Need help figuring what this symbol means

In summary, the conversation discussed a symbol that looks like a line through two half circles with a vertical line intersecting them, resembling a stick figure without a head. The origin of the symbol is unknown and it is meaningless. However, some members suggested that it could represent orthogonality and a minor seventh flat 5 chord in music.
mhgl
It's a line through two half circles. Specifically:

Imagine about 40% of the bottom of a circle above about 40% of the top of a circle with a little space between them and then a vertical line starting above the circles and going through the middle of each circle and then finishing a little below the bottom circle. The end result looks a bit like a stick figure withour a head.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
mhgl said:
It's a line through two half circles. Specifically:

Imagine about 40% of the bottom of a circle above about 40% of the top of a circle with a little space between them and then a vertical line starting above the circles and going through the middle of each circle and then finishing a little below the bottom circle. The end result looks a bit like a stick figure withour a head.

Any ideas?
Where are you getting this from? Please post the source.

It was a facebook post with no reference to it's origin. sorry

mhgl said:
It was a facebook post with no reference to it's origin. sorry
So, it's meaningless. Sorry. Just because someone posts nonsense doesn't mean it deserves any thought.

I suppose if I had the source I would not need help/ Thanks anyways ...

mhgl said:
I suppose if I had the source I would not need help/ Thanks anyways ...
People post nonsense, don't spend time on it.

Is it this symbol? http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/11/119.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes me think its Φ.

micromass said:
That sounds like it.

micromass said:

By Jupiter! I think you got it, micro :smile:!

micromass and Evo - YES - you both got it. Thank you SO much!

mhgl said:
micromass and Evo - YES - you both got it. Thank you SO much!
No, Micro got it. (he's really smart)

But evo is the google queen!

I_am_learning said:
Makes me think its Φ.

Also. The symbol represented orthogonality and ,apparently with 'Finale' diagonally, a minor seventh flat 5 - half diminished chord- (the 4 note chord (1-3-5-7) of the seventh note of a major scale). {in C B-D-F-A) .
Not that that has anything to do with physics- even though many physics professors are avid musicians. (Not to mention many physics (and other) devotees here. mathal

Related to Need help figuring what this symbol means

What does the symbol represent?

The symbol likely represents a concept, idea, or object. It is used to convey meaning or information.

Where did the symbol originate from?

The origin of the symbol can vary depending on its context. It may have been created by a specific person or culture, or it could have evolved over time.

Can the symbol have different meanings?

Yes, a symbol can have different meanings depending on the context in which it is used. It can also have different interpretations by different individuals or groups.

How can I find the meaning of a specific symbol?

You can research the symbol's meaning by looking it up in a symbol dictionary or by studying its cultural or historical significance. You can also ask experts in the field or consult with others who may be familiar with the symbol.

Why is understanding symbols important?

Symbols play a significant role in communication and can convey complex ideas and concepts. Understanding symbols can help us better understand and interpret messages, cultural practices, and historical events.