Need help find fourier transform for revision

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Fourier transform of a given function and incorporating a known formula into the solution. The expert suggests using a substitution and integration by parts to simplify the problem and eventually leads to the solution. The conversation also discusses the limits of integration and how to manipulate the given formula to match the desired outcome.
jac7
I need to find the Fourier transform to this function
f.jpg
and I'm really stuck, because i tried substituting it into the Fourier transform equations but i started to get a really long integral that got out of hand!
i also know that
f2.jpg
but i don't know how to incorporate it into finding the Fourier transform!

If someone could help me get started or give me some tips on easy steps for find the Fourier transform in general it would be much appreciated as my lecturer is away for easter!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fourier transform of f(x) is, by definition,
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty} e^{-ix\zeta}f(x)dx[/tex]

Your f(x) is [itex]xe^{-x^2}[/itex] so you want to find
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty} e^{-ix\zeta}xe^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

If you know how to do it with a "1/2" in the exponent, let [itex]y= x\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Then [itex]-y^2= -2x^2[/itex] so [itex]-x^2= -y^2/2[/itex]. Of course, [itex]dx= dy/\sqrt{2}[/itex], so that [itex]xe^{-x^2}dx= x(e^{-y^2/2})(dy/\sqrt{2}= (x/\sqrt{2}e^{-y^2}dy= ye^{-y^2}dy[/itex].

Now that leaves
[tex]e^{-ix\zeta}= e^{-i(y/\sqrt{2})\zeta}= e^{-i(y)(\zeta/\sqrt{2})}[/tex]

In other words, replace [itex]\zeta[/itex] with [itex]\zeta/\sqrt{2}[/itex] in the Fourier transform.

HallsofIvy said:
If you know how to do it with a "1/2" in the exponent, let [itex]y= x\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Then [itex]-y^2= -2x^2[/itex] so [itex]-x^2= -y^2/2[/itex]. Of course, [itex]dx= dy/\sqrt{2}[/itex], so that [itex]xe^{-x^2}dx= x(e^{-y^2/2})(dy/\sqrt{2}= (x/\sqrt{2}e^{-y^2}dy= ye^{-y^2}dy[/itex].

I don't understand what you've done here, when i subbed it in like you did i got
[itex](y/2)\sqrt{2pi}e^{-y^2/2}dy[/itex]

Note that if [tex]f(x)=\exp (-x^{2})[/tex] then

[tex]
f(\xi )=\int_{\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^{2}}e^{ix\xi}dx\Rightarrow f'(\xi )=-2\int_{\infty}^{\infty}xe^{-x^{2}}e^{ix\xi}dx
[/tex]

Does this help?

I'm sorry but i can't see where to go next or how it could help!
i know how you got that and i can see how its the same as my function, but you've already got it into transform form? but i need the transform of xf(x), i know that the transform of xf(x) is if'(xi) is it anything to do with that?

hello,

if you know the Fourier transform of [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex], then do integration by parts and you will get the solution right away.

i used

[tex]dv = x e^{-x^2} dx [/tex]

cheers

integration by part of the transform of exp(-x^2) or integration by parts of exp(-x^2)?

oh, i meant integration by parts on the whole transform:

[tex]\int{e^{-ikx} x e^{-x^2}}dx[/tex]

iv tried this and I've ended up with

[tex] \frac{-i\xi}{2}\int{e^{-x^2}e^{-ix\xi}}dx [/tex]

is this right? what do i do next?

good!

the integral is just the Fourier transform of [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex], which is given in the problem. you are already done!

the only thing is that i don't get a negative sign when i do the calculation, maybe you lost one along the way somewhere. of course, so might of I, but I'm just doing this for fun, so i will let you check. :smile:

cheers

jac7 said:
I'm sorry but i can't see where to go next or how it could help!
i know how you got that and i can see how its the same as my function, but you've already got it into transform form? but i need the transform of xf(x), i know that the transform of xf(x) is if'(xi) is it anything to do with that?
Bang on, with my idea, you have:

[tex]
\hat{f}(\xi )=\sqrt{\pi}e^{-\xi^{2}/4}
[/tex]

To find the integral you require just differentiate the above.

eczeno said:
good!

the integral is just the Fourier transform of [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex], which is given in the problem. you are already done!

the only thing is that i don't get a negative sign when i do the calculation, maybe you lost one along the way somewhere. of course, so might of I, but I'm just doing this for fun, so i will let you check. :smile:

cheers

thankyou!

but I'm given the Fourier transform of [itex]e^{-x^2/2}[/itex] is there a simple way of manipulating it so that its the transform of [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] or would i have to work that out?

hunt_mat said:
Bang on, with my idea, you have:

[tex]
\hat{f}(\xi )=\sqrt{\pi}e^{-\xi^{2}/4}
[/tex]

To find the integral you require just differentiate the above.

Thank you very much i think I've finally got it!

just a quick question though, when you did the integration for [tex]\hat{f}(\xi )[/tex] what limits did you integrate between? because when i integrate between infinity and -infinity I am not getting the same thing because the exponentials just disappear? am i missing something really obvoius?

jac7 said:
thankyou!

but I'm given the Fourier transform of [itex]e^{-x^2/2}[/itex] is there a simple way of manipulating it so that its the transform of [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] or would i have to work that out?

sure, just do the substitution [itex]u=\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex]. i think it will just put a factor of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] out front.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help!

cheers.

Related to Need help find fourier transform for revision

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a signal from its original domain (usually time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain. It allows us to analyze the different frequencies present in a signal and understand its overall composition.

2. How is a Fourier Transform calculated?

A Fourier Transform can be calculated using a mathematical formula that involves complex numbers. The formula takes the original signal and breaks it down into its individual frequency components, represented as sine and cosine waves.

3. Why is a Fourier Transform important?

A Fourier Transform is important because it allows us to analyze and understand signals in a more meaningful way. It is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to study and manipulate signals. It also has practical applications in fields like signal processing and image reconstruction.

4. What is the difference between a Fourier Transform and a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic signal (one that repeats itself) using a combination of sine and cosine waves. A Fourier Transform, on the other hand, is used for non-periodic signals and gives us a representation of the signal in the frequency domain. In simpler terms, a Fourier Series is used for signals that repeat while a Fourier Transform is used for signals that do not repeat.

5. How can I use a Fourier Transform for revision?

A Fourier Transform can be used for revision by helping you understand the different frequency components present in a signal. This can be particularly useful in subjects like physics, where signals and waves are a fundamental concept. Additionally, it can also be used for solving mathematical problems and understanding complex systems.