Need help analyzing and audio amplifier [final exam study guide]

In summary: You would basically use the voltage divider formula to find the voltage at the top of R4, correct? Then from there you can find the current going through R4.In summary, the problem involves analyzing a circuit with two transistors in a push-pull configuration. The first transistor, Q1, has no emitter or collector resistors, making it difficult to find its y-intercept on the DC load line. However, its y-intercept can be determined by considering Q1 to be "as on as possible" and looking at its characteristics in the datasheet. The second transistor, Q2, is in cutoff as long as Q1 is on. The circuit also includes an op amp with feedback, causing the voltage at the
BenBa

Homework Statement

bS7Lois.png

Homework Equations

See Image

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused where to start this problem. Obviously i need to get at the DC load line for Q1. But the problem is that I was taught in class that the DC load lines intercepts for a transistor are x-intercept Vcc and y-intercept Vcc/(Re+Rc). But Q1 has no Re OR Rc! So how am i supposed to find its y-intercept?!

Secondly I don't exactly know what open-loop voltage gain is, what is "open-loop" referring to? The voltage gain without the feedback loop? I am just unsure how to analyze the circuit like this?

Lastly, is by "closed loop gain" do they just mean the overall gain of this exact circuit?

Any help in guiding me through part a, b or c would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BenBa, Welcome to Physics Forums.

BenBa said:

Homework Statement

bS7Lois.png

Homework Equations

See Image

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused where to start this problem. Obviously i need to get at the DC load line for Q1. But the problem is that I was taught in class that the DC load lines intercepts for a transistor are x-intercept Vcc and y-intercept Vcc/(Re+Rc). But Q1 has no Re OR Rc! So how am i supposed to find its y-intercept?!
Suppose Q1 is ON and near saturation. What will Q2 be doing under those conditions? What is the current path for Q1's Ic? Is there more than one path?

Secondly I don't exactly know what open-loop voltage gain is, what is "open-loop" referring to? The voltage gain without the feedback loop? I am just unsure how to analyze the circuit like this?
Yes, it's the voltage gain without the feedback path.

Lastly, is by "closed loop gain" do they just mean the overall gain of this exact circuit?
Yes.

Any help in guiding me through part a, b or c would be greatly appreciated!
Looks like you've got the gist of it.

When Q1 is on an near saturation? Well aren't they in push-pull configuration? So whenever Q1 is ever on Q2 is off, i don't know what Q1 being near saturation entails...

BenBa said:
When Q1 is on an near saturation? Well aren't they in push-pull configuration? So whenever Q1 is ever on Q2 is off, i don't know what Q1 being near saturation entails...

Yes, Q1 being on implies Q2 being off. So that eliminates one current path. Being near saturation implies that the transistor is as "on" as it can be. Now it could be that the overall circuit precludes the transistors being driven to saturation, but we're looking at the load line here, which has as its intercepts the extreme possibilities.

If the given transistor (BD139) is saturated, what's its collector-emitter voltage? That should tell you what the maximum possible potential is at the emitter...

the collector emitter drop when Q1 is "as on as possible" is simply Vbe (Which is standard 0.7volts), right?

I think i just realized that the y intercept is at VCC/R4 because R4 is acting as the emitter resistor.

But why can we assume the transistor is "as on as possible"? Isn't the Q point somewhere in between?

BenBa said:
the collector emitter drop when Q1 is "as on as possible" is simply Vbe (Which is standard 0.7volts), right?
Nope. But it will be in that neighborhood. Look up the characteristics of the transistor.

I think i just realized that the y intercept is at VCC/R4 because R4 is acting as the emitter resistor.
Is R4 the ONLY path for the emitter current?

But why can we assume the transistor is "as on as possible"? Isn't the Q point somewhere in between?
Yes, the operating point lies along the load line (usually somewhere in the middle). But the end points of the load line represent the extreme possibilities of circuit operation. They occur at saturation and cutoff.

What characteristic of the transistor do i need to look at, our professor has never asked us to do that when the transistor is "as on as possible" so it it okay to assume it is essentially just 0.7?

Since this is DC analysis don't you cut off the Cout, so for the y intercept isn't the only place for the DC current to go through R4?

BenBa said:
What characteristic of the transistor do i need to look at, our professor has never asked us to do that when the transistor is "as on as possible" so it it okay to assume it is essentially just 0.7?
Do a web search on "BD139 datasheet". You're looking for VCE(sat). You should be able to locate the Fairchild Semiconductor datasheet PDF.

