Coordinates of the electric field vectors of a dipole

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field vector for an electric dipole located at the origin of a coordinate system. The potential of the dipole is given by a specific formula, and the task is to use the general relation E = -∇φ to find the coordinates of the electric field vector. The conversation includes a detailed attempt at a solution, with some help from the internet, using the product rule and other basic facts about gradients. However, there are some errors in the calculation, such as mishandling the term with the product of the electric dipole moment and the unit vector.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I might have solved that homework but I struggle to properly understand some steps, especially concerning the gradient and partial differentiation:

The potential Φ(r) of an electric dipole located at the origin of a coordinate system is given by:

[tex]
\phi (\vec{r}) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{|\vec{r}|^3}
[/tex]

where p is the electric dipole moment and r is the vector from the dipole to the point from which the potential is searched (see attached pic). The electric dipole moment is oriented in the x-direction.
Calculate from the general relation E = -∇φ the coordinates Ex, Ey, Ez of the electric field vector E.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\vec{E} = -\nabla \phi (\vec{r})
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To begin with, I imagine that what they mean with "coordinates of the vector" is basically equivalent to "components", right? Here is how I started:

[tex]
\vec{E} = -\nabla \phi (\vec{r}) = -(\frac{\partial \phi (\vec{r})}{\partial r_x} \vec{e_x} + \frac{\partial \phi (\vec{r})}{\partial r_y} \vec{e_y} + \frac{\partial \phi (\vec{r})}{\partial r_z} \vec{e_z}) \\
\implies E_j = -\frac{\partial \phi (\vec{r})}{\partial r_j} \vec{e_j}
[/tex]

Is that correct? My problem here is that I never really learned how to do a gradient (I guess it's time to learn!). So I've done the following steps with some help from the internet.

First we can remove the "constant terms" from the partial differential:
[tex]
E_j = \frac{-1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\partial}{\partial r_j} (\frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{r^3}) \vec{e_j}
[/tex]

Then I do the dot product and develop the magnitude underneath:

[tex]
E_j = \frac{-1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\partial}{\partial r_j} (\frac{p_x \cdot r_x + p_y \cdot r_y + p_z \cdot r_z}{(r_x + r_y + r_z)^{\frac{3}{2}}}) \vec{e_j}
[/tex]

I can differentiate the top and I can take "pj" out:

[tex]
E_j = \frac{-p_j}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\partial}{\partial r_j} (\frac{1}{(r_x + r_y + r_z)^{\frac{3}{2}}}) \vec{e_j}
[/tex]

I substitute with u = rx + ry + rz and differentiate:

[tex]
E_j = \frac{-p_j}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\partial}{\partial u} \frac{1}{u^{\frac{3}{2}}} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r_j} \vec{e_j} \\
= \frac{-p_j}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{-3}{2u^{\frac{5}{2}}} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r_j} \vec{e_j} \\
= \frac{p_j}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{3}{2r^5} 2r_j \vec{e_j} \\
= \frac{p_j}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{3}{r^5} r_j \vec{e_j}
[/tex]

Then I know that py = 0, but I think I cannot say what pz is equal too since the problem only says that p goes in the direction of the x-axis.

[tex]
E_x = \frac{3 p_x r_x}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^5} \vec{e_x} \\
E_y = 0 \\
E_z = \frac{3 p_z r_z}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^5} \vec{e_z} \\
[/tex]

I'm afraid this might be all wrong... :/ I didn't use the angle θ shown on the picture and that Ey = 0 doesn't really give me confidence. Maybe there is an easier way to solve that? What do you guys think?Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.Julien.

Attachments

• Photo 05-05-16 14 29 03.jpeg
    Photo 05-05-16 14 29 03.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're on the right track. However, it might be helpful to convince yourself of a few basic facts about gradients:

• [itex]\nabla (\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}) = \vec{p}[/itex] (if [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] is a constant vector)
  • [itex]\nabla f(r) = \frac{df}{dr} \hat{r}[/itex] (where [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is a unit vector in the direction [itex]\vec{r}[/itex])
  • [itex]\nabla \frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{r^3} = \frac{\nabla (\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r})}{r^3} +(\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r})(\nabla \frac{1}{r^3})[/itex]

@stevendaryl thanks a lot for your answer. It looks a lot like the product rule, can I think of it like that to memorize it? I'm soon going to post a correct answer baser on your indications.

