Need help with permeability of free space.

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab in which the magnetic field of a solenoid was calculated by increasing the number of wraps around the electromagnet and plotting the results on a graph. The slope of the line of best fit was found to be 0.0027*10^-3, which is twice the actual value of the permeability of free space. Attempts were made to justify this difference, but none were successful. The conversation also touches on the interpretation of the graph, the meaning of the symbol N, and the theoretical formula for the magnetic field.
bory2eye

Homework Statement

In a lab that I did in Physics we calculated the magnetic field of a solenoid while constantly increasing the number of time the wire was wrapped around the electromagnet. After I obtained all the values, plotted it in a graph and found the line of best fit, the slope came out to be 0.0027*10^-3. I learned that the slope in an N vs. B graph is the permeability of free space multiplied by the current. The current was set to one and I made sure with an Ammeter. I am concerned that my calculated value of the permeability of free space is more than double of the actual constant, 4*pi*10^-6.

Homework Equations

B = 0.0027*10^-3N + 0.0906

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried justifying with the sensor picking up the magnetic field of the Earth as well, or magnetization of the solenoid but I can't seem to be obtaining the right justification.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, welcome to PF!

The usual interpretation of "N vs. B graph" is a graph with N plotted on the vertical axis and B plotted on the horizontal axis. Is this how you plotted your graph?

Does your symbol N stand for the total number of turns (wraps) of wire, or does it stand for the number of turns per unit length?

Can you state the "theoretical formula" for the magnetic field that shows how B depends on the current and other properties of the solenoid?

Typo: the permeability of free space is 4π*10-7 Tm/A.

1. What is permeability of free space?

Permeability of free space is a physical constant that describes the ability of a material to allow electromagnetic waves to pass through it.

2. How is permeability of free space measured?

Permeability of free space is measured in units of Henrys per meter (H/m) and is denoted by the symbol μ0.

3. What is the value of permeability of free space?

The value of permeability of free space is approximately 4π × 10^-7 H/m.

4. What is the importance of permeability of free space in physics?

Permeability of free space is a fundamental constant in electromagnetism and is used in equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

5. Can the permeability of free space be changed?

No, the permeability of free space is a constant and cannot be changed. However, it can vary depending on the material it is passing through.