Need help plotting data points in GNUplot

In summary, the person is seeking help with plotting data points from a lab experiment using Gnuplot. They provide a data list with four columns, and mention that they have been struggling to get the error bars to show up. They then provide a possible solution for plotting the data points with error bars using a text editor and Gnuplot.
SrEstroncio

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me plot data points I got in a lab experiment.
I've been trying to plot points of data with Gnuplot but the error bars don't show up no matter what I do, below is the data list I am using as input, the first column is time, the second is displacement, the third one is the negative deviation and the fourth is the positive one.

Homework Equations

here's the data
0.2043 10 -0.0028 0.0039
0.4236 20 -0.0097 0.0130
0.6338 30 -0.0079 0.0049
0.8496 40 -0.0110 0.0088
1.0775 50 -0.0157 0.0152
1.2984 60 -0.0142 0.0169
1.5488 70 -0.0320 0.0271
1.7699 80 -0.0210 0.0340
2.0259 90 -0.0141 0.0118
2.2374 100 -0.0219 0.0188

The Attempt at a Solution

thank you for you attention

Physics news on Phys.org
, here's a possible solution for plotting the data points with error bars.First, open a text editor and save the data list as a file (for example, "data.txt").Then, open Gnuplot and enter the following command : plot "data.txt" using 1:2:3:4 notitle with yerrorbarsThis should plot the data points with the error bars.

Related to Need help plotting data points in GNUplot

1. How do I plot data points in GNUplot?

To plot data points in GNUplot, you will need to use the "plot" command followed by the data points you want to plot. For example, if you have two columns of data in a file called "data.txt", you can use the command "plot 'data.txt' using 1:2" to plot the first column as the x-axis and the second column as the y-axis.

2. Can I customize the appearance of my data points in GNUplot?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your data points in GNUplot by using the "with" command. For example, you can use "plot 'data.txt' using 1:2 with points" to plot your data points as simple dots. You can also choose from other options such as lines, impulses, steps, and more.

3. How do I add a title to my plot in GNUplot?

To add a title to your plot in GNUplot, you can use the "title" command. For example, you can use "plot 'data.txt' using 1:2 with points title 'My Data'" to add the title "My Data" to your plot.

4. Is it possible to plot multiple data sets in one graph using GNUplot?

Yes, it is possible to plot multiple data sets in one graph using GNUplot. You can use the "plot" command to plot each data set, and use the "title" and "with" commands to customize the appearance of each data set. For example, you can use "plot 'data1.txt' using 1:2 with points title 'Data 1', 'data2.txt' using 1:2 with lines title 'Data 2'" to plot two data sets with different styles and titles.

5. Can I save my plot as an image file in GNUplot?

Yes, you can save your plot as an image file in GNUplot by using the "set terminal" and "set output" commands. For example, you can use "set terminal png" to specify the output format as a PNG image, and "set output 'myplot.png'" to save your plot as "myplot.png".