straight out of bed and hitting the books for three hours straight how are you going to look forward to doing that? Instead, commit to twenty minutes. If it's going well - great. If you're finding it tough, well, it's only twenty minutes.

It can also help to lower the obstacles in the way to doing this. Get things ready the night before. Block off your time, so that you'll know you won't have any other demands.
3. What are some ways to study efficiently?
Do more of what works and less of what doesn't work. I know, that's kind of a cop-out, but the fact of the matter is that different people learn in different ways and the most efficient process for learning will vary from person to person. Efficiency is also related to your specific goals.
4. How do you memorize concepts, formulas, and methods for the long term (lifetime)?
Practice. Neurons that fire together wire together.
5. What are some things that you did to study well?
For me one tip would be just general reading. Reading broadens one's experience base and makes foreign concepts more accessible.

Something else that I have found can help is it get into an argument with someone. If you're passionate about proving yourself right or wrong, you'll be driven to seek out all the little details surrounding the topic.

Less is more

Don't try to sit and do work for 8 hours straight this will be a waste of time and effort. I would say 2 solid hours is more then enough and I would break it up through the day. Summer is a great time to get in shape as a high school student also and exercise has amazing benefits on the mind as well as the body. I would do a little programming every day, this is a skill that needs to be practiced a little daily. So some light reading split up through the day along with a few exercises, some programming, plenty of exercise and a summer job. Other then that enjoy time with friends/gf etc.

Related to Need Study Tips for Summer? Check Out These Tips for Math and Computer Science!

What are some study tips for summer?

1. Set specific goals: Identify what you want to achieve during your summer study and set specific, achievable goals to keep you motivated.

2. Plan ahead: Create a study schedule and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and make the most of your study time.

3. Find a suitable study space: Choose a quiet and comfortable place to study, free from distractions.

4. Take breaks: It's important to take regular breaks while studying to avoid burnout. Use your breaks to relax and recharge.

5. Practice, practice, practice: The best way to improve your skills in math and computer science is to practice regularly. Make sure to work on problems and exercises to reinforce your understanding of the concepts.