Need help solving a differential equation

In summary: Sorry, you are right. Is not trivial. I was wrong.Your solution is$$f(x) = \left ( c_1 \Gamma_{\left(\frac{B}{A g i}+1\right)} J_{\left({\frac{B}{A g i}} , \frac{2 \sqrt{A C e^{g i x}}}{A g i}\right)}+c_2 \Gamma_{\left(1-\frac{B}{A g i}\right)} J_{\left({-\frac{B}{A g i}} , \frac{2 \sqrt{A C e^{g i x
maNoFchangE
Are there any known analytical method to solve the equation
$$
A\frac{d^2f(x)}{dx^2}+B\frac{df(x)}{dx}+Ce^{igx}f(x) = 0\hspace{1cm}?
$$
All quantities appearing in that equation are complex except for ##g## and ##x##.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is [itex]f_{(x)}=e^{a+bx}[/itex]. You need to find the complex constants a and b.

Thanks, but how do you come up with that solution? Have you ever found the above equation somewhere else and the solution is given like that?

maNoFchangE said:
Thanks, but how do you come up with that solution? Have you ever found the above equation somewhere else and the solution is given like that?

It is a trivial solution taught at any basic course of differential equations. If you have a differential equation written as [itex]\sum_{n=0} ^m c_n \frac{\mathrm{d} ^n f_{(x)}}{\mathrm{d} x^n}=0[/itex], then is is known that the solution is an exponential function.

depizixuri said:
It is a trivial solution taught at any basic course of differential equations. If you have a differential equation written as [itex]\sum_{n=0} ^m c_n \frac{\mathrm{d} ^n f_{(x)}}{\mathrm{d} x^n}=0[/itex], then is is known that the solution is an exponential function.
Please take a look again at the original equation, it is different from the one you suggest due to the presence of ##e^{igx}## in the third term.

There are many ways to solve it without previous knowledge of the solution. One is to make a Laplace or Fourier transform. It turns the problem into a very simple equation without any derivatives. You solve it, and reverse the transform.

maNoFchangE said:
Please take a look again at the original equation, it is different from the one you suggest due to the presence of ##e^{igx}## in the third term.
The exponential is easy to deal because exponents are added on multiplication.

depizixuri said:
One is to make a Laplace or Fourier transform.
I know what you mean there, but do those methods work for homogenous equation? For the moment just remove ##e^{igx}## from the third term, and then perform Fourier transform on each term. I will then get
$$
Ak^2F(k) + iBkF(k) + CF(k) = 0
$$
where ##F(k)## is the Fourier transform of ##f(x)##. How will you solve for a non-trivial solution of ##F(k)## in the above equation since the right hand side is zero? Even when ##e^{igx}## is retained, the equation in Fourier domain becomes
$$
Ak^2F(k) + iBkF(k) + CF(k-g) = 0
$$
I don't see how I can get an explicit expression for ##F(k)## in this case.

maNoFchangE said:
I know what you mean there, but do those methods work for homogenous equation? For the moment just remove ##e^{igx}## from the third term, and then perform Fourier transform on each term. I will then get
$$
Ak^2F(k) + iBkF(k) + CF(k) = 0
$$
where ##F(k)## is the Fourier transform of ##f(x)##. How will you solve for a non-trivial solution of ##F(k)## in the above equation since the right hand side is zero? Even when ##e^{igx}## is retained, the equation in Fourier domain becomes
$$
Ak^2F(k) + iBkF(k) + CF(k-g) = 0
$$
I don't see how I can get an explicit expression for ##F(k)## in this case.

Sorry, you are right. Is not trivial. I was wrong.

Is better to use Laplace transform, and even then you get a nasty work.

Your solution is

$$
f(x) = \left ( c_1 \Gamma_{\left(\frac{B}{A g i}+1\right)} J_{\left({\frac{B}{A g i}} , \frac{2 \sqrt{A C e^{g i x}}}{A g i}\right)}+c_2 \Gamma_{\left(1-\frac{B}{A g i}\right)} J_{\left({-\frac{B}{A g i}} , \frac{2 \sqrt{A C e^{g i x}}}{A g i}\right)} \right) e^{-\frac{B x}{2 A}}
$$

.. where [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is the Gamma function, [itex]J_{(\alpha,x)}[/itex] is the Bessel function; [itex]c_1[/itex] and [itex]c_2[/itex] are constants to adjust to your initial conditions.

Last edited:
Likes maNoFchangE
Thank you very much, I really appreciate your effort to help me. Just, can you please point out the steps you took to reach that solution?

Related to Need help solving a differential equation

1. How do I know if a problem can be solved using a differential equation?

Differential equations are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion. If you are trying to find a mathematical description for a situation that involves rates of change, it is likely that a differential equation can be used.

2. What are the steps for solving a differential equation?

The steps for solving a differential equation depend on the type of equation and the techniques available. Some common steps include identifying the type of equation (e.g. linear, separable, etc.), separating variables, integrating, and applying initial or boundary conditions.

3. How do I choose the appropriate method for solving a differential equation?

The method used to solve a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. It is important to have a good understanding of different techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Practice and experience are key in determining the most efficient method for a specific equation.

4. Can I use software or calculators to solve a differential equation?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators available that can solve differential equations. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques in order to interpret the results and ensure their accuracy.

5. What are some common challenges when solving a differential equation?

Solving a differential equation can be challenging for a variety of reasons. Some common challenges include identifying the type of equation, applying the appropriate method, and finding initial or boundary conditions. It is also important to check for any mistakes in the calculations and to have a good understanding of the problem and its context.