Need An Idea for a Brain Project....

In summary, the conversation discussed a brain project for a gifted enrichment course that involves studying various topics related to the brain and developing a unique application for it. The project should be at a high school level and should stray away from typical topics. Examples of previous projects were given, such as using MMORPGs for cognitive therapy and teaching meditative self-talk techniques in schools. The individual is seeking recommendations for a unique application, and suggestions were made for topics such as phobias, placebos, and neuroplasticity. The concept of "application" was clarified to mean applying the learned information to a real-world issue. Some potential ideas for the project include investigating the impact of sports on depression and studying illusions to explain information processing in the
infactuality
Forgive me if this is in the wrong category or if there are any issues, this is my first post.

My problem is that I need an idea for a brain project, as you may have noticed from the title. The class is a gifted enrichment course which, this year, is focused primarily on the brain. The gist of the project is:
- Study anything about the brain (ex: addiction, ESP, memory...)
- Develop a unique application that specifically centers around the brain.

We have already discussed left brain/right brain in class, so straying away from projects like those would be great.

The idea for the project can be any grade level, but preferably remaining within a high school level.

The most important part of this project is the unique application! Ideas for how to apply an idea (in terms of social, political, economic, artistic, etc, applications) would be greatly appreciated!

Here's an example of a few ideas from previous projects:
MMORPG should be considered as part of cognitive therapy to combat social anxiety struggles.
School districts should teach a course on meditative self-talk techniques to help students combat the stress of academics.

I would like to stray from any typical, expected projects (ex: projects about synesthesia, OCD, ADHD, etc).

The ideas I have come up with are studying phobias, placebos, and neuroplasticity, but discovering a unique application that isn't already being acted upon is where I am caught up. Any sort of recommendations are welcome.

I understand that the guidelines are very loose, and I am open to any questions regarding this.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
infactuality said:
- Develop a unique application that specifically centers around the brain.
In come contexts, "application" means a computer program. What does "application" mean in you situation?

Stephen Tashi said:
In come contexts, "application" means a computer program. What does "application" mean in you situation?
An application, as in, some way we can apply this to a scientific/economic/ethical/social/etc issue. For example, you could write about how gum impacts the brain's focus, and your application could be something along the lines of "gum should be used to help people with attention disorders." It's essentially just applying your learned information into some sort of issue, whether it's resolving it or not. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the clarification -- I was thinking smartphone "App"...

It's difficult to judge upon your information. E.g. you wrote
infactuality said:
I would like to stray from any typical, expected projects
which makes it difficult not to run into typical ones. An "easy" project could be to investigate the impact of sports on depressions via endorphins but this is probably one of those "typical".

Maybe something involving illusions (optical or other) which can show how information processing in the brain can explain them.
There are many kinds which show the effects of different perceptual processes.

1. What is a brain project?

A brain project is a scientific research project that focuses on studying the brain, its functions, and its relationship to behavior, cognition, and emotion. This type of project can involve various methods such as behavioral experiments, brain imaging techniques, and computational modeling.

2. How do I come up with an idea for a brain project?

Brain projects can cover a wide range of topics, so it's important to first identify your specific area of interest. This can be based on your personal curiosity, current scientific advancements, or societal issues related to the brain. You can also consult with other researchers or mentors for potential ideas.

3. What are some examples of brain projects?

Some examples of brain projects include investigating the effects of stress on memory, exploring the neural mechanisms of decision-making, and developing a computer model of brain activity during learning. Other projects may focus on specific disorders such as Alzheimer's disease or mental health conditions.

4. How long does a brain project typically take?

The duration of a brain project can vary depending on its scope and complexity. Some projects may take a few months to complete while others can span several years. It also depends on factors such as funding, resources, and the availability of participants for research studies.

5. What are the potential outcomes of a brain project?

The outcomes of a brain project can vary, but they can include new insights into brain function, the development of new treatments for brain-related disorders, and advancements in technology and techniques used in brain research. Additionally, brain projects can contribute to the overall understanding of the brain and its role in human behavior and cognition.