How Can Everyday Observations Reveal Scientific Phenomena?

• Thread starter bamabhai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topic
In summary, this conversation is about finding interesting examples that use mundane, everyday items to collect data. Examples include measuring the distance of a star using parallax, using a microscope to explore visual observations, measuring the speed of sound with a microphone and tube, and measuring the speed of light with a bar of chocolate and a microwave oven. Other suggestions include measuring the speed of light, demonstrating vibrational nodes, and using psi wheels under a glass cover.
bamabhai
Hi people, I am new to the forum so I don't know whether I am posting this in the right topic.
The things is, I am looking for examples where interesting data which can be found with day to day mundane stuff.
For example:
Finding the distance of a star using parallax.
Parallax is something which one can experience easily, sitting around and observing a finger with one eye closed and then the same with the other. But this phenomena can also be used to calculate the distance of the moon or the stars(on a larger scale).
It does not have to be related to just physics or even science for that matter(although it would be preferred)
So is there anything else like it?
(sorry if I am not able to explain correctly, English is not my native language.)

Physics news on Phys.org
bamabhai said:
Hi people, I am new to the forum so I don't know whether I am posting this in the right topic.
The things is, I am looking for examples where interesting data which can be found with day to day mundane stuff.
For example:
Finding the distance of a star using parallax.
Parallax is something which one can experience easily, sitting around and observing a finger with one eye closed and then the same with the other. But this phenomena can also be used to calculate the distance of the moon or the stars(on a larger scale).
It does not have to be related to just physics or even science for that matter(although it would be preferred)
So is there anything else like it?
(sorry if I am not able to explain correctly, English is not my native language.)

This question in the Homework Help forums is an interesting example of how to weigh something using a pulley, rope and angles...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=624927

Thanks for the reply but I am looking for something a bit more interesting and easier to explain to people so that they do not get bored.

We have a lot of people here who have English as a 2nd language, or in some cases a 5th or 6th. You express yourself very well.
You didn't specify physics as a field of interest. Although that's indicated by the name of the forum, it is just a part of it. How about microscopy? I bought a microscope at the 2nd-hand shop a few months ago. Haven't used it much, because I have to buy more slides, but it can be very interesting. I don't know if that would be in your wheelhouse, because the observations are purely visual rather than having a mathematical component.
If you want pure math, you can start handicapping horse races. :rolleyes:
There's also an extensive engineering section here. If you like mucking about with cars or aeroplanes or kitchen appliances, we can set you up.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Maybe finding out how many ways there are to measure the height of a building with a barometer gives some inspiration.

I would add that if you lower it to the ground on a rope, you can swing it and measure the time of an oscilation. Then use the pendulum formulae.

Oops after reading I see it's already in there :rolleyes:

Hasn't there been a thread about somebody thought of it before?

Last edited:
Andre said:
Maybe finding out how many ways there are to measure the height of a building with a barometer gives some inspiration.

I would add that if you lower it to the ground on a rope, you can swing it and measure the time of an oscilation. Then use the pendulum formulae.

Thank you so much for that! That is the kind of example I was looking for.

Mech_Engineer said:
You could do some simple physics experiment, such as measuring the speed of sound with a microphone, tube, and oscilloscope:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Determine-the-Speed-of-Sound/

Thanks!
That goes on my list too.
The thing is I am sort of making a written presentation so I need examples which sound different and interesting.
The barometer/building one and this one are good enough but I am still need more to reach the minimum number of examples.

You're welcome :smile:

Another one, fill a glass jar with water, stir it vigorously so the water spins around. Then drop some sand grains in it. Notice what's going on, when the sand hits the bottom and why is that?

I need atleast three more.

bamabhai said:

Since you like sand grains, how about demonstrating vibrational nodes? Sprinkle sand on a steel plate and stroke it or poke it or otherwise get it moving with something like a violin bow or a small hammer or a radio speaker. The sand makes beautiful patterns.

bamabhai said:

How about you research some for yourself? We've given you more than enough links to sites that list HUNDREDS of examples for you to pore over...

Psi wheels under a glass cover maybe?

Note that the scam is exposed there.

Love you guys! Thanks!
I have them all.

Related to How Can Everyday Observations Reveal Scientific Phenomena?

1. What is the best way to find examples for my topic?

The best way to find examples for your topic is to conduct thorough research. This can include searching through academic databases, reading books and articles related to your topic, and looking for case studies or examples from reputable sources.

2. How can I narrow down my topic to find more specific examples?

To narrow down your topic and find more specific examples, you can start by brainstorming keywords related to your topic. Then, use these keywords to search for more specific information and examples. You can also try using filters or advanced search options when searching through databases or online resources.

3. Where can I find real-life examples for my topic?

Real-life examples can often be found in case studies, news articles, or reports from reputable organizations or institutions. You can also try reaching out to experts or professionals in your field who may have personal experiences or knowledge related to your topic.

4. How can I use examples to support my argument or research?

Using examples to support your argument or research is an effective way to provide evidence and strengthen your claims. When using examples, make sure they are relevant, accurate, and from reputable sources. You can also analyze and discuss the examples in detail to show how they relate to your topic.

5. What should I do if I am having trouble finding examples for my topic?

If you are having trouble finding examples for your topic, you can try expanding your search to different databases or sources. You can also consult with a librarian or your peers for suggestions or assistance. Additionally, you can consider changing or adjusting your topic to make it more manageable and easier to find examples for.