Julien.

Now it looks like that:

[tex]
E_j = - \frac{\partial}{\partial r_j} (\frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{r^3}) \vec{e_j} = - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\partial}{\partial r_j} \frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{r^3} \vec{e_j} \\
= - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} (\frac{\vec{p}}{r^3} + \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r_j} \frac{1}{r^3}) \vec{e_j} \\
= - \frac{\vec{p}}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} (\frac{1}{r^3} + \frac{3 r_j}{r^5} \vec{r}) \vec{e_j} \\
= - \frac{\vec{p}}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^3} (1 + \frac{3 r_j}{r^2} \vec{r}) \vec{e_j}
[/tex]

Is that any better? It looks a bit crazy :)

Then I could replace all rj with an expression involving r and θ, that at least would make sense!Julien.

JulienB said:
Now it looks like that:
[tex]
E_j = - \frac{\partial}{\partial r_j} (\frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{r^3}) \vec{e_j} = - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\partial}{\partial r_j} \frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{r^3} \vec{e_j} \\
= - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} (\frac{\vec{p}}{r^3} + \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r_j} \frac{1}{r^3}) \vec{e_j} \\
= - \frac{\vec{p}}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} (\frac{1}{r^3} + \frac{3 r_j}{r^5} \vec{r}) \vec{e_j} \\
= - \frac{\vec{p}}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^3} (1 + \frac{3 r_j}{r^2} \vec{r}) \vec{e_j}
[/tex]Is that any better? It looks a bit crazy :)

Then I could replace all rj with an expression involving r and θ, that at least would make sense!

Julien.
There is a problem.

You have a term with the product ##\ \vec{p}\, \vec{e}_j \ ##.

As steven said, ##\ \nabla (\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}) = \vec{p} \,,\ ## so the j component of this gradient is simply ##\ p_j\ ##.

Also, you mishandled ##\ \vec{p}\cdot\vec r\ ##. It disappeared after the second line.

@SammyS hi Sammy and thanks for your answer. Then is that correct:

[tex]
E_j = - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^3} (p_j + \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r} \frac{3 r_j}{r^2}) \vec{e_j}
[/tex]

? If yes, can it be simplified? This is all pretty confusing and ugly looking.Julien.

JulienB said:
@SammyS hi Sammy and thanks for your answer. Then is that correct:

[tex]
E_j = - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^3} (p_j + \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r} \frac{3 r_j}{r^2}) \vec{e_j}
[/tex]

? If yes, can it be simplified? This is all pretty confusing and ugly looking.Julien.
Looks good.

That's for ##\ \vec p \ ## in an arbitrary direction. The statement of the problem has ##\ \vec p \ ## in the x-direction.

Likes JulienB
@SammyS Thanks a lot! Then, if I understood correctly:

[tex]
E_j = - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^3} ( p_j + p_x \cdot r_x \frac{3 r_j}{r^2}) \vec{e_j} \\
\implies E_x = - \frac{p_x}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^3} (1 + \frac{3 r_x^2}{r^2}) \vec{e_x} \\
\mbox{and } E_y = - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^3} (p_x \cdot r_x \frac{3 r_y}{r^2}) \vec{e_y} \\
\mbox{and } E_z = - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^3} (p_z + p_x \cdot r_x \frac{3 r_z}{r^2}) \vec{e_z} \\
[/tex]

Is that correct? I am still unsure whether pz = 0 or not. What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your precious help :)Julien.

Both ##\ p_y \text{ and } p_z \ ## are zero.

Likes JulienB
@SammyS Perfect, thanks a lot for all your help.Julien.

##(\vec p\cdot \vec r) ## is a scalar, it dos not have x, y, z components.
Accordingly, the electric field vector is $$\vec E = - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^3} (\vec p +( \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}) \frac{3 \vec r}{r^2}) $$.

