Need help designing a 'trip wire' type circuit.

In summary, the team is designing an automatic shut off oven system that will integrate smoke detector systems inside the oven. The smoke detectors work on a trip wire type alarm. The next version will cost you a hamburger.
fabiobollinge
My first-year engineering group is designing an automatic shut off oven system. We will integrate smoke detector systems inside the oven. Details about that don't matter.

Smoke detectors work on a trip wire type alarm. Alpha particles are emitted from a small source of Americium, the alpha particles ionize the air and complete a circuit. When smoke enters the system, the ionization doesn't occur and the circuit is broken and the alarm is triggered.

We will be using just the ionization system, but not the built in circuit with the smoke detector, because we need to incorporate it into a larger system, and modifying the existing circuitry would be almost impossible.

Disregard the ionization system and replace it with a simple switch - on or off. And replace the entire alarm function with lighting a simple LED. We can modify the circuit from there, I just need a circuit, preferably a schematic too, that will light an LED once a connection is broken, or a switch is turned off.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look up an LED, adjust the R according to the equation given. When the switch open, LED will light up.

Attachments

• LED.png
    LED.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 414
yungman said:
Look up an LED, adjust the R according to the equation given. When the switch open, LED will light up.

This works excellently, however the only way for it to work excellently is to allow a large current constantly through the trip wire. And for my project the current through the trip wire should be minimal, since it will be powered on for hours at a time, and it could also be battery powered!

If you have a solution, let me know!

Next version will cost you a hamburger!

I don't know what current you require, if the current is high, you might want to consider a Darlington NPN to lower the current on the trip wire. The Base resistor can be half the [itex]\beta[/itex] times higher than the R.

Attachments

• LED1.png
    LED1.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 448
yungman said:
Next version will cost you a hamburger!

I don't know what current you require, if the current is high, you might want to consider a Darlington NPN to lower the current on the trip wire. The Base resistor can be half the [itex]\beta[/itex] times higher than the R.

Thanks! I used that idea, but I used two transistors! I got away with having a 1M resistor on the switch closed circuit, then that current is enough to just barely open the first transistor, but the small current from that is enough to nearly fully open the second transistor, lighting the LED.

Thanks for your help!

Hey again! So I tried working this into a larger circuit. But my team is going to try to use photoresistors, so when smoke blocks a laser beam, the resistance goes up, and that acts as opening the switch.

Here's the circuit I made using help from above (posts above this one ;) ). The idea is when left left most switch is opened, current is redirected the the first LED (LEDs are circles here), then the second switch opens (middle right) and turns on the second LED, and when the third switch opens (top right) the third LED goes on, and a transistor is opened, completely an exterior circuit (represented by the LED on the far right).

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/9838/oven20triggers.jpg

FYI, the max current for the LEDs is 20mA, and current source is a 9V battery.

The simulator I used was this one: http://www.falstad.com/circuit/

Now I would like to replace the switches with a system dependant on photoresistors, so when resistance is max, it acts an open switch, and vice versa.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Need help designing a 'trip wire' type circuit.

1. What is a "trip wire" type circuit?

A "trip wire" type circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses a wire or sensor to detect movement or changes in the environment. When the wire or sensor is triggered, it sets off a series of events within the circuit, such as sounding an alarm or turning on a light.

2. How does a "trip wire" type circuit work?

A "trip wire" type circuit typically consists of a power source, a sensing element (such as a wire or sensor), a control unit, and an output device (such as an alarm or light). When the sensing element is triggered, it sends a signal to the control unit, which then activates the output device.

3. What are the components needed to design a "trip wire" type circuit?

The components needed to design a "trip wire" type circuit may vary, but some common components include a power source (such as a battery or AC power supply), a sensing element (such as a wire or sensor), a control unit (such as a microcontroller or timer), and an output device (such as an alarm or light).

4. How can I make a "trip wire" type circuit more sensitive?

To make a "trip wire" type circuit more sensitive, you can adjust the sensitivity of the sensing element or use multiple sensing elements in parallel. Additionally, you can use a more sensitive control unit or adjust the programming to trigger the output device with smaller changes in the environment.

5. What are some practical applications of a "trip wire" type circuit?

A "trip wire" type circuit has various practical applications, such as security systems, motion-activated lights, and door/window alarms. It can also be used in scientific experiments to detect changes in the environment, such as changes in temperature or humidity.