Need help in calculating Engine Air Flow and Specs Explanation

In summary, according to Jack, the formula for calculating air flow needed for an engine is VE%, and it is not mentioned in the Zenoah G320RC specs file. However, there are no easier ways to do the calculations, and a bigger air intake surface can affect airflow by taking advantage of the pressure waves created by the engine's cycle.
Firasf1dream
hello everyone,
i hope you're doing well, i am new to this forum so i am not sure if this is the right place for my question
what i am doing is trying to calculate the air flow needed for intake of an RC engine Zenoah G320RC
in the attachment files, it's a pdf for the info about the Standard Zenoah G320RC engine, but the one i am using is a tuned version of that one with a 30% to 40% more power, but will use the standard specs for the moment to learn, so i have been searching for calculating the air flow, the formula needs VE % but it doesn't seems to be mentioned in the specs file so i need your help to figure out how to calculate the Air Flow needed please ?

and i would like to know if a bigger air intake surface would have negative effect or it would be just more structural material which should be eliminated for weight purpose ?

thanks in advance to everyone

Attachments

• ZENO2014_AAaa_G320RC Technical info.pdf
    375 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
VE is calculated by dividing the actual measured airflow by the theoretical airflow that can go in the engine (displacement X rpm). So you either need to actually measure the airflow of the engine or used a complex engine cycle simulator to do the calculations. There are no easier way.

The intake design (cross-area and length) can affect airflow by taking advantage of the pressure waves created by the engine's cycle. Although, on the intake side of a 2-stroke engine, it is not of a big effect because the crankcase is part of the intake system; So it shouldn't make a big difference to alter your intake design (as long as you don't restrict the flow).

jack action said:
VE is calculated by dividing the actual measured airflow by the theoretical airflow that can go in the engine (displacement X rpm). So you either need to actually measure the airflow of the engine or used a complex engine cycle simulator to do the calculations. There are no easier way.

The intake design (cross-area and length) can affect airflow by taking advantage of the pressure waves created by the engine's cycle. Although, on the intake side of a 2-stroke engine, it is not of a big effect because the crankcase is part of the intake system; So it shouldn't make a big difference to alter your intake design (as long as you don't restrict the flow).

hello Jack and thank you for your reply, there is no way to measure that or in a software, so you saying that if my air intake surface is bigger it will do harm if it was a 4 stroke ? my engine is 2 stroke

I don't know if it will do harm, but it can affect the airflow. A given cross-section area and length of the intake system perform better at a given rpm. If that rpm doesn't coincide with the rpm range you expect from your engine, then it can do harm.

jack action said:
I don't know if it will do harm, but it can affect the airflow. A given cross-section area and length of the intake system perform better at a given rpm. If that rpm doesn't coincide with the rpm range you expect from your engine, then it can do harm.

ow ! ok thank you Jack for the info :)

Related to Need help in calculating Engine Air Flow and Specs Explanation

1. What is Engine Air Flow and why is it important?

Engine Air Flow is the amount of air that is consumed by an engine in a given period of time. It is an important factor in determining the performance and efficiency of an engine. The more air that can be brought in, the more fuel that can be burned, resulting in more power. Additionally, proper air flow is necessary for maintaining the correct air-to-fuel ratio for optimal combustion.

2. How do I calculate Engine Air Flow?

To calculate Engine Air Flow, you will need to know the engine displacement, the engine RPM, and the volumetric efficiency. The formula for calculating air flow is: Air Flow = (Engine Displacement x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency) / 2. For example, if an engine has a displacement of 2.0L, is running at 6000 RPM, and has a volumetric efficiency of 80%, the air flow would be (2.0L x 6000 RPM x 0.80) / 2 = 4800 L/min.

3. What is volumetric efficiency and how does it affect Engine Air Flow?

Volumetric efficiency is the ratio of the actual amount of air that is drawn into an engine to the theoretical maximum amount of air that could be drawn in. It is affected by factors such as air temperature, air pressure, and engine design. A higher volumetric efficiency means that more air is being drawn in, resulting in a higher Engine Air Flow and potentially better performance.

4. What are some common ways to increase Engine Air Flow?

One common way to increase Engine Air Flow is to install a cold air intake system. This allows for cooler, denser air to be brought into the engine, resulting in more oxygen for combustion. Additionally, upgrading the air filter and intake manifold can also help to increase air flow. Other methods include turbocharging or supercharging the engine, or increasing the engine's displacement.

5. Are there any potential downsides to increasing Engine Air Flow?

While increasing Engine Air Flow can result in improved performance, there are also potential downsides. If the air flow is increased too much, it can cause the air-to-fuel ratio to become too lean, resulting in engine damage. It can also put additional strain on other engine components, such as the pistons and valves. It is important to carefully consider and properly tune any modifications that may affect Engine Air Flow to avoid these potential issues.