If a function depends only on ##\vec r## you get the gradient easier if you formally differentiate with respect to ##\vec r##.
The potential is $$\phi (\vec{r}) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}}{|\vec{r}|^3}$$
##|\vec r |=\sqrt{(\vec r)^2}##. Take the negative derivative of $$\frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0}\frac{(\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r})}{((\vec{r})^2)^{3/2}}$$
with respect to ##\vec r##, It becomes
$$-\frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\vec p ( (\vec r)^2)^{3/2} -3 (\vec p \cdot \vec r )((\vec r)^2)^{1/2} \vec r}{((\vec r)^2)^3}$$

Rewriting ##(\vec r)^2=r^2##
$$\vec E = -\frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\vec p r^2 -3 (\vec p \cdot \vec r ) \vec r}{r^5}$$

Last edited:
Likes BvU
@ehild Hi ehild and thanks for your participation to the topic :)

I'm not sure what you mean with the x,y,z components of p⋅r. I also wrote it as a scalar just doing the dot product, and it turns out like that:

[tex]
\vec{p} \cdot \vec{r} = p_x r_x + p_y r_y + p_z r_z = p_x r_x \mbox{ since $p_y = p_z = 0$}
[/tex]

I'll take a look at the rest as soon as possible (I'm at work :biggrin:). Are you saying my previous result was wrong, or are you proposing an alternative way to solve it, possibly more efficiently?Julien.

Likes SammyS
ehild said:
##(\vec p\cdot \vec r) ## is a scalar, it dos not have x, y, z components.
Accordingly, the electric field vector is $$\vec E = - \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^3} (\vec p +( \vec{p} \cdot \vec{r}) \frac{3 \vec r}{r^2}) $$.

Rewriting ##(\vec r)^2=r^2##
$$\vec E = -\frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\vec p r^2 -3 (\vec p \cdot \vec r ) \vec r}{r^5}$$
This is equivalent to Julien's for the case ## \ \vec p = p_x \, \hat e_x \ .##

Julien did use ##\ "\cdot "\ ## for simple multiplication of ##\ p_x \text{ times } r_x \ .##

SammyS said:
Julien did use ##\ "\cdot "\ ## for simple multiplication of ##\ p_x \text{ times } r_x \ .##

Should I not? Sometimes I am confused about the conventions about products of different sorts, it seems a bit like everyone kind of does what they want as long as it is understandable.Julien.

JulienB said:
Are you saying my previous result was wrong, or are you proposing an alternative way to solve it, possibly more efficiently?Julien.
Your end result was correct, I only wanted to show an alternative method to get the gradient of a function.
There was a mistake in your first post
$$E_j = \frac{-1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{\partial}{\partial r_j} (\frac{p_x \cdot r_x + p_y \cdot r_y + p_z \cdot r_z}{(r_x + r_y + r_z)^{\frac{3}{2}}}) \vec{e_j}$$
There should be squares of the coordinates in the denominator. I don't see why you write the coordinates x, y, z as rx, ry, rz. As for the dot product ##(\vec p \cdot \vec r )## I might have misread something.

JulienB said:
Should I not? Sometimes I am confused about the conventions about products of different sorts, it seems a bit like everyone kind of does what they want as long as it is understandable.

Julien.
It was proper.

ehild said:
There should be squares of the coordinates in the denominator. I don't see why you write the coordinates x, y, z as rx, ry, rz.

Yes I forgot the squares indeed. As for ##r_j##, I just do that to make sure I don't get confused about which coordinates I am talking about. I guess it is pretty obvious though.

Thanks a lot to everybody for your contribution! ;) You guys are always so helpful!Julien.

Related to Coordinates of the electric field vectors of a dipole

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It can also refer to any system that has two poles, such as a magnet or an antenna.

2. How do you calculate the coordinates of the electric field vectors of a dipole?

The coordinates of the electric field vectors of a dipole can be calculated by using the equation: E = (1/4πε0) * (q/r2) * (2cosθx + sinθy), where q is the charge of the dipole, r is the distance from the dipole, θ is the angle between the dipole axis and the point of interest, and x and y are the coordinates of the point of interest.

3. What is the direction of the electric field vectors of a dipole?

The direction of the electric field vectors of a dipole is parallel to the line connecting the two charges, pointing from the negative charge to the positive charge.

4. How does the distance from the dipole affect the electric field vectors?

The electric field strength decreases as the distance from the dipole increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse-square law, meaning that the strength decreases by the square of the distance.

5. Can the electric field vectors of a dipole cancel out?

Yes, if the dipole is placed in such a way that the two charges are aligned with the point of interest, the electric field vectors can cancel out. This is known as the electric neutral point and can occur at specific distances from the dipole depending on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.