Need physics explanation for defects after epoxy cure

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of bubbles, cracks, voids, and "funnels" in epoxy during curing. The possible causes for each are mentioned, including air trapped in the liquid, uneven contraction, and dissolved gases and moisture. It is suggested that degassing the resin and silanizing the interior of the tubes may prevent these formations. The conversation is related to an engineering project and the speaker is looking for lucid physics explanations.
unscientific
Qn:Why do bubbles like this form?
-My guess is that intially air trapped in the liquid before cure expands in all direction(to maintain equal pressure) during curing, as curing shrinks the epoxy, causing bubbles to form. (Or is it the heat which expands it?)

Microscope picture of bubble:

Qn: Why do cracks like this form?
-My guess is that there is uneven contraction, 1 side contracting faster than other, causing a crack.

Qn: Why do voids form?
-My guess is that there is contraction, leading to voids.

Qn**:Why do "funnels" form?
-I don't know, the funnels form at both ends of the capillary tubes, only at both ends, nowhere else, why? My guess is as it contracts, a drop in pressure causes air to rush in, forming a "funnel" shape.

I performed these experiments in a capillary tube (not me in one, but the epoxy)

Looking forward to lucid, physics explanations if possible (this is for my engineering project)

Attachments

• 25162640.jpg
    25162640.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 540
  • 25162600.jpg
    25162600.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 500
Engineering news on Phys.org
Cracks:

Attachments

• 25151607.jpg
    25151607.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 527
  • 24172421.jpg
    24172421.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 513
" Funnels " :

Attachments

• 24174248.jpg
    24174248.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 535
  • 25162800.jpg
    25162800.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 515
unscientific said:
Qn:Why do bubbles like this form?
-My guess is that intially air trapped in the liquid before cure expands in all direction(to maintain equal pressure) during curing, as curing shrinks the epoxy, causing bubbles to form. (Or is it the heat which expands it?)

Microscope picture of bubble:

Qn: Why do cracks like this form?
-My guess is that there is uneven contraction, 1 side contracting faster than other, causing a crack.

Qn: Why do voids form?
-My guess is that there is contraction, leading to voids.

Qn**:Why do "funnels" form?
-I don't know, the funnels form at both ends of the capillary tubes, only at both ends, nowhere else, why? My guess is as it contracts, a drop in pressure causes air to rush in, forming a "funnel" shape.

I performed these experiments in a capillary tube (not me in one, but the epoxy)

Looking forward to lucid, physics explanations if possible (this is for my engineering project)

Dissolved gases and moisture in the uncured resin can cause this. Were your samples degassed (along with the capillary) before you loaded them?

unscientific said:
Cracks:

These look like shrinkage cracking. There is a strong bond between the epoxy and the walls of the capillary so when the resin shrinks, you get weird looking cracks in the center where the stresses are the highest.

unscientific said:
" Funnels " :

If you were to silanize the interior of the tubes (trimethylsilyl chloride or preferably a perfluoro analog) the resin could shrink away from the wall and the funnels might not form. Your epoxy plug would pull away from the walls and shrink within the tubing most likely.

Related to Need physics explanation for defects after epoxy cure

What causes defects to appear after epoxy cures?

Defects after epoxy cures can be caused by various factors such as improper mixing, incorrect temperature or humidity during curing, or contamination of the surface being bonded. These factors can result in air bubbles, discoloration, or weak bonds.

How can I prevent defects from appearing after epoxy cures?

To prevent defects, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for mixing and curing the epoxy. Make sure to use the recommended temperature and humidity levels, and properly prepare the surface before applying the epoxy. Additionally, using high-quality epoxy and tools can also help prevent defects.

Why do air bubbles form during epoxy curing?

Air bubbles can form during epoxy curing when the mixture is not thoroughly mixed, or when it is applied too thickly. It can also be caused by trapped air in porous surfaces or insufficient degassing of the mixture before application.

Can defects after epoxy cure be fixed?

In some cases, defects after epoxy cures can be fixed by sanding down the affected area and reapplying a new layer of epoxy. However, this may not be possible for all types of defects, and prevention is always the best solution.

Are defects after epoxy cure harmful?

Defects after epoxy cures are generally not harmful, but they can affect the strength and aesthetic appearance of the bonded surface. It is important to properly address any defects to ensure the best possible bond and finish.