Need help W/ Digital Camera Design Project

In summary, the conversation discusses a design project involving the development of an interface between a CMOS camera and a computer. The camera, c3088, uses a CMOS image sensor and can have its properties changed through an I2C interface. The microcontroller is connected to the computer via a serial port and can read commands and receive images in BMP format. The individual has connected the circuits and programmed the microcontroller, but is unsure how to get the camera to start taking pictures. They are seeking help and have attached a circuit diagram for reference. The first step suggested is to establish communication between the microcontroller and the camera through the I2C connection and then use a program like Hyperterminal to send and receive data.
vptran84
Hello,

I am currently working on a Design Project for my Senior project, and the aim of this project is the development and construction of an interface between a CMOS camera and a computer. This interface allows a user to get images from the camera, to change some of the properties of the camera as brightness, luminance, etc from a computer. The interface was implemented using the Atmel AVR ATmega16 microcontroller.

The Camera called c3088 uses a CMOS image sensor OV6620 from Omnivision . It has a digital video port that supplies a continuous 8/16 bit image data stream. All the camera functions, such as exposure, gamma, gain, white balance, windowing, can be changed through I2C interface by writing in some registers.

The communication from the microcontroller to the camera to change the properties of the camera is made using the I2C. The images from the camera are read following the Zoom Video Port Format implemented by the camera. The images read are in black and white because only the Y channel is read. To control all this communications the microcontroller is connected to the computer via serial port. The microcontroller read commands from the computer and perform the appropriate actions. The serial port is also used to receive the images in BMP format.

What I did so far was connected the circuits (see attached), and I programmed the AVR ATmega16 with a series of codes in C language. And I did this by using a JTAG Ice and AVR STudio 4.0

My predicament is that after I programmed the microcontroller, I don't know how to get the camera to start taking pictures because nothing pops up. I figured that I'm suppose to use another program such as Hyperterminal (serial port) and RealTerm...but I don't know how to use it. Also, I have not yet input a CLOCK into the Camera which is connected to the clock of the microcontroller, but there has to be some program that can get the camera to detect, work, and start taking pictures.

Anyways, if anyone could give me some help, I would greatly appreciate it. Attached is my circuit diagram.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• schematic diagram.pdf
    165.5 KB · Views: 396
Engineering news on Phys.org
Usually the first step in such a hookup is to get simple reads and writes working over the I2C connection. Can your uC read a status register or something from the camera? You could have it do that and send the data up the serial port to the PC (Hyperterminal is simple to learn).

Related to Need help W/ Digital Camera Design Project

1. What is the purpose of this digital camera design project?

The purpose of this project is to design a new digital camera that meets specific needs and requirements, such as size, features, and cost.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a digital camera?

Some factors to consider when designing a digital camera include the type and quality of the lens, the image sensor, the image processor, the display screen, the storage capacity, and the overall size and weight of the camera.

3. How can the camera's image quality be improved?

There are several ways to improve the image quality of a digital camera, such as using a larger image sensor, incorporating image stabilization technology, and optimizing the camera's software and firmware.

4. What are the current trends in digital camera design?

Some current trends in digital camera design include the use of mirrorless technology, higher megapixel counts, improved low-light performance, and enhanced connectivity and sharing capabilities.

5. How can the camera's battery life be extended?

To extend the battery life of a digital camera, designers can use energy-efficient components, optimize the camera's power management system, and provide options for external power sources such as battery grips or solar panels.