Need help with the magnetic field generated by this current distribution

In summary: I know, that´s what I thought, is this a topic for intro physics? As I see it it is a little harder than...Intro to physics might be a good place to start. Thanks!
Magnetosphere

Homework Statement

A DC current is flowing between two electrodes through a iron disk medium. Positive is attached to the copper shaft of the disc and the negative is attached to the outer brass periphery of the disk. The radius of the disk is 2,54mm (1 inch) and the height of the disk is 1cm. How does the magnetic field look/behave when a DC current is applied to the disk?

Homework Equations

Right hand rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I have searched online for the answer and made a few attempts at figuring it out myself but without any success. I can´t wrap my head around it.
magnetic field.png

Attachments

• magnetic field.png
    magnetic field.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 820
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Magnetosphere said:

Homework Statement

A DC current is flowing between two electrodes through a iron disk medium. Positive is attached to the copper shaft of the disc and the negative is attached to the outer brass periphery of the disk. The radius of the disk is 2,54mm (1 inch) and the height of the disk is 1cm. How does the magnetic field look/behave when a DC current is applied to the disk?

Homework Equations

Right hand rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I have searched online for the answer and made a few attempts at figuring it out myself but without any success. I can´t wrap my head around it.View attachment 235599
Can you show us a sketch of the current distribution in the disc? Then start with one piece of that current distribution, and sketch the B-field from it. Then add more and more pieces of the current distribution to see what the overall total field might look like...

T
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you show us a sketch of the current distribution in the disc? Then start with one piece of that current distribution, and sketch the B-field from it. Then add more and more pieces of the current distribution to see what the overall total field might look like...

Hi and thank you for the reply!
The current distribution is simple, it is moving from the copper axis outward through the iron to the brass ring. I guess the electrical lines would look like spokes in a bicykle.

Thread is in Moderation for a bit to sort this out...

Thread is re-opened. :smile:

Magnetosphere said:
The current distribution is simple, it is moving from the copper axis outward through the iron to the brass ring. I guess the electrical lines would look like spokes in a bicykle.
Can you sketch the B-field for one of those spokes of current? Then sketch the B-field from 4 spokes, 90 degrees apart on the disc. Then think about what happens to the B-field as you fill in more and more spokes...

berkeman said:
Can you sketch the B-field for one of those spokes of current? Then sketch the B-field from 4 spokes, 90 degrees apart on the disc. Then think about what happens to the B-field as you fill in more and more spokes...

Hi, thanks for the input. Yes I can visualize/draw the electrical field lines coming out from the axis going through the iron to the periphery of the disk and the magnetic forces for each individual line, I just can´t wrap my head around how the combined magnetic force will look from a distance. Just like one can imagine the total magnetic field coming out from a magnet. Since the electrical field i spreading out in all directions 360 degrees around its own axis I can´t understand how the total magnetic field will look. I wish someone could draw it and post it, no opinions or guesses.

This is a physics forum, doesn't anyone know the answer to this question?

Magnetosphere said:
This is a physics forum, doesn't anyone know the answer to this question?
I have an idea of what it would look like (with some assumptions), but I was hoping someone else would post first.

Can you show us your best sketch?

Likes Magnetosphere
Start with ∇xH = j
H = B

j = current density.
You know j everywhere in the iron.

Likes Magnetosphere
kuruman said:
My online search produced this link
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/996131
It looks like a computational solution is required.
Not to mention elliptic integrals.
Not a subject for intro physics (not a nice one for upper-class physics either!).

Likes Magnetosphere and gneill
berkeman said:
I have an idea of what it would look like (with some assumptions), but I was hoping someone else would post first.

Thanks for the interest. I can´t sketch the magnetic field, can´t wrap my head around it. What I am imagining is a magnetic vortex field. Please share your thoughts.

I
rude man said:
Start with ∇xH = j
H = B

j = current density.
You know
rude man said:
Not to mention elliptic integrals.
Not a subject for intro physics (not a nice one for upper-class physics either!).

I know, that´s what I thought, is this a topic for intro physics? As I see it it is a little harder than intro.

kuruman said:
My online search produced this link
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/996131
It looks like a computational solution is required.
I am not sure this is what I am talking about, in this paper I believe they are talking about a radial array of magnets, I am talking about radially dispersed electrical currents and their combined magnetic field.

