Need guidance on using epoxy resin to fix floor issues?

In summary, the conversation is about a person renovating their house and wanting to use epoxy resin to fix a floor in one of the rooms. They have found that information on epoxy resins online and from local stores is not detailed enough for their needs. They are asking for recommendations on where to find more in-depth information about epoxy resins, specifically in regards to curing time, control, viscosity, toxicity, and shrinkage. The conversation also mentions the use of marine epoxy and caution when using exotic materials in houses. The person also asks for clarification on what is meant by "fixing a floor."
Hi guys,

I recently got my hands dirty renovating my house. Learned a lot.

I want to fix a floor in one room, want to try epoxy resin for this. Surprisingly, googling was less than satisfactory. Yes, I got it, many epoxy resins are wonderful and there are gazillions of them. That's not detailed enough for me.

And local construction materials stores' people have proven to be not too knowledgeable in the past. Asking them complex questions does not produce meaningful results.

Does anyone know a good place to learn "in depth" about epoxy resins? Like, which are curing fast and slow? How to control it? Are there some which have low viscosity in uncured state? (Sort of important for floor leveling). Toxicity? Shrinkage? Etc...

Engineering news on Phys.org
nikkkom said:
Hi guys,

I want to fix a floor in one room, want to try epoxy resin for this. Surprisingly, googling was less than satisfactory. Yes, I got it, many epoxy resins are wonderful and there are gazillions of them. That's not detailed enough for me.

And local construction materials stores' people have proven to be not too knowledgeable in the past. Asking them complex questions does not produce meaningful results.

Does anyone know a good place to learn "in depth" about epoxy resins? Like, which are curing fast and slow? How to control it? Are there some which have low viscosity in uncured state? (Sort of important for floor leveling). Toxicity? Shrinkage? Etc...
All the information you are asking is available from manufacturers of marine epoxy, and of course, it works well with timber in boat building, usually in conjunction with fillers or glass fibre cloth. But I would be very careful about using exotic materials for houses - things have so often given trouble in the past. The resin by itself has no strength, incidentally. I think it is often better to improve a floor by placing something like thick plywood over it.

tech99 said:
All the information you are asking is available from manufacturers of marine epoxy.

Every manufacturer tends to just praise their product...

you can look up the msds for the chemicals used, or look up the toxicity of them. a lot of the information should be on the datasheets.

nikkkom said:
Hi guys,

What does "fix a floor" mean here?

There are many things which can go wrong with a floor.

You should describe what problem you are trying to solve by using epoxy on a floor.

Related to Need guidance on using epoxy resin to fix floor issues?

1. What is an epoxy resin?

An epoxy resin is a type of polymer that is created by mixing two components, a resin and a hardener. When these two components are mixed together, a strong and durable material is formed that can be used for a variety of applications.

2. What are the properties of epoxy resins?

Epoxy resins have a number of desirable properties, including high strength, durability, chemical and heat resistance, and low shrinkage. They also have good adhesion to a variety of surfaces and can be easily molded and shaped.

3. How are epoxy resins used?

Epoxy resins are used in a wide range of industries, including construction, electronics, aerospace, and art. They are commonly used as adhesives, coatings, and composites for their strength and durability.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with epoxy resins?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with epoxy resins. This includes wearing protective equipment such as gloves and a respirator, working in a well-ventilated area, and following the manufacturer's instructions for mixing and handling the resin.

5. How do I choose the right epoxy resin for my project?

There are a variety of epoxy resins available, each with different properties and applications. When choosing an epoxy resin, consider the specific needs of your project, such as strength, flexibility, and curing time. It is also important to choose a resin that is compatible with the materials you will be using it with.