Need help with heat transfe (conduction) questions

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of finding the final answers for the rate of heat transfer and flow required to freeze water in a small pond with a 1cm thick layer of ice on its surface at an air temperature of -10 C. The steps (a-c) involve finding the temperature of the liquid water below the ice, the expression for the rate of heat transfer, and the expression for the rate of heat flow. The problem also involves finding the initial rate at which ice is added to the layer and how long it takes for a 20cm layer to build up. Additional equations such as H=dQ/dT and H=kA(Th-Tc)/L are mentioned as possible solutions.
doctordiddy

Homework Statement

A small pond has a layer of ice 1cm thick floating on its surface.

The air temperature is -10 C.

Steps (a-c) should help you fi nd the final answers in (d) and (e)

(a) What is the temperature of the liquid water just below the ice?

(b) Write the expression for the rate of heat transfer through the ice as a function of thickness of the ice?

(c) Write the expression for the rate of heat flow required to freeze the water?

(d) Find the initial rate in cm/hr at which ice is added to the layer.

(e) How long does it take for a 20cm layer to build up? .

Homework Equations

H= kA (Th-Tc)/L
H=dQ/dT

The Attempt at a Solution

For A) I am not sure of the formula to use, I know only H = kA (Th-Tc)/L, but the question only provides L and Th and expects me to find Tc somehow.

For B) and C) I'm not really sure what it means by an expression (like dQ/dt = kA (Th-Tc)/L?)
would B) be like dH(L) = kA(Th-Tc)?

For D) i have the save problem as in question A) where I do not feel I have enough variables to solve for dQ/dt

i think i can probably solve for e) once I get the other parts.

Please offer any help you can!

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying you cannot answer (a) What is the temperature of the liquid water just below the ice?

Related to Need help with heat transfe (conduction) questions

1. What is heat conduction?

Heat conduction is the transfer of heat energy through a material without any bulk movement of the material itself. It occurs due to the collisions between neighboring molecules, where the molecules with higher energy transfer their energy to molecules with lower energy, resulting in a net transfer of heat from hot to cold regions.

2. What factors affect heat conduction?

The factors that affect heat conduction include the thermal conductivity of the material, the temperature difference between the hot and cold regions, the thickness and surface area of the material, and the duration of the heat transfer process.

3. How is heat conduction calculated?

The rate of heat conduction can be calculated using Fourier's law, which states that the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the thermal conductivity of the material, the temperature difference, and the area of heat transfer, and inversely proportional to the thickness of the material.

4. What are some examples of heat conduction?

Some common examples of heat conduction include cooking on a stove, touching a hot pan, feeling the warmth from a fireplace, and feeling the warmth from sunlight on a metal surface.

5. How can heat conduction be reduced?

Heat conduction can be reduced by using materials with low thermal conductivity, increasing the thickness of the material, reducing the surface area of heat transfer, and using insulating materials such as foam or fiberglass to create a barrier between hot and cold regions.