Need in depth understanding of Simple physic terms

In summary, The Bohr Model incorporates Planck's quantum theory and sets restrictions on the values of angular momentum, which is quantized according to the equation L = n(h/2pi) where n is a positive integer and h is Planck's constant. This is in contrast to classical mechanics, where an object in circular motion can take on any value for its radius and velocity. The inclusion of 2pi in the equation is simply a convenient way to express h-bar, which is used in many mathematical calculations. Overall, the Bohr Model provides a more accurate understanding of the behavior of particles in quantum systems.
jcmartinez
Hello, i am reading on the Bohr Model. There are some parts i just do not understand.

in classical mechanics, an object, such as an electron, revolving ina circle may assume an infinite number of values for its radius and velocity. Why is this?

Therefore the angular momentum (L= mvr) (? m=mass v=velocity r=radius ?) and the kinetic energy (KE= mv^2/2pi) (? m=mass v=velocity 2pi= something to do with a cirlce ?). again i don't understand why this is.

Bohr then goes to add Planck's quantum theory into his model. This sets conditions on the value of the angular momentum. the angular momentum is quantized according to the following equation: angular momentum = nh/2pi
n= quantum number that could be any positive integer. h is Plancks constant. I am not sure what 2pi is for.

if anyone could please explain these passages to me it would greatly help in my studies. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Classically, if we look at a moon orbiting a planet the moon can take on any value radius and velocity because of the way we derive it. Essentially if you work through the derivation there are no restrictions placed on the mathematics. I'm sure you remember doing this at some point if you're learning about more modern physics.

If we start from Newton's laws, or conservation of energy we can derive expressions for momentum, angular momentum, kinetic energy, etc... The derivations are in any introductory physics book.

In the Bohr model, on the other hand, we assume for instance that the angular momentum is quantized. [tex]L = n \frac{h}{2\pi} = n \hbar[/tex]The two pi is included because we usually write that angular momentum = n times h-bar which is [tex]\frac{h}{2\pi} = \hbar[/tex]

We use h-bar because if you work with the mathematics a lot there are a lot of 2pi's that pop-up so it's just convenient to lump 2 pi and h into one variable.

Related to Need in depth understanding of Simple physic terms

1. What is the definition of "need in depth understanding" when it comes to simple physics terms?

Need in depth understanding refers to having a thorough comprehension and knowledge of the fundamental principles and concepts of physics, including the ability to apply them in various scenarios and solve complex problems.

2. How can I improve my understanding of simple physics terms?

One way to improve your understanding of simple physics terms is by actively engaging in hands-on experiments and demonstrations, as well as seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems.

3. What are some common examples of simple physics terms?

Some common examples of simple physics terms include force, energy, velocity, acceleration, gravity, friction, and momentum.

4. Why is it important to have a deep understanding of simple physics terms?

Having a deep understanding of simple physics terms allows individuals to better understand the world around them and make informed decisions based on scientific principles. It also serves as a strong foundation for further studies in more complex areas of physics.

5. What are some effective study strategies for gaining a deep understanding of simple physics terms?

Effective study strategies for gaining a deep understanding of simple physics terms include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, practicing problem-solving regularly, and seeking out opportunities for hands-on learning and application.