Need help with finding angles RE: finding vector components

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resultant displacement from a starting point by breaking it up into x and y components. The confusion about adding 180 degrees when dealing with angles is addressed, and it is clarified that for the fourth distance, the angle is 60 degrees from the horizontal. Assistance is also requested for assigning angles correctly to avoid mistakes on the final exam.
mizzy

Homework Statement

See attached photo. Find the resultant displacement measured from the starting point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When it comes to angles, i sometimes get confused when to add 180 or not. FOr the first two distances, we don't have to find the components. For the last, we have to break it up into x and y components.

for the third distance:
x component = -150cos30
y component = 150sin30

IN MY ASSIGNMENT, I GOT THIS WRONG.

for the fourth distance:
isn't the angle 60 degrees??

Can someone help me get this straight about assigning angles? I don't want to make a mistake on the final exam.

THANKS

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the fourth vector has an angle of 60 degrees from the horizontal. Your work is fine so far.

Related to Need help with finding angles RE: finding vector components

1. What are vector components?

Vector components refer to the individual parts of a vector that make up its direction and magnitude. They are usually represented by x and y values in a two-dimensional coordinate system or by x, y, and z values in a three-dimensional coordinate system.

2. How do I find the angle of a vector?

You can find the angle of a vector by using the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent. The angle can be calculated by dividing the opposite side of the triangle by the adjacent side (tan θ = opposite/adjacent) or by using the inverse functions (sin⁻¹, cos⁻¹, tan⁻¹) to solve for the angle directly.

3. Can vector components be negative?

Yes, vector components can be negative. A negative component indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive component. In a two-dimensional coordinate system, a vector with a positive x value and a negative y value would point in the fourth quadrant.

4. How do I calculate vector components from an angle?

To calculate vector components from an angle, you can use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. The x component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle, and the y component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle.

5. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how does it relate to vector components?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In terms of vector components, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the magnitude of a vector by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components (magnitude = √(x² + y²)).