Need help designing a model and using excel

In summary, the conversation is about developing a model to maximize ROI for a car by investing in different components. The person is using the Solver in Excel but believes their model may be incorrect. They have ranked the importance of the components using AHP and have entered their current baselines and desired investments. The program should consider the importance ranking and a saturation curve, as well as other constraints. They also mention a sustainment piece and are open to comments on the difficulty of the model.
jpildave
Hello Everyone,

I would like some help developing a model. I am using the Solver in Excel, but the results are giving me counter-intuitive results. I believe it is because my model is incorrect. Once I get some help perfecting the model, then I will worry about translating it for the Solver in Excel. The following is a description of what I'm looking for.

Let's say I have a car and I want to maximize my ROI.
1. I can invest in any component of the car, like the engine, suspension, brakes, tires, interior, sound, etc.
2. I rank the order of importance of these components using AHP (don't need help with this).
3. I enter in my current baselines, which are completely subjective, but something like 40% across the board for all of the components (for example sake). In other words, my car is an all-around 40% of my ideal 100%.
4. I enter in what I want to invest in and what I think my gain will be. For example, one of my investments is that for $5000, I can improve my suspension by 20%. So forth and so on.

I want the program to be able to tell me how to re-arrange my dollars by maximizing my ROI. However, keep in mind that each component has its own importance ranking. Also, consider a saturation curve in that as components go towards 100%, the saturation increases, thus making a less attractive investment.

There are other constraints like my total initial investment amount must equal the total suggested investment amount, but I won't name them all, and I probably need help developing those too.

Another final piece to this puzzle is something like sustaining a component, but first I would like to solve the simpler version. In case you are wondering though, the sustainment piece also incorporates something like: If I don't invest $1000 in my tires, then I will lose 20% in tires.

I don't know how difficult this model is on a scale of 1 to 10. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I think I got it. But if anyone wants to send comments, feel free. Thanks.

Related to Need help designing a model and using excel

What is the best way to design a model for my project?

The best way to design a model is to first clearly define your project goals and objectives. Then, identify the variables and factors that will impact your project. Next, determine the relationships between these variables and create a conceptual framework. Finally, use Excel to build a visual representation of your model, using appropriate formulas and functions.

How can I effectively use Excel for my model?

Excel is a powerful tool for building models because it allows for easy manipulation and analysis of data. To effectively use Excel for your model, make sure to organize your data in a logical and consistent manner, use appropriate formulas and functions, and utilize features such as charts and graphs to visualize your data.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing a model in Excel?

Some common mistakes to avoid when designing a model in Excel include using incorrect or inconsistent formulas, not properly labeling and organizing data, and not double-checking for errors. It is also important to avoid overcomplicating your model and to regularly update and review it as needed.

How can I ensure my model is accurate and reliable?

To ensure accuracy and reliability in your model, it is important to use reliable and accurate data, double-check all formulas and calculations, and regularly test and validate your model against real-world scenarios. It is also helpful to have others review and provide feedback on your model.

Are there any additional resources or tools that can assist with designing a model and using Excel?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to assist with designing a model and using Excel. Online tutorials, forums, and courses can provide guidance and tips for using Excel effectively. Additionally, there are software programs specifically designed for building models, which may offer more advanced features and functionality.