Need some help finding applied force & coefficient of static friction

In summary, static friction depends on the weight of the block and how strongly it is "pressed against" the surface.
summerchambers
i am having some trouble figuring this out

I can not figure out which formula to use i have tried Mass x G x Static Friction
which resulted in 1 x 2 x 9.8 = 19.6

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 11.22.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 11.22.06 AM.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
Mass * g * coeffecient of static friction = "Maximum value of static friction"

when i had the spring it doesn't give me the coefficient it just gives me the Fmax

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 12.07.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 12.07.07 PM.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 533
But you can still use Fmax to find the coefficient. (Rearrange the equation)

''Mass * g * coeffecient of static friction = "Maximum value of static friction"

so it would be like mass * g / maximum value of static friction = coefficient of static friction?

No your algebra is a little wrong. You would want to divide both sides by (mass * g)

Likes 1 person
i don't really understand , can you please give me an example ? I think i get what you mean but i think I'm wrong as well

I think your getting confused because we're using words instead of letters.

But let's start from the beginning. What does static friction depend on? Well it obviously depends on the two surfaces (a block on a smooth surface will have less friction than a block on a rough surface) but it also depends on how strongly the block is "pressed against" the surface.
(If you don't believe me, try pushing something across a table while pushing down on it very hard.)

So what is the force that the block is "pressed against" the surface with? It's just the weight of the block (which is mass * g)

Now,
Let's call the coefficient of static friction "[itex]\mu _s[/itex]"

and let's call the force that it is pressed against the surface with "[itex]F_{press}[/itex]"The coefficient of static friction is defined as follows:
[itex]\mu _sF_{press}=F_{max}[/itex]

This means that:
[itex]\mu _s=\frac{F_{max}}{F_{press}}[/itex]
In your case, [itex]F_{press}=mg=9.8m[/itex]
(this is because nothing is pushing down on the block other than it's own weight)

so it would be like µs = 2/9.8
for the first trial ?

summerchambers said:
so it would be like µs = 2/9.8
for the first trial ?

Yes, that is correct.

and so on and so forth for the rest of the trials ? but would it change if instead it was a smooth surface ? like glass

summerchambers said:
but would it change if instead it was a smooth surface ? like glass

If it were a smooth surface (or any different surface) then the coefficient of static friction would change

But the method of finding the coefficient of static friction would still be the same.

ok thank you so much!

Related to Need some help finding applied force & coefficient of static friction

1. How do I calculate the applied force?

The applied force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the applied force, μ is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force.

2. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the force required to keep an object at rest on a surface, and it is denoted by the symbol μ. It depends on the type of surfaces in contact and their roughness.

3. How do I determine the normal force?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It can be calculated by multiplying the object's weight by the cosine of the angle between the object and the surface.

4. Can I find the applied force and coefficient of static friction experimentally?

Yes, the applied force and coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the weight of the object, the angle of the surface, and the minimum force required to keep the object at rest.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating applied force and coefficient of static friction?

Calculating applied force and coefficient of static friction is important for various engineering and design applications such as determining the weight limit of a bridge, designing braking systems for vehicles, and creating slip-resistant surfaces for floors or shoes.