Projectile explosion velocity and direction of fragments

In summary: It made a lot of sense. In summary, the third fragment has zero momentum in the y direction because it was not created until after the explosion.
j_namtirach

Homework Statement

A gun fires a shell with the horizontal component of its velocity equal to 200m/s. At the highest point in its flight, the shell explodes into three fragments. Two of these fragments, which have equal mass, fly off with speeds of 300m/s relative to the ground, one along the flight direction of the shell at the instant of fragmentation and the other perpendicular to it in a horizontal plane. Find the magnitude and direction of the velocity of the third fragment immediatley after the explosion, assuming its mass is three times that of each of the other two fragments. Neglect air resistance.

Homework Equations

ρ = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm afraid I don't know where to start with this question. I was hoping somebody could at least set me off in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Two of these fragments, which have equal mass, fly off with speeds of 300m/s relative to the ground, one along the flight direction of the shell at the instant of fragmentation and the other perpendicular to it in a horizontal plane

Imagine the shell is fired in the x direction with y being the vertical. The other horizontal direction would be the z direction.

At the top the vertical velocity is zero so the shell is traveling horizontally in the x direction at 200m/s.

The first fragment continues horizontally in the direction of flight so (at least initially) it woud continue in the x direction.

The second fragment heads off perpendicular to the first in a horizontal plane so that would be in the z direction.

So before the explosion the shell has zero momentum in the vertical y axis. Two of the fragments also have zero momentum in the y-axis after the explosion. Applying conservation of momentum...

1)what does that tell you about the momentum of the third part in the y direction?
2)Is this really a 3D problem or a 2D problem?

Last edited:
It was less complicated than I at first thought. I've got it now!

Thanks a lot for the very clear explanation.

Related to Projectile explosion velocity and direction of fragments

1) What is the definition of projectile explosion velocity?

Projectile explosion velocity is the speed at which the fragments of a projectile are ejected from the point of explosion.

2) How is the projectile explosion velocity calculated?

The projectile explosion velocity is calculated using the conservation of momentum principle, where the mass and velocity of the fragments are taken into account.

3) What factors affect the projectile explosion velocity?

The projectile's mass, shape, and composition, as well as the amount and type of explosive used, all affect the projectile explosion velocity.

4) How does the direction of fragments from a projectile explosion determine?

The direction of fragments from a projectile explosion is determined by the angle at which the projectile is launched, as well as the shape and orientation of the projectile itself.

5) How is the projectile explosion velocity and direction of fragments used in real-world applications?

Understanding the projectile explosion velocity and direction of fragments is crucial in military and defense applications, as well as in the study of explosions and impact events in engineering and physics research.