Need help learning about Dark Matter

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's research paper and presentation on dark matter for their senior project. They were looking for more information on their chosen topic and had a presentation structure in mind. They also mentioned their interest in the theoretical prediction of a WIMP particle type, particularly the nuetralino, and wanted suggestions for good sources. The conversation ended with a helpful source being provided by another person.
Bhumble
I'm putting together a research paper and a 45 minute presentation for an undergrad senior project. My chosen topic is dark matter. I'd like to get some more information and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. My presentation structure that I envision is something like this
-Intro
-Historical Origins
-Major Types (Hot Dark Matter (that I'm dismissing as not likely), Cold Dark Matter (I'm neglecting Warm)
- CDM MACHOs, WIMPs

The next part is a bit ambiguous because I would like to have a theoretical prediction of a WIMP particle type, specifically the nuetralino because I was going to conclude my presentation with methods of direct detection and present the DRIFT-II experiment.

I don't know anything about supersymmetry or the nuetralino and would like to. If anyone knows a good place find information or possibly the theoretical prediction of the nuetralino it would be a great help.

Also any suggestions are appreciated.

Space news on Phys.org
have you tried wikipedia? They might not have enough information for a whole paper and a 45 minute presentation, but it should be a good start.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is actually where I started and I have some of the presentation put together. I also have access to "Web of Science" and "JSOTR" through my university and found some info on the DRIFT-II experiment but get a little overwhelmed with misinformation whenever I search for dark matter or similar searches.

yeah I would steer clear of random google searches and ask around for good sources from your professor perhaps

I was just checking back to see if anyone else had replied and noticed that I had not thanked you. This is a fantastic source and really helps out a lot. Thank you very much.

Related to Need help learning about Dark Matter

1. What is Dark Matter?

Dark Matter is a type of matter that is thought to make up approximately 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments used to study the universe. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How do scientists study Dark Matter?

Scientists study Dark Matter through its gravitational effects on visible matter, such as galaxies and stars. They also use various astronomical observations, such as gravitational lensing, to indirectly detect and measure the presence of Dark Matter.

3. What is the current understanding of Dark Matter?

The current understanding of Dark Matter is that it is a non-baryonic, non-luminous substance that makes up a large portion of the universe's mass. It is believed to be made up of particles that are not part of the Standard Model of particle physics, and its exact nature is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.

4. Why is Dark Matter important to study?

Dark Matter is important to study because it plays a crucial role in the structure and evolution of the universe. Its gravitational effects hold galaxies and galaxy clusters together, and without its presence, our current understanding of the universe's formation and expansion would not match observations.

5. How does Dark Matter relate to other areas of science?

Dark Matter has implications in many areas of science, including astrophysics, particle physics, and cosmology. Its existence challenges our current understanding of the universe and may provide insights into the nature of space, time, and the fundamental laws of physics.