Need help finding center of mass of a molecule.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass for a nitric acid molecule using particle mass and coordinates. The x and y values for each atom are determined and used to calculate the center of mass. The conversation also clarifies the coordinates and the distances being measured from the origin of the coordinate system.
Sneakatone
Figure below shows the shape of a nitric acid (HNO3)molecule and its dimensions. Treating the atoms as particles, findthe center of mass of this molecule.

a)I know that xcm=m1x1+m2x1+.../Total mass.
The total mass in this case is 63 but based on the picture I don't know which mass I should plug in for the x values.

b)ycm=0 because there is no y axis.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-03-24 at 1.46.27 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-03-24 at 1.46.27 PM.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 889
Physics news on Phys.org
The mass for every x value is the mass of the atom at that position.

What do you mean by "there is no y axis"?

so you mean for the 1st one 0.1 nm*1(mass of hydrogen)+0.141nm*16(mass of oxygen)/63?

theres no y-axis means there isn't an angle that goes 90 degrees.

Sneakatone said:
so you mean for the 1st one 0.1 nm*1(mass of hydrogen)+0.141nm*16(mass of oxygen)/63?

What about nitrogen?

theres no y-axis means there isn't an angle that goes 90 degrees.

There is a Y axis. And it is even clearly labeled as such.

a) 0.1 nm*1(mass of hydrogen)+0.141nm*16(mass of oxygen)+0.282*14(mass of nitrogen)/63
(should I use the two lengths by nitrogen 0.141nm+0.141nm or just 0.141nm*14g)?

b) the y-axis has a length of zero so when multiplied with the mass of oxygen it becomes zero.

Sneakatone said:
a) 0.1 nm*1(mass of hydrogen)+0.141nm*16(mass of oxygen)+0.282*14(mass of nitrogen)/63
(should I use the two lengths by nitrogen 0.141nm+0.141nm or just 0.141nm*14g)?

What are the distances measured from?

b) the y-axis has a length of zero so when multiplied with the mass of oxygen it becomes zero.

An axis cannot have a length of zero. An axis is infinite by definition.

the distances are measures from the 130 degree angle.

And I would think the distances are measured from the origin of the coordinate system, which is at the intersection of the X and Y axes. I advise that before going further, you should find out the coordinates of all the atoms in the molecule.

if the origin is O where the y-axis is labeled then coordinates are ,H(0,-0.1),N(0,0.141)

The molecule has 5 atoms.

H(-0.1,0),o(0,0),n(0.141,0), o(0.2,0.12),o(0.2,-0.12)

I assume the first number in all the pair is the Y coordinate, correct? It is unusual, but permissible. The first three pairs are OK. The last two, however, are completely wrong.

fot the last 2 I did .141cos65 ans added to .141

I am sorry, I have misread your message. The coordinates are correct. Now you have all the X's and all the Y's to compute the c. m.

thanks alot! , I plugged em into the equation and ended up with 0.131 for x and 0 for y.

Related to Need help finding center of mass of a molecule.

1. How do I find the center of mass of a molecule?

The center of mass of a molecule can be found by calculating the weighted average of the positions of all the atoms in the molecule. This can be done using the masses and coordinates of each atom.

2. What is the significance of finding the center of mass of a molecule?

The center of mass is an important parameter in understanding the physical properties of a molecule. It helps to determine its overall shape, rotational and translational motion, and stability.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating the center of mass of a molecule?

Yes, the formula for calculating the center of mass of a molecule is:
Center of mass = (m1r1 + m2r2 + ... + mnrn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)
where m is the mass of each atom and r is the position vector of each atom.

4. Can the center of mass of a molecule be outside of the molecule?

No, the center of mass of a molecule will always be located within the molecule itself. This is because the center of mass is determined by the distribution of mass within the molecule.

5. How can I use the center of mass to determine the stability of a molecule?

The position of the center of mass can indicate the symmetry and balance of a molecule. A molecule with a lower center of mass will generally have better stability as it will be less likely to rotate or tip over under external forces.