2 Math Classes Simultaneously in the Summer?

In summary: Make sure to stay on top of your studies and seek help if needed. In summary, the individual is considering taking both Elementary Differential Equations and Probability Theory in an 8-week summer session, as they are undergraduate prerequisites for their desired graduate program. They are concerned about the workload and timing, but are determined to make it work.
Ikern
My school offers both Elementary Differential Equations and Probability Theory in an 8-week summer session every year. Both of these classes are undergraduate prerequisites for the graduate program I'm applying to, and I anticipate that I'll basically need to take both of these courses simultaneously in the 2017 summer session in order to begin graduate school in the Fall 2017 semester. Is it sensible and possible for me to do this? I really don't want to wait another year to enter graduate school, and because I'm taking the prerequisite for both of these classes the spring 2017 semester immediately preceding the summer session, I can't take the classes any earlier. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ikern said:
My school offers both Elementary Differential Equations and Probability Theory in an 8-week summer session every year. Both of these classes are undergraduate prerequisites for the graduate program I'm applying to, and I anticipate that I'll basically need to take both of these courses simultaneously in the 2017 summer session in order to begin graduate school in the Fall 2017 semester. Is it sensible and possible for me to do this? I really don't want to wait another year to enter graduate school, and because I'm taking the prerequisite for both of these classes the spring 2017 semester immediately preceding the summer session, I can't take the classes any earlier. Thanks for your help!
There's not much overlap, mathematically speaking, between elementary ODEs and probability theory. The latter relies a little on integration, and the former is more complex, from a math standpoint.

I am surprised that you have omitted ODEs until so late in your undergrad career. There is a lot of material to cover in 8 weeks (ODEs are usually done as a semester course).

\
SteamKing said:
There's not much overlap, mathematically speaking, between elementary ODEs and probability theory. The latter relies a little on integration, and the former is more complex, from a math standpoint.

I am surprised that you have omitted ODEs until so late in your undergrad career. There is a lot of material to cover in 8 weeks (ODEs are usually done as a semester course).

Thank you for your response.

Having to take ODE so late in my undergraduate career wasn't by design; without going into detail, a combination of bad luck, unexpected problems beyond my control, and my own personal mistakes brought me to this point. However, the past is the past, and dwelling on it at this point won't change anything for the better. Accordingly, thank you for your insights into taking ODE in an 8 week session.

Obviously, I realize it's not going to be a piece of cake, but if I'm willing to work hard, do you think it's doable?

Ikern said:
\Thank you for your response.

Having to take ODE so late in my undergraduate career wasn't by design; without going into detail, a combination of bad luck, unexpected problems beyond my control, and my own personal mistakes brought me to this point. However, the past is the past, and dwelling on it at this point won't change anything for the better. Accordingly, thank you for your insights into taking ODE in an 8 week session.

Obviously, I realize it's not going to be a piece of cake, but if I'm willing to work hard, do you think it's doable?
It can be done, but there's a lot of material to cover. It's important not to fall behind, especially if you are taking probability theory at the same time.

Related to 2 Math Classes Simultaneously in the Summer?

1. How will I be able to handle the workload of two math classes at once?

It may seem daunting to take on two math classes simultaneously in the summer, but with proper time management and organization, it is definitely achievable. Make sure to stay on top of your assignments and prioritize your studying based on due dates and difficulty level.

2. Will taking two math classes at once in the summer affect my grades?

This will depend on your dedication and commitment to your studies. If you are able to put in the necessary effort and stay focused, taking two math classes at once should not negatively impact your grades. However, if you feel overwhelmed, it may be best to drop one of the classes.

3. Can I take any two math classes together in the summer?

It is possible to take any two math classes together in the summer, but it is important to carefully consider the workload and difficulty level of each class. It may be more manageable to take two classes that have complementary topics or similar levels of difficulty.

4. How will taking two math classes at once in the summer benefit me?

Taking two math classes in the summer can be beneficial for several reasons. It allows you to complete multiple math requirements in a shorter amount of time, freeing up your schedule for other classes or activities during the regular school year. It can also help you stay in the mindset of studying and retaining math concepts over the summer break.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with two math classes at once in the summer?

If you find yourself struggling with the workload or understanding the material in both of your math classes, do not hesitate to seek help. Reach out to your professors, classmates, or tutoring services for assistance. It may also be helpful to reassess your study habits and make any necessary adjustments to improve your understanding and performance in both classes.