Need an advice to create a paper folder for winding insulation

In summary, BlackMelon wants a machine that folds yellow insulation papers onto white ones. He is looking for suggestions on what parts to purchase.
BlackMelon
Hello,

I usually wind induction motors. I found folding their insulation papers are so boring to me. So, I would like to make a machine that eases my job. Please see the attached file. The paper's dimension would be something like 80cm x 120cm. This machine must be able to fold the yellow areas onto the white area. The width of each yellow area can be at maximum of 10 cm.

Could you please give me suggestions of what parts on the markets I should look for? It doesn't have to be fancy. It could be