Calculating net force on four masses around a center mass?

In summary: This can be factored out and then you only need to calculate the i and j components for each force.In summary, the problem involves a figure with a square of edge length 16.0 cm formed by four spheres with different masses. The task is to calculate the net gravitational force from these spheres on a central sphere with a given mass using the law of universal gravitation and unit-vector notation. To do this, the radius is calculated as the diagonal using Pythagorean's theorem and the forces on each sphere are determined. It is suggested that the problem can be made easier by recognizing that each force has a common factor and by finding the x- and y-components of the force.
rockchalk1312
In the figure, a square of edge length 16.0 cm is formed by four spheres of masses m1 = 4.50 g, m2 = 2.80 g, m3 = 0.800 g, and m4 = 4.50 g. In unit-vector notation, what is the net gravitational force from them on a central sphere with mass m5 = 2.10 g?

F = G (m1m2/r2)

To get the radius as a diagonal I used pythagorean's theorem to calculate √162+162=11.31m.

I've solved that the force on m1 due to the center particle is (6.67E-11)(4.50 x 2.10/11.312) = 4.93E-12.

Solving the same way as above:

force on m2: 3.06E-12

force on m3: 8.76E-13

force on m4: 4.93E-12 (same mass as m1)

Was that the right radius to use in the law of universal gravitational equation?

Now that I have those I don't know how to break them into unit vector notation and find the net force? Help please? Figure attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 11.01.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 11.01.53 PM.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write down a unit vector pointing from the central mass to m1?
Btw, you could have made things easier by recognising that each force has a factor mi, all else being the same. So you could have added up four vectors representing the four masses, then multiplied that by Gm5/(2d2)

rockchalk1312 said:
To get the radius as a diagonal I used pythagorean's theorem to calculate √162+162=11.31m.

You'll need to use 8cm for this calculation instead of 16cm.

I've solved that the force on m1 due to the center particle is (6.67E-11)(4.50 x 2.10/11.312) = 4.93E-12.

Be careful with your units here. To get the force in N, you'll need to use SI units for the other quantities.

haruspex said:
Can you write down a unit vector pointing from the central mass to m1?
Btw, you could have made things easier by recognising that each force has a factor mi, all else being the same. So you could have added up four vectors representing the four masses, then multiplied that by Gm5/(2d2)

Well what I don't know how to do is break up a diagonally pointing force into i and j components.

And by "has a factor mi", do you mean that the j component of each force is the same? If so why is that? Would you just add up the four vectors' i components and multiply that by the equation you gave above?

rockchalk1312 said:
Well what I don't know how to do is break up a diagonally pointing force into i and j components.

You just have to find the x- and y-components of the force. These are the i and j components.

And by "has a factor mi", do you mean that the j component of each force is the same? If so why is that? Would you just add up the four vectors' i components and multiply that by the equation you gave above?

haruspex was just trying to save you some effort by noticing that all 4 force equations have a common term Gm5/r2

Related to Calculating net force on four masses around a center mass?

1. How do I calculate the net force on four masses around a center mass?

To calculate the net force on four masses around a center mass, you must first find the individual forces acting on each mass. Then, use the vector addition method to find the sum of all the forces. This sum is the net force acting on the center mass.

2. What is the formula for calculating net force on four masses around a center mass?

The formula for calculating net force on four masses around a center mass is Fnet = F1 + F2 + F3 + F4, where F1, F2, F3, and F4 are the individual forces acting on each mass.

3. Can net force on four masses around a center mass be negative?

Yes, net force on four masses around a center mass can be negative. This means that the forces acting on the masses are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force that is less than zero.

4. What factors affect the net force on four masses around a center mass?

The net force on four masses around a center mass is affected by the magnitude and direction of the individual forces, as well as the distance between the center mass and the other masses.

5. How does the net force on four masses around a center mass affect the motion of the center mass?

The net force on four masses around a center mass determines the acceleration of the center mass according to Newton's Second Law, F=ma. If there is a net force acting on the center mass, it will accelerate in the direction of the net force.