Need some help with Riemann Sums.

In summary, the question asks for help with evaluating a Riemann Sum for the function f(x) = -2x + 1 with the given definite integral. The first part (Part A) is solved to find the value of I, which is 4. The second part (Part B) is to use the definition of the definite integral to evaluate I, but the person is stuck and asks for assistance. The attempt at a solution involves finding the Riemann Sum, but there is a mistake in the final calculation that is causing the answer to be incorrect.
Kuma
Need some urgent help with Riemann Sums.

Homework Statement

PART A:

In all of this question, let I = [tex]\int ^{2}_{-2} f(x)dx [/tex] [tex]where f(x) = -2x + 1 [/tex]

Evaluate I.

PART B:

Use the defintion of the definite integral to evaluate I.
i.e Riemann Sum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

PART A:

I = [-(2)^2 + (2)] - [-(-2)^2 + (-2)]
I = -2 + 6 = 4

Part B is what i am having trouble with.

Xk = a + k([tex]\Delta x[/tex])
a = -2

and

[tex]\Delta x[/tex] = b-a/n = 2- (-2)/n = 4/n

so then

Xk = -2 + 4k/n

Now the Reimann sum is:

[tex]\sum f(Xk)(\Delta x)[/tex] = [tex]\sum [-2(-2 + 4k/n) + 1](4/n)[/tex]
= 4/n [tex]\sum 4 - 8k/n + 1 [/tex]
= 4/n [tex]\sum -8k/n + 5[/tex]
= 4/n x -8/n [tex]\sum k[/tex] + [tex]\sum 5[/tex]
= -32/n2 x [(n)(n+1)/2] + 5n

Now when i take the limit approaching infinity for that, it doesn't give me 4 as an answer unless I am doing something wrong.
This is where i am stuck at.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your last two lines start to look pretty goofy. The limit of (4/n)*(5n-8*n(n+1)/2) is 4. Then parentheses start disappearing and numbers are magically factored out. Check it again.

Related to Need some help with Riemann Sums.

1. What are Riemann Sums?

Riemann Sums are a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve by dividing the region into smaller rectangles and calculating the sum of their areas.

2. Why are Riemann Sums important?

Riemann Sums are important because they allow us to approximate the area under a curve, which is crucial in many real-world applications such as calculating work done, displacement, and volumes of irregular objects.

3. How do you calculate Riemann Sums?

To calculate Riemann Sums, you need to determine the width of each rectangle and the height of each rectangle. Then, you multiply the width and height to find the area of each rectangle and add all of the areas together to get the total approximate area under the curve.

4. What are the different types of Riemann Sums?

The three most commonly used types of Riemann Sums are left Riemann Sums, right Riemann Sums, and midpoint Riemann Sums. These differ in the placement of the rectangles and can give varying levels of accuracy.

5. How do Riemann Sums relate to the definite integral?

Riemann Sums are closely related to the definite integral, as they both involve approximating the area under a curve. As the number of rectangles used in the Riemann Sum approaches infinity, the approximation approaches the exact value given by the definite integral.