Help about using weight sensor in a circuit

In summary: This may be either open collector (like a computer mouse) or TTL (transistor logic). Probably not what you want.
Tahmeed
I am designing a circuit, in this simple circuit, when a weight isn't applied, the switch will go off and the circuit won't work until a certain weight is applied, how can i design it?? i am totally new and doing this for a science club, i have never designed any circuits with censor. so please be elaborate in your description, if possible, please give a simple drawing of a possible design and i will modify it according to my need.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A search for "weight sensor" on Amazon.com returned 88,673 hits.

Tahmeed said:
I am designing a circuit, in this simple circuit, when a weight isn't applied, the switch will go off and the circuit won't work until a certain weight is applied, how can i design it?? i am totally new and doing this for a science club, i have never designed any circuits with censor. so please be elaborate in your description, if possible, please give a simple drawing of a possible design and i will modify it according to my need.

Thanks.

Try doing a Google Images search on Limit Switch:

http://3.imimg.com/data3/YP/XH/MY-3059229/limit-switch-250x250.jpg
limit-switch-250x250.jpg

You could improve the Google Images search by adding the term Circuit to the end of it to get some typical schematics...

:smile:

Likes stedwards
Weight is force.
One can buy force sensors.

Force will compress or stretch a spring, changing force into movement.
You could detect movement with a switch like the picture above
or with the optical wheel sensor from a junkshop computer mouse

to change force into movement with some accuracy,,
check out Hooke's Law
http://www.britannica.com/science/Hookes-law

jim hardy said:
Weight is force.
One can buy force sensors.

yup, commonly called Load CellsDave

There are many approaches, some alluded to above. It depends a lot on your mechanical constraints, which you have not been clear about. Are you allowed to have something move, or does it have to be an essentially solid/steady platform? If it can move, how much?

Putting rocks in a basket connected to a spring is a different problem from putting rocks on a tabletop that is essentially solid. Or are you pouring water is a bucket? Adding people to a platform? We have no idea.

But is does boil down to either:

a load cell (or strain gauge) that drives a detection circuit. This requires a load cell amplifier and comparator to drive a relay or something. Probably not what you want.
OR
a switch (mechanical or optical) that detects spring displacement (or the like).

Related to Help about using weight sensor in a circuit

1. How does a weight sensor work in a circuit?

A weight sensor, also known as a load cell, works by measuring the strain or deformation of a material caused by a applied force. This strain is converted into an electrical signal which can be read by a circuit.

2. What types of weight sensors are commonly used in circuits?

The most commonly used weight sensors in circuits are strain gauge load cells and piezoelectric sensors. Strain gauge load cells use a strain gauge to measure the deformation, while piezoelectric sensors use a crystal that generates an electrical charge when pressure is applied.

3. How can I calibrate a weight sensor in a circuit?

To calibrate a weight sensor in a circuit, you will need to know the sensitivity and range of the sensor. You can then use known weights or forces to adjust the circuit and ensure accurate readings. Some weight sensors may also have a calibration function built-in.

4. What are some common applications of weight sensors in circuits?

Weight sensors are used in a variety of applications, such as in industrial scales, automotive scales, and medical equipment. They can also be used in smart home devices, such as bathroom scales or kitchen scales.

5. What are some important considerations when using a weight sensor in a circuit?

When using a weight sensor in a circuit, it is important to consider the maximum weight capacity, sensitivity, and accuracy of the sensor. You should also ensure that the circuit is properly calibrated and that the sensor is protected from any external factors that may affect its readings, such as temperature or vibration.