Since this is DC analysis don't you cut off the Cout, so for the y intercept isn't the only place for the DC current to go through R4?
Yes, Cout will be an "open" to DC. But is there anything else connected to the top of R4?

Ah the feedback!

That looks so complicated though, i have no idea how to approach that because it feeds back into the op amp which then feeds back into the transistor..

What's the DC potential where the feedback resistor terminates?

zero, because of the ideal op amp.

so the current splits between R4 in paraallel with R2 which is in parallel with C1, this is complicated

BenBa said:
zero, because of the ideal op amp.

Yes!

BenBa said:
so the current splits between R4 in paraallel with R2 which is in parallel with C1, this is complicated

Is C1 relevant for DC?

Gotcha! So the voltage is Vcc-Vsat-0.7 and there are two paths, but the current splits between R4 and R2. But we still don't know how much current is going out of the push-pull, right?

BenBa said:
Gotcha! So the voltage is Vcc-Vsat-0.7 and there are two paths, but the current splits between R4 and R2. But we still don't know how much current is going out of the push-pull, right?

VCE(sat) is the only potential drop of interest between the source +Vcc and the emitter (top of R4). It's the collector-emitter voltage.

If you know the potential at the top of R4 / R2 you can find the total current. Q2 is cut off, so no current there...

As you've already stated, R4 and R2 are essentially in parallel and thus comprise your RE...

So current out of the push-pull is equal to [Vcc-Vce(sat)]/[R4||R2] I get it!

But is this current also the same as the collector current for the Q point?

BenBa said:
So current out of the push-pull is equal to [Vcc-Vce(sat)]/[R4||R2] I get it!

But is this current also the same as the collector current for the Q point?

No, this just establishes one end of the load line (for part (a) of the problem). The operating point will lie somewhere along that line. What conditions are usually applied to establish the operating point?

Likes 1 person
So that i the y-intercept then? And we know our x-intercept is simply Vcc, right?

usually to establish the operating point after we know our intercepts we can write the equation [itex] i = \frac{-1}{R2||R4}Vce+\frac{Vcc-Vce(sat)}{R4||R2}[/itex]

But we know neither the operating current or the operating Vce so we can't just plug one into get the other, do we assume that Vce is in the middle of the x-axis (Vcc/2) for maximum symmetric swing? Or can we not simply do that?

Last edited:
BenBa said:
So that i the y-intercept then? And we know our x-intercept is simply Vcc, right?
For the load line y-intercept I just realized that you want to exclude the transistor from consideration (sorry about the Vsat digression, but at least it achieved the determination of the effective RE). The y-intercept will just be Vcc/RE since there's no RC to add to it. It's the current that would result if the transistor were a perfect switch with zero VCE.

usually to establish the operating point after we know our intercepts we can write the equation i = (-1/[R2||R4])*Vce+[Vcc-Vce(sat)]/[R4||R2].

But we know neither the operating current or the operating Vce so we can't just plug one into get the other, do we assume that Vce is in the middle of the x-axis (Vcc/2) for maximum symmetric swing? Or can we not simply do that?

The quiescent operating point occurs when the input signal to the overall amplifier is zero (assuming that the input would be a signal centered around zero). What current would you expect in the transistors when the input is zero?

gneill said:
For the load line y-intercept I just realized that you want to exclude the transistor from consideration (sorry about the Vsat digression, but at least it achieved the determination of the effective RE). The y-intercept will just be Vcc/RE since there's no RC to add to it. It's the current that would result if the transistor were a perfect switch with zero VCE.

Can you explain this a little more, did I make a mistake? Is our y-intercept still Vcc/[R4||R2]?

gneill said:
The quiescent operating point occurs when the input signal to the overall amplifier is zero (assuming that the input would be a signal centered around zero). What current would you expect in the transistors when the input is zero?

The current in both transistors should be zero if input is zero right? Aren't both off when the Vin to the push-pull is zero? Or are they both on?

BenBa said:
Can you explain this a little more, did I make a mistake? Is our y-intercept still Vcc/[R4||R2]?
No error, it's Vcc/[R4||R2].

The current in both transistors should be zero if input is zero right? Aren't both off when the Vin to the push-pull is zero? Or are they both on?

Rather than just tell you...

Consider the circuit conditions when the amplifier input is zero (grounded). The op-amp inputs are also at ground potential so the current through R1 is zero which means no current can flow through R2 either (where would it come from or go to?). What does that tell you about the potential at the R4 end of R2? In turn, what does that imply for the transistor currents?

