Need help with exhaust system (acoustic/valves/pulse)

In summary: If you wish to discuss further we can take this offline.In summary, the exhaust system for a Vtwin 45-degree engine, such as a Harley Shovelhead, plays a crucial role in the engine's performance. The primary tubes should be of the same length to optimize the pressure wave cycle and improve the scavenging of exhaust gases. This is known as exhaust tuning and is especially critical for 2 cycle engines. The length of the primary tubes can be calculated using a formula based on engine RPM and the degrees before BDC that the exhaust valve opens. However, due to the unique firing timing of the Vtwin, it may be more effective to
SwedishFred
Hi
Need some advice regarding my exhaust, I am building a dragbike.
Info:
Vtwin Engine 45degrees (Harley Shovelhead)
I whant to build a 2-1 (both cylinder connected to one pipe) I´ve learned that the primary should be at same length (driveabilty and performance) , If I don't do this, what's the effect, how to calculate it? I don't want to mess up a good Enginebuild with a terrible exhaust. Why I want diffrent length is that I can rebuild my existing ones.
Would be great if anyone whould help me out ;-)
best regards
Fredrik

Engineering news on Phys.org
To keep this as short and simple as possible, there is a pressure wave cycle created in each primary associated with each cylinder exhaust flow and the timing of this wave cycle is determined by the the primary's length from its cylinder's exhaust port to the exhaust end of the secondary and as the wave travels from from one primary's cylinder through the secondary it assists in the scavenging of the exhaust gases coming from the other engine cylinder. At certain rpm range of the engine this effect will increase the effective power of the engine. This is known as exhaust tuning on 2 cycle engines. In order to maximize this effect, the length of both primaries must be the same so that the pressure wave cycle time for both cylinders will occur at the same rpm range.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the issue; but, if you have any questions or need for me to clarify something please post to this thread and I will be glad to help.

ToSwedishfred:
This is an addendum to my above post.
What I should have respnded above, and I failed to do, is recommend above was that you contact a registered Harley Davidson dealer and discuss your issues with them.

At the same time one online site that extensively covers this subject, including the associated equations, and is a "must view" for you is:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Engineering_Acoustics/Sonic_Supercharging_of_2_Stroke_Engines

My above posts covers the basic reasons for making the primaries the same length and the basic principals; but, it is of a general nature and does not cover all of the issues related specifically to Two Stroke engines where the exhaust tuning is particlarly critical because it not only scavenges the exhaust gases from the cylinders but also simulataneously draws the fresh air/fuel charge from the crankcase into the cylinders.

As to exhaust tuning a Harley is a very difficult animal. However a drag race engine is quite easy. As already addressed the pipe time affects the scavenging of the engine. The negative pressure pulse is most significantly generated at the first significant change in size. It is a simple Calc to find the length for a specific rpm. Secondary scavenging is produced when the exhaust pulse from one cylinder passing the outlet of the outlet of another. This is not possible on a Harley. The 45 V configuration products am uneven exhaust pulse pattern. It is easy to have one cylinder Ajay in scavenging the other. It is impossible for this to work in a reciprocal fashion as the individual pipe lengths would need to change with every firing.

I would instead look at what is commonly called s Zoomie. In the drag race world these are the single pipe single flange exhausts. By maintaining consistant diameter and adjusting the length it is possible to tune the peak torque rpm via the primary reflected wave. To get the most effect the ends should be square cut.

Ketch22.
Thanks for your post, my above post was based upon a general knowledge of exhaust tuning, but was severly limited by my lack of experience with motorcyles and the lack of any experience with applying to 2 cycle engines as well. My backgroumd and knowledge on the subject is with 4 cycle auto engine intake tuning where the determination of the sonic velocity based upon close to atmospheric temperature and pressure air with a full throttle opening is easy; as opposed to determining that value for a cylinder dicharging a mixed exhaust composition gas and exhaust temperature and pressure depending upon the engine rpm.
At the same time, on my first application I used exactly the same "try a tube length and see where it helps" method you state above; and, I only researched the theory and learned the principles and equations later.

JBA, I am only to a limited amount saying "try it and see." What is challenging is that the 2 cylinder 45 vee causes the exhaust pulses to be out of synch. Best scavenging is when the cylinders can be timed to pulse exactly out of phase and help draw gasses. With your motor the firing measured in crank degrees of rotation is Cyl 1 + 315 o Cyl 2 + 405 o Cyl 1 etc. The odd timing prevents good coordination.

When you only look at primary scavenging the formula is easy. P = ( ( 850xED) / RPM) -3 Where P = primary tube length, ED = 180 + # of degrees before BDC the exhaust valve opens, RPM = the engine speed that you are tuning for. ( note these variables are for inches)

Once you have a length a pipe can be built (there are a few subtle tricks of the trade that we can discuss outside this thread). Here is the try it and see part. In general the shorter the tube length the higher the RPM the reinforcement will occur, conversely longer tubes are lower RPM. This effect will mostly overcome the mechanical parts of cam, valves, intake path, etc. The primary scavenging will drive the torque curve peak up or down. The effect is very similar to advancing or retarding cam timing. I would recommend in similar fashion to timing build the engine and get the bike on the track or at the least onto a Dyno. Armed with good info you can push the peak torque up or down within reason to get better hook ups

I recently posted a link in another thread. Here it is again for your reading. You may find some good stuff also on intelligently setting up your ride.

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/learning-curves-recognizing-a-race-friendly-dyno-graph/

Hi the Harley forums should be able to give you some info. Generally the best advice is given by the people who sell exhaust tubing. Someone like Burns stainless or SPD will give you a recommendation if you buy the tubing from them You may be able to find someone who specializes in building Harley systems and has done dyno work. Harley may also be worth calling. If you put the bike on a chassis dyno to test your design you will most likely be upset with what you find. Make sure you bring carb jets and a timing light. IF the headers make a difference you should also see different a/f ratios at the same rpm with the different systems. You will then need to correct/ change the a/f ratio to get a good comparison. To make things worse- you could see one system wanting different ignition& fuel # then the other system. In the end you may gain 5 hp

Related to Need help with exhaust system (acoustic/valves/pulse)

1. What is the purpose of an exhaust system?

The main purpose of an exhaust system is to safely and efficiently remove exhaust gases from the engine and release them into the atmosphere. It also helps to reduce engine noise and improve overall engine performance.

2. How does an exhaust system affect the sound of a vehicle?

The design of the exhaust system, including the type of muffler and the size and shape of the pipes, can greatly impact the sound of a vehicle. The acoustic properties of the components can either amplify or dampen the sound waves produced by the engine.

3. What are acoustic exhaust valves?

Acoustic exhaust valves, also known as active exhaust valves, are electronically controlled valves that can open and close in the exhaust system to change the sound of the vehicle. They are often used in performance cars to create a more aggressive exhaust note.

4. How do exhaust pulses affect engine performance?

Exhaust pulses are the pressure waves created by the exhaust gases leaving the engine. These pulses can have a significant impact on engine performance, as they can help to scavenge exhaust gases from the engine and improve its efficiency.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing an exhaust system?

When choosing an exhaust system, factors such as the vehicle's engine size, desired sound level, and performance goals should be taken into account. Additionally, the materials, design, and compatibility with the vehicle should also be considered.