Need help with an energy-related question

• Thread starter nehcrow
  • Start date
In summary, the fragments are ejected with different speeds based on their masses. The fragment with the smaller mass is ejected faster.
nehcrow

Homework Statement

In a fireworks explosion two fragments are ejected horizontallly back-to-back as the shell explodes 200m above the ground. One fragment (A) has a mass of 0.5kg while the other (B) has a mass of 1.0 kg.

(a) If the total energy of the system before the explosion is 1.0kJ and 80% of the energy is converted into the kinetic energy of the fragments, what are the speeds with which the fragments are ejected? Clearly specify which fragments corresponds to which speed.

Homework Equations

Ug = m*g*h
K = (1/2)*m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how much kinetic energy is distributed to each fragment

Your help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think "total energy" refers to total kinetic energy, so you don't need to consider potential energy.

Start off by writing out the equation for the conservation of momentum. That'll give you one equation. The other equation comes from the conservation of energy: the total kinetic energy should equal 0.8kJ.

Thanks alot! I get it now... conservation of momentum, why didn't I think of that :P

Sorry to bother you again but you could you mind setting up the equations?
I'm still not getting the right answers :(

BUMP, need help ASAP

You'll have to show some of your work before we can see how you're going wrong. We can't do the work for you...

I'm stuck on the same question. please tell me where I made an error.

momentum conservation equation, initial is 0 and final is [tex]-.5v_1+v_2[/tex]

so [tex]v_2 - 0.5v_1=0[/tex] ??

and energy equation gave me [tex]v_1+v_2=32.6599[/tex] ?.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Fady- said:
I'm stuck on the same question. please tell me where I made an error.

momentum conservation equation, initial is 0 and final is [itex]-.5v_1+v_2[/itex]

so [itex]v_2 - 0.5v_1=0[/itex] ??

and energy equation gave me [itex]v_1+v_2=32.6599[/itex] ?.

Any help would be much appreciated.

So from momentum conservation you've found that v1 = 0.5*v1, or if you prefer, v1 = 2*v2. That's fine.

Can you show how you worked with the "energy equation" to result in what you've written?

I equated [tex]800 J=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex] m=1.5kg[/tex] and [tex]v=v_1+v_2[/tex]. Is that right? then just rearranged.

Thanks for the help.

Not quite. You want to add the kinetic energies of individual pieces together. So

[tex] KE = \frac{1}{2}m_1 v_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_2 v_2^2 [/tex]

You are a legend. Thanks so much.

such a stupid error on my part, but I guess now I'll never make that error :)

Related to Need help with an energy-related question

What is the definition of energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It exists in different forms, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, electrical, and chemical.

How is energy related to the environment?

Energy plays a crucial role in the environment, as it is needed for all living organisms to survive and for natural processes to occur. However, the production and consumption of energy can also have negative impacts on the environment, such as air pollution and climate change.

What are some renewable sources of energy?

Renewable energy sources are those that can be replenished naturally and sustainably. Examples include solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass energy. Unlike fossil fuels, these sources do not emit greenhouse gases and have a lower impact on the environment.

How can I reduce my energy consumption?

There are several ways to reduce energy consumption, such as using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and properly insulating your home. Additionally, using renewable sources of energy instead of fossil fuels can also help reduce overall energy consumption.

What are some challenges facing the energy industry?

Some challenges facing the energy industry include finding sustainable and renewable sources of energy, reducing carbon emissions, and improving energy efficiency. There are also economic and political challenges, as well as the need for modernizing and updating infrastructure to support the transition to cleaner energy sources.