Need help deciding summer classes.

In summary, the person is considering taking Pre-Calculus and Calculus over the summer and is seeking advice on whether it would be too intense to take both classes in a five-week session or if it would be better to take them separately over an eight-week session. They are also considering their age and playing catch up in their studies. Other forum members suggest taking Pre-Calculus over five weeks and possibly signing up for Calculus in the second five-week session. They also mention the typical progression of math classes and advise taking the classes if the person feels confident in their mathematical abilities.
Poker-face
I have just decided to go back to school at 31 to pursue a second degree in Math (My first degree is in Political Science). I tested into intermediate Alegbra after not having any Math since the 10th grade. I am about half way through, and have a very almost a perfect average.

My question to the forum is what do you think about taking Pre-Calculus (first 5 week session), and Calculus (second 5 week session) this summer? The college I am going to offers either one 8 week session or two 5 week sessions. Do you think that it will be to intense for 5 weeks, or is it doable, if that is my only class? My second option would be take just Pre-Calculus over the 8 week session, and Calculus 1 in the fall. The downside is like I said I am 31 and would love to play catch up if I can.

Thanks,

EG

Physics news on Phys.org
precalc, yes over 5 weeks.

calc, maybe not... that you should take your time in. although try signing up for it in the second 5 week session and seeing how you like it/if you get enough out of it.

im sure others can give more detailed answers.

If you're currently in intermediate algebra, the next step usually college algebra, then trigonometry, then pre-calculus. But if you've already got this covered, & you feel you know the information well, then I'd say yes to the pre-calculus class. Maybe not to the calculus class unless you feel you've really got you mathematics down.

Related to Need help deciding summer classes.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding on summer classes?

When deciding on summer classes, it is important to consider your academic goals, course requirements, availability of classes, and your personal schedule. You should also think about your strengths and weaknesses in certain subjects, and if a particular class will benefit your future academic or career plans.

2. How do I know which summer classes will transfer to my desired university?

You should consult with your academic advisor or the admissions office of your desired university to determine which summer classes will transfer. They will be able to provide you with a list of approved courses or evaluate the syllabus of the class you are interested in taking.

3. Can I take online summer classes?

It depends on the specific institution and their policies. Some universities offer online classes during the summer, while others may require in-person attendance. It is important to check with your school to see if online classes are an option.

4. How many summer classes should I take?

This will vary based on your personal schedule and academic goals. It is important to consider the intensity of the classes you are interested in taking and if you will be able to balance them with other commitments. It is also important to make sure you do not overload yourself and risk burning out.

5. Is it a good idea to take a heavy course load during the summer?

Again, this will depend on your personal schedule and academic abilities. While taking a heavy course load during the summer can help you graduate faster or catch up on credits, it can also be overwhelming. It is important to assess your capabilities and make sure you are not sacrificing your mental and physical well-being for the sake of completing classes quickly.