(Note that the push-pull configuration precludes both transistors being on at the same time! The npn transistor requires a positive base bias (w.r.t. its emitter), while the pnp transistor requires the base to be biased negatively, and since their emitters are tied together and their bases tied to the same source, you can't have both turned on at the same time --- it's one or the other or neither).

Sp this means when the base input is zero both transistors are off, correct? How does this help us find the operating voltage?

BenBa said:
Sp this means when the base input is zero both transistors are off, correct?
Correct.

How does this help us find the operating voltage?
If the transistor is off, with its collector at +Vcc and its emitter at 0V, what is VCE?

The drop must be Vcc, but that is when it is non-operating, right? We still have yet to find anything that leads us to the Q-point of this transistor...i believe.

Last edited:
BenBa said:
The drop must be Vcc, but that is when it is non-operating, right? We still have yet to find anything that leads us tot he Q-point of this transistor...i believe.

No, that's the point that it operates around. When quiescent (no input signal) it sits at the cutoff point. The other transistor does the same. In a push-pull configuration one transistor handles the positive excursions of the signal and the other the negative excursions.

I apologize but i don't understand how this is the operating point if we were just considering the voltage drop when the transistor is off (not operating in my mind).

BenBa said:
I apologize but i don't understand how this is the operating point if we were just considering the voltage drop when the transistor is of.

It's not that it's off that is the important thing. It just happens to be off at its operating point. It's where the transistor in this case "idles" when there's no signal applied to the circuit. If you think about it, this makes the circuit very efficient since no current is drawn by the transistors with no signal applied. This is quite different from the case of the common emitter single transistor amplifier where the transistor must be biased to to some point in the middle of the load line so that it can handle both positive and negative swings of the input, and so draws current even when no signal is present.

BenBa said:

So far, you have been figuring out what happens to Q1 when it is on. Don't forget the output stage also has Q2.

So far, you have been thinking about what happens when the output of the op-amp stage is a positive voltage. Now think about what happens when it is negative.

So is this an accurate image of what the two Load lines look like?

qSQRqPs.png

gneill said:
It's not that it's off that is the important thing. It just happens to be off at its operating point. It's where the transistor in this case "idles" when there's no signal applied to the circuit. If you think about it, this makes the circuit very efficient since no current is drawn by the transistors with no signal applied. This is quite different from the case of the common emitter single transistor amplifier where the transistor must be biased to to some point in the middle of the load line so that it can handle both positive and negative swings of the input, and so draws current even when no signal is present.

I guess i never truly understood what the Qpoint was. I always just assumed that it was the collector current and Vce drop that the transistor "wants" to maintain when it is currently turned on.

Yes, the images look okay to me.

The Qpoint is where on load line the transistor "sits" when the circuit is idle (no input signal).

Isn't that a poor Qpoint because it is near the edge, so any amount of swing in one direction of input will cause the transistor to hit the rail. I was told that good transistors have Qpoints in the center of the line for maximal symmetric swing.

EDIT: or is it a perfect Q point because it means that when the voltage in is positive only one transistor is on and vice versa for negative voltage?

BenBa said:
Isn't that a poor Qpoint because it is near the edge, so any amount of swing in one direction of input will cause the transistor to hit the rail. I was told that good transistors have Qpoints in the center of the line for maximal symmetric swing

That is a concern for single transistor amplifiers. This is a push-pull configuration. When one transistor "hits the rail", the other is just beginning to turn on and take over. Each transistor handles half of the signal (assume a sinusoidal input for simplicity). As a result, theoretically they can both access their entire load lines to handle their half of the signal. A single transistor configuration must handle the entire signal on its single load line.

Awesome that makes so much sense!

Okay so now to get the open loop voltage gain. We just need to ignore the feedback resistor and capacitor and put in a signal and find out what happens to it.

Here is what i think, the input will either be positive or negative (or zero) so only one transistor will be on at a time, so we just need to find the gain from the push pull amplifier from one transistor.

But wait, if it's open loop and the inputs of the op amp are pinned at zero (because its ideal V+ = V-) then shouldn't all of Vin be lost over the first resistor? What does this mean for the output of the op amp?

If you cut the feedback loop, the mechanism that keeps the op-amp inputs potential difference at (essentially) zero is removed too...

I thought that the mechanism that kept the op amp inputs both at zero was a property of ideal op amps. Meaning that the inputs are both still held at zero because the plus terminal is at ground. Doesn't this imply that the voltage must drop to zero from Vin over just R1? How does that effect the output of the op amp?