Need Help- Centripetal plane problem

In summary, to find the radius of the circle in which the airplane is flying, we can use the equation a=v^2/r and the fact that the required force is provided by an aerodynamic lift perpendicular to the wing surface. By breaking the lift into two components and using the equation Fc = Fnsin35°, we can solve for r and get a final answer of 2421.59 m.
Lolagoeslala

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying in a horizontal circle at a speed of 420 km/h. If the wings of the plane are tilted 35° to the horizontal, what is the radius of the circle in which the plane is flying? Assume that the required force is provided entirely by an aerodynamic lift that is perpendicular to the wing surface.

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r
Fc = Fnsin35°

The Attempt at a Solution

So first i looked at what was given:
V= 420 km/h = 116.67 m/s
r= ?

Since i know that the plane wings are tilted 35° to the horizontal, i broke the Fn into two parts the Fn pointing towards the centre of the circle being Fnsin35°

So:
Fc= Fnsin35°
ma=mgsin35°
a=gsin35°
(v^2/r) = gsin35°
(116.67m/s^2)^2/(9.8m/s^2)(sin35°)=r
r=2421.59 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Lolagoeslala said:

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying in a horizontal circle at a speed of 420 km/h. If the wings of the plane are tilted 35° to the horizontal, what is the radius of the circle in which the plane is flying? Assume that the required force is provided entirely by an aerodynamic lift that is perpendicular to the wing surface.

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r
Fc = Fnsin35°

The Attempt at a Solution

So first i looked at what was given:
V= 420 km/h = 116.67 m/s
r= ?

Since i know that the plane wings are tilted 35° to the horizontal, i broke the Fn into two parts the Fn pointing towards the centre of the circle being Fnsin35°

So:
Fc= Fnsin35°
ma=mgsin35°
a=gsin35°
(v^2/r) = gsin35°
(116.67m/s^2)^2/(9.8m/s^2)(sin35°)=r
r=2421.59 m
Start by drawing a free body diagram for the airplane.

SammyS said:
Start by drawing a free body diagram for the airplane.

i did this is it...

http://s1176.beta.photobucket.com/user/LolaGoesLala/media/fff.jpg.html

Related to Need Help- Centripetal plane problem

1. What is a centripetal plane problem?

A centripetal plane problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object moving in a circular or curved path. This type of problem often involves understanding the concept of centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path.

2. How do I solve a centripetal plane problem?

To solve a centripetal plane problem, you will need to use the centripetal force equation: F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. You will also need to understand the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the relationships between forces, mass, and acceleration.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal plane problems?

Some common real-life examples of centripetal plane problems include calculating the forces acting on a car going around a curve, a satellite orbiting the Earth, or a person swinging on a rope in a circular motion. These situations all involve forces acting to keep an object moving in a circular path.

4. How does centripetal force affect the motion of an object?

Centripetal force acts perpendicular to the direction of an object's motion and towards the center of the circular path. This force causes the object to constantly change direction, which results in circular motion. Without the presence of centripetal force, an object would move in a straight line rather than a curved path.

5. What are some common misconceptions about centripetal plane problems?

One common misconception about centripetal plane problems is that centripetal force is a separate type of force, when in fact it is any force that acts towards the center of a circular path. Another misconception is that an object must move at a constant speed in order for there to be a centripetal force, when in reality the speed can vary as long as the object maintains a circular motion.