Need help understanding a lift coefficient formula

In summary: It's a measure of how much lift a particular wing or body produces relative to its weight. It's usually measured in kilograms/meter2.
5P@N
Please go to this Wikipedia article on Lift Coefficients, and behold the first formula. The last part of the equation has a "S" which is supposed to stand for "relevant plan area". Now, there was no explanation of what this "relevant plan area" is or means. I was guessing that it means the surface area of the airfoil, but this cannot be so, because as "S" is in the denominator of the formula, thus as the surface area increases, there is a diminished lift coefficient, and hence a diminished lift power (so my reasoning goes). I would write down the formula here, but for some reason Latex isn't working.

So: what is the "relevant plan area" referred to?

Physics news on Phys.org
"As relevant area is considered the wing area on profiles and the front area on vehicles."

For a given amount of lift, if you increase the area required to generate it the lift coefficient goes down. That's precisely what is written in the article with S in the denominator.

Relevant plan area refers to the area that significantly contributes to lift. On a normal airplane, S would just be wing area plus the area of the fuselage between the wing roots. But it also let's the formula apply to lifting bodies, airplanes with wide fuselages, chines, strakes, lifting stabilizer, etc.

It does. Thanks spamanon.

There is a lift coefficient for the wing, and a lift coefficient for the whole airplane (a.k.a. total lift coefficient). Total CL will be less than wing CL when the horizontal stabilizer generates a down force.

is anyone else having trouble with Latex? For some reason I don't have it anymore.

is a lift coefficient in units of meters/second^2?

Anyone?

I had performed a calculation of lifting force, and in order to be in Newtons, the lift coefficient would need to have these units...

5P@N said:
is a lift coefficient in units of meters/second^2?

Anyone?

I had performed a calculation of lifting force, and in order to be in Newtons, the lift coefficient would need to have these units...
The definition I found is dimensionless.

Related to Need help understanding a lift coefficient formula

1. What is a lift coefficient?

A lift coefficient is a dimensionless number used to quantify the lift generated by an airfoil or any other body in a fluid like air or water. It is a measure of the efficiency of the body in producing lift and is dependent on various factors such as the shape and angle of the body, the fluid properties, and the speed of the body.

2. How is the lift coefficient calculated?

The lift coefficient is calculated by dividing the lift force by the product of the dynamic pressure of the fluid, the reference area of the body, and the body's angle of attack. The formula is: CL = L / (1/2 * ρ * V^2 * S * α), where CL is the lift coefficient, L is the lift force, ρ is the fluid density, V is the velocity of the body, S is the reference area, and α is the angle of attack.

3. What is the significance of the lift coefficient formula?

The lift coefficient formula is significant because it allows engineers and scientists to predict and analyze the lift generated by different bodies in fluids. It is an important factor in the design and performance of aircraft, ships, and other objects that move through fluids.

4. How does the lift coefficient vary with different factors?

The lift coefficient can vary with the shape and angle of the body, the speed of the body, and the properties of the fluid. A change in any of these factors can affect the value of the lift coefficient and, in turn, the lift force generated by the body.

5. Can the lift coefficient formula be used for all types of bodies?

Yes, the lift coefficient formula can be used for all types of bodies as long as they are moving through a fluid. However, the reference area and angle of attack may need to be adjusted for different types of bodies, such as wings, propellers, or submarines.