How to Call Gnuplot from Fortran to Plot Data Points?

In summary, Gnuplot is a free and open-source command-line program commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to visualize and analyze data. It can be called from FORTRAN for seamless integration of data analysis and visualization. The system() function is used to execute a command line call to Gnuplot and pass data and commands from the FORTRAN program. Using Gnuplot with FORTRAN allows for efficient and customizable data visualization, and it offers a wide range of plot types and formatting options. However, there may be limitations such as the availability of the system() function on all FORTRAN compilers and a potentially steep learning curve for those unfamiliar with command-line programs.
Abraham
hello. I have a fortran code that has data points as output.

How do I get fortran to plot these data points using gnuplot?

Is there a way to call the external program from within fortran?

I am using fortran95, gfortran compiler. I'm on a windows machine, but
I'm connected remotely to the Unix machines in the lab.

Thanks,

Abraham

Technology news on Phys.org
Hi Abraham,

Try using the "system" subroutine.

Code:
CALL SYSTEM(gnuplot )

Whatever you put inside the parentheses gets passed to the command line (or terminal depending on your os.)

Hello Abraham,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It is possible to call Gnuplot from Fortran to plot data points. The first step would be to make sure that you have the necessary libraries and dependencies installed for both Fortran and Gnuplot.

Once that is done, you can use the system command in Fortran to call Gnuplot. This command allows you to execute an external program from within your Fortran code. You will need to provide the necessary commands and arguments to Gnuplot in order to plot your data points.

Here is an example of how you could call Gnuplot from Fortran:

system("gnuplot -persist -e 'plot 'data_points.txt' with points'")

In this example, the system command is used to call Gnuplot and pass in the necessary arguments to plot the data points stored in a text file called "data_points.txt". The -persist option ensures that the plot remains open after the Fortran code has finished executing.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or need more guidance, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,

Related to How to Call Gnuplot from Fortran to Plot Data Points?

What is Gnuplot?

Gnuplot is a free and open-source command-line program for creating 2D and 3D plots of data. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to visualize and analyze data.

Why would I want to call Gnuplot from FORTRAN?

Calling Gnuplot from FORTRAN allows for seamless integration of data analysis and visualization. FORTRAN is a powerful and efficient programming language commonly used in scientific computing, and Gnuplot provides a convenient way to create high-quality plots of the data being analyzed.

How do I call Gnuplot from FORTRAN?

In order to call Gnuplot from FORTRAN, you will need to use the system() function to execute a command line call to Gnuplot. This will allow you to pass data and commands from your FORTRAN program to Gnuplot for plotting.

What are the benefits of using Gnuplot with FORTRAN?

Using Gnuplot with FORTRAN allows for efficient and customizable data visualization. Gnuplot offers a wide range of plot types and formatting options, making it ideal for displaying a variety of data types. Additionally, the integration with FORTRAN allows for easy automation of the plotting process.

Are there any limitations to calling Gnuplot from FORTRAN?

One potential limitation is that the system() function used to call Gnuplot may not be available on all FORTRAN compilers. Additionally, the learning curve for using Gnuplot may be steep for those unfamiliar with command-line programs. However, there are many resources available online for learning how to use Gnuplot effectively.