Need help on an exercise from Gravitation(MTW)

• Thread starter shichao116
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the problem at hand is to derive the equation R_x(t)R_z(\psi)R_x(\theta)R_z(\phi) = R_z(\psi-tsin\psi cot\theta)R_x(\theta+tcos\psi)R_z(\phi+tsin\psi/sin\theta), where R_x(t) denotes an infinitesimal rotation about the x-axis, and R_z(\psi)R_x(\theta)R_z(\phi) denotes three consecutive finite angle rotations about the z, x, and z axes with Euler angles \psi, \theta, and \phi respectively. The solution involves using approximation and solving from both sides of the equation.
shichao116
Hi, I'm working on exercise 9.13 of the "bible" Gravitation. The problem I have is how to derive the following equation:

[itex]R_x(t)R_z(\psi)R_x(\theta)R_z(\phi) = R_z(\psi-tsin\psi cot\theta)R_x(\theta+tcos\psi)R_z(\phi+tsin\psi/sin\theta)[/itex]

Where [itex]R_x(t)[/itex] denotes an infinitesimal rotation about x-axis, i.e. t<<1. [itex]R_z(\psi)R_x(\theta)R_z(\phi)[/itex] denote three consecutive FINITE angle rotations about z, x, and z axis, with Euler angles [itex]\psi[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] respectively.

Can anyone help me on this? Thanks!

In case the latex doesn't work, I attach the equation below

Attachments

• equation.png
    equation.png
    6 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shichao116 said:
Hi, I'm working on exercise 9.13 of the "bible" Gravitation. The problem I have is how to derive the following equation:

[itex]R_x(t)R_z(\psi)R_x(\theta)R_z(\phi) = R_z(\psi-tsin\psi cot\theta)R_x(\theta+tcos\psi)R_z(\phi+tsin\psi/sin\theta)[/itex]

Where [itex]R_x(t)[/itex] denotes an infinitesimal rotation about x-axis, i.e. t<<1. [itex]R_z(\psi)R_x(\theta)R_z(\phi)[/itex] denote three consecutive FINITE angle rotations about z, x, and z axis, with Euler angles [itex]\psi[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] respectively.

Can anyone help me on this? Thanks!

In case the latex doesn't work, I attach the equation below

Since t<<1, you should solve this problem by doing approximation. And also, go from both sides of the equation.

(I don't want to type more words only if you're still searching for help :-p)

Related to Need help on an exercise from Gravitation(MTW)

1. What is Gravitation(MTW)?

Gravitation(MTW) is a textbook on the subject of general relativity written by Charles W. Misner, Kip S. Thorne, and John Archibald Wheeler. It is a comprehensive and widely used resource for understanding the physics of gravity.

2. What is the exercise about?

The exercise from Gravitation(MTW) may cover a variety of topics related to general relativity and gravitation, such as the Schwarzschild solution, geodesics, or the Einstein field equations.

3. Why is help needed for this exercise?

General relativity is a complex and mathematically intensive subject, and the exercises in Gravitation(MTW) require a strong understanding of the material. It is common for students to need clarification and assistance in solving these exercises.

4. What resources can be used to help with this exercise?

Aside from seeking help from a teacher or fellow student, there are various online resources and forums where students can discuss and receive assistance with exercises from Gravitation(MTW). Additionally, there are lecture notes and solution manuals available for reference.

5. How can one improve their understanding of gravitation and general relativity?

To improve understanding of gravitation and general relativity, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and differential geometry. It is also helpful to read and study from multiple sources, such as textbooks, lectures, and research papers. Additionally, actively engaging in problem-solving and discussions with others can deepen understanding and clarify any misconceptions.