Need help on lab based on Millikan's experiment using masses

In summary, the lab was an example of Millikan's experiment using masses. The students were given a list of approximately 50 masses of different samples, with each sample containing a different amount of an item. The task was to divide the 50 masses into approximately 8 categories and find the average. With these averages, the students had to find the mass of each item, the number of items in each container, and the mass of the container. The equation used was m = c + nI, where m is the mass of the sample, c is the mass of the container, n is the number of items, and I is the mass of each item. However, with too many unknowns, including the use of average masses
ConfusedKid3

Homework Statement

This lab is supposed to be an example of Millikan's experiment using masses. We were given a huge list of masses of different samples. Each sample contained a different amount of item. Each sample contained the same sample and the individual masses are the same. There were approximately 8 groups of samples. Each group contained different amounts of an item. Basically there were approximately 50 masses, and we had to divide the 50 into approximately 8 categories and find the average. The values that i got were:
m1 = 1284.625 (only contains 1 of the item)
m2 = 1523.89
m3 = 1796.625
m4 = 2033.56
m5 = 2301.22
m6 = 2549.18
m7 = 2797.125
m8 = 3061.67
m9 = 3269.125
I had to use these average masses to find the mass of each item, the number of items in each container, and the mass of the container.

Homework Equations

Q = ne - you don't actually use this equation directly.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing that i did was find an equation for the mass. I figured that the mass of the sample (m) must equal to the mass of the container (c) plus the number of items (n) times the mass of each item (I).
m = c + nI. n must be greater than equal to 1 and must be an integer.
For the first mass i got: 1284.625 = c + I (this is the relationship between the mass of the container and the item)
Either way, i have too many unknowns so i found the differences between the masses.
m2-m1 = 239.265
m3-m2 = 272.735
m4-m3 = 234.935
m5-m4 = 267.66
m6-m5 = 247.96
m7-m6 = 247.945
m8-m7 = 264.545
m9-m8 = 207.455
Since only the first one eliminates a variable i used that one.
239.625 = m2 - m1
239.625 = (c + nI) - (C + I)
239.625 = (n-1)(I) - this equation is for the increase in the number of items from one sample
i isolated for n and get n = (239.625 - I)/I.
I know that n has to be an integer, but the problem with this is that i used average masses. This could result in me not getting and exact value. Now at this point is where I am stuck. I have too many unknowns and can't really think of a way to eliminate one. Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
does anyone know how to do this?

Related to Need help on lab based on Millikan's experiment using masses

1. What is Millikan's experiment and why is it important?

Millikan's experiment, also known as the oil drop experiment, was conducted in 1909 by physicist Robert Millikan. It involved measuring the charge of an electron by observing the motion of oil droplets in an electric field. This experiment provided the first accurate measurement of the charge of an electron and helped to confirm the existence of individual particles, ultimately contributing to our understanding of atomic structure.

2. What materials are needed for Millikan's experiment?

The materials needed for Millikan's experiment include a glass chamber, an atomizer, a source of X-rays, a microscope, a high-voltage power supply, and various chemicals such as oil, alcohol, and water. The experiment also requires precise measurements tools such as a stopwatch and a micrometer.

3. How does Millikan's experiment work?

In Millikan's experiment, oil droplets are sprayed into the glass chamber and allowed to fall. Then, X-rays are used to ionize the air in the chamber, causing the droplets to become charged. The droplets are then observed under a microscope and an electric field is applied, causing the droplets to either rise or fall. By measuring the rate of motion and the electric field strength, the charge of the droplets can be determined.

4. What were the results of Millikan's experiment?

Millikan's experiment determined the charge of an electron to be 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs with an uncertainty of only 0.3%. This was a groundbreaking achievement in the field of physics and helped to confirm the existence of individual particles and their charge.

5. What are some real-world applications of Millikan's experiment?

Millikan's experiment has had a significant impact on various fields of science, including nuclear physics, particle physics, and chemistry. It has also led to the development of technologies such as electron microscopes and particle accelerators. Additionally, the precise measurement of the charge of an electron has been crucial in the development of electronic devices and modern technology.