Finding the Center of Mass of a System Using Particle Concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses how the center of mass of a system can be found by treating each body as a particle concentrated at its center of mass. The homework equations state that the center of mass is equal to the integral of the position vector over the mass, while the attempt at a solution shows that the total center of mass can be calculated by summing the individual centers of mass of each body. This proves that the entire system can be treated as a particle system concentrated at its centers of mass.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Suppose that a system consists of several bodies, and that the position of the center of mass of each body is known. Prove that the center of mass of the system can be found by treating each body as a particle concentrated at its center of mass.

Homework Equations

## \vec R = \frac{1}{M} \int \vec r \ dm ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that there are ##n## bodies of mass ##{(M_i)}_{i = 1...n}## with center of mass ## {(\vec R_i)}_{i = 1...n} ## and volume ## {(V_i)}_{i = 1...n} ## all disjoint.

By a change of variable : ## M_i \vec R_i = \int_{V_i} \vec r \rho \ dV ##

The total mass is ## M = M_1 + ... + M_n ##, and the total center of mass is

## \vec R = \frac{1}{M} \int \vec r \ dm = \frac{1}{M} \int_V \vec r\rho \ dV =
\frac{1}{M} \sum_{i=1}^n \int_{V_i} \vec r \rho \ dV = \frac{1}{M} \sum_{i=1}^n M_i \vec R_i ##

Which proves that the whole system can be treated as a particle system concentrated on its centers of mass.

Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for looking at it :-)

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the entire mass of the object or system can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which an object would balance perfectly if suspended at that point.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by taking the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles in the object or system. This means multiplying the mass of each particle by its position and dividing by the total mass of the object or system.

3. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important in physics because it is used to describe the overall motion of an object or system. It is also used in calculations related to rotational motion, collisions, and stability of objects.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object if the object is irregularly shaped or has varying densities. In these cases, the center of mass may not lie within the physical boundaries of the object.

5. How does the center of mass relate to the stability of an object?

The center of mass is directly related to the stability of an object. If the center of mass is above the object's base of support, the object will be stable. However, if the center of mass is outside of the base of support, the object will be unstable and may topple over.