Magnetosphere said:
I am not sure this is what I am talking about, in this paper I believe they are talking about a radial array of magnets, I am talking about radially dispersed electrical currents and their combined magnetic field.
Isn't the abstract mentioning what you are interested in? I have pasted it for your convenience but I have not read the full paper.

Abstract:
In this paper, new expressions are presented for three-dimensional magnetic-field calculation for a massive disk currying (sic) radial currents. These expressions have been obtained in analytical form as functions of incomplete elliptical integrals (of the first, second, and third kind) and an integral to be solved numerically. This approach enables one to easily calculate the magnetic field everywhere in space at reduced computational cost. In addition, it can be employed to calculate the magnetic field in conductor disk configurations involving complicated geometry as well as to evaluate their self and mutual inductance.

Likes Magnetosphere
Yes, I understand and I am glad you are here, I believe they are talking about magnetic currents, not electric currents. I read the paper further down and as I understood it they were talking about a radial array of magnets. I am talking about a radial array of electric current.

berkeman said:

Here is my best sketch. Please keep in mind in this image the magnetic fields do not combine or repel, they overlap. This image is most probably very different from the truth
magnetic.png

Attachments

• magnetic.png
    magnetic.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 532
I think magnetic fields "combine" in the sense that at any point in space the magnetic field is the vector sum of the contributions ##d\vec B## from all current elements to that point. Therefore, they cannot intersect. Also, it is a law of nature that magnetic field lines form closed loops.

Likes Magnetosphere
magnetic2.png

Attachments

• magnetic2.png
    magnetic2.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 415
In my opinion it looks pretty but is completely false.

I looked at this problem when it was first posted, and I did not have a good answer for it, or I would have responded sooner. You can't simply discard the magnetic field caused by the current in the wires external to the disc. Meanwhile, with iron, the response can be very large to even rather weak magnetic fields. I could not come up with a clear qualitative picture in my head from using Biot-Savart of exactly how the magnetic field might look in the disc=it appears it might be in one direction in the upper half of the disc, and in the opposite direction in the lower portion. In any case, I think the problem is non-trivial, and I don't know that it even has a well-defined answer=minor alterations in the incoming and outgoing wires could have a huge effect on the result.

Likes Magnetosphere
Magnetosphere said:
Thanks for the input. I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. How will the magnetic field look around the disk from a distance? Just like one can draw the magnetic field around a magnet I would like to see an image of the magnetic field around this disk. Imagine 50 volts at 1 amp going through the disk, how will the magnetic field look?

Not forgetting magnetic pole direction, in this particular setup with positive being the axis of the disk.

Nice sketches! What software did you use to make them?
Magnetosphere said:
How will the magnetic field look around the disk from a distance?
I'm not sure about far away (there may be very little net field far away compared to the dimensions of the disc), but near the disc, it looks like the vertical B-fields cancel, and you are left with a swirling magnetic field in the toriodal direction above and below the disc, no? Interesting problem...

Likes Magnetosphere
Magnetosphere said:
Thanks for the input. I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. How will the magnetic field look around the disk from a distance? Just like one can draw the magnetic field around a magnet I would like to see an image of the magnetic field around this disk. Imagine 50 volts at 1 amp going through the disk, how will the magnetic field look?
The magnetic field external to the disc would very likely depend on how the iron responded to the internal fields. Once the distribution of the magnetization ## M ## is determined, the external magnetic field can be computed, at least numerically, using the magnetic pole theory, with magnetic pole density ## \rho_m=-\nabla \cdot M ##. The ## H ## is then computed using the inverse square law. Computing the magnetization ## M ## as a function of position in the disc looks very difficult though. It would need to be a self-consistent problem, with the response assumed to be proportional to the magnetic field strength. ## \\ ## The geometry of this problem looks simple enough, but it is not a simple problem.

Likes Magnetosphere
berkeman said:
Nice sketches! What software did you use to make them?

I'm not sure about far away (there may be very little net field far away compared to the dimensions of the disc), but near the disc, it looks like the vertical B-fields cancel, and you are left with a swirling magnetic field in the toriodal direction above and below the disc, no? Interesting problem...

Hi, thanks. I used sketchup. Yes, I agree, I was thinking of a vortex too. The question is, since the electron flow is going into the axis from the outer periphery of the disk, which side of the disk is north/south if the disk even has poles? Which I imagine it does.

Charles Link said:
The magnetic field external to the disc would very likely depend on how the iron responded to the internal fields. Once the distribution of the magnetization ## M ## is determined, the external magnetic field can be computed, at least numerically, using the magnetic pole theory, with magnetic pole density ## \rho_m=-\nabla \cdot M ##. The ## H ## is then computed using the inverse square law. Computing the magnetization ## M ## as a function of position in the disc looks very difficult though. It would need to be a self-consistent problem, with the response assumed to be proportional to the magnetic field strength. ## \\ ## The geometry of this problem looks simple enough, but it is not a simple problem.
I totally agree with you, you explained the dilema well. Does the disk have a north and a south pole?

Magnetosphere said:
I totally agree with you, you explained the dilema well. Does the disk have a north and a south pole?
For north and south pole, I don't see any obvious ones. That would be a good place to start with a qualitative solution if you could demonstrate some kind of direction in the magnetization, but from what I can see, the magnetization ## \vec{M} ## might run in a circle, (around the whole disc), in the upper part of the disc, and in an opposite circle on the lower part. In that case, It appears poles might be virtually absent.

Likes Magnetosphere
Charles Link said:
I looked at this problem when it was first posted, and I did not have a good answer for it, or I would have responded sooner. You can't simply discard the magnetic field caused by the current in the wires external to the disc. Meanwhile, with iron, the response can be very large to even rather weak magnetic fields. I could not come up with a clear qualitative picture in my head from using Biot-Savart of exactly how the magnetic field might look in the disc=it appears it might be in one direction in the upper half of the disc, and in the opposite direction in the lower portion. In any case, I think the problem is non-trivial, and I don't know that it even has a well-defined answer=minor alterations in the incoming and outgoing wires could have a huge effect on the result.
I misunderstood you the first time so I deleted my response. I think you can discard the magnetic field in the wires external to the disk, imagine the voltage and current so high that the magnetic field from the wires becomes insignificant compared to the magnetic field from the disk.

Charles Link said:
For north and south pole, I don't see any obvious ones. That would be a good place to start with a qualitative solution if you could demonstrate some kind of direction in the magnetization, but from what I can see, the magnetization ## \vec{M} ## might run in a circle, (around the whole disc), in the upper part of the disc, and in an opposite circle on the lower part. In that case, It appears poles might be virtually absent.
LOL, this is what i can´t wrap my head around.

Charles Link said:
To determine magnetic poles of the disk one would assume to follow the right hand rule, when I imagine it it seems north is the top of the disk.

Magnetosphere said:
LOL, this is what i can´t wrap my head around.
An example of this is a toroidal solenoid with an iron core. The magnetization ## M ## goes around the toroid in a circle. This generates virtually no magnetic field outside the toroid, but the field is very strong inside. Meanwhile there are no magnetic poles. ## \nabla \cdot M=0 ## or very close to it.

Likes Magnetosphere
Charles Link said:
An example of this is a toroidal solenoid with an iron core. The magnetization ## M ## goes around the toroid in a circle. This generates virtually no magnetic field outside the toroid, but the field is very strong inside. Meanwhile there are no magnetic poles. ## \nabla \cdot M=0 ## or very close to it.
Yes, but a toroidal solenoid does not have a parallel electric field like this disk. Here the electric force is at the same angle through the medium.

You have a very interesting problem, but I would suggest getting a very good proficiency with some of the more well-known magnetostatic problems, such as cylindrical magnets, and the problem of a magnetized sphere with uniform magnetization before attempting something of this degree of difficulty. See e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...perature-relationship-in-ferromagnets.923380/ You might find the students' experiment of some interest. See also post 21, where I used a boy scout compass to measure the magnetic field strength of a cylindrical magnet.

Likes Magnetosphere
Charles Link said:
You have a very interesting problem, but I would suggest getting a very good proficiency with some of the more well-known magnetostatic problems, such as cylindrical magnets, and the problem of a magnetized sphere with uniform magnetization before attempting something of this degree of difficulty. See e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...perature-relationship-in-ferromagnets.923380/ You might find the students' experiment of some interest. See also post 21, where I used a boy scout compass to measure the magnetic field strength of a cylindrical magnet.
I need to find out that´s why I found this place. I suspect the answer is easier than I think, I just can´t see it on my own. I strongly suspect the disk has poles, that´s really all I need to know, does it have poles and where are they in relationship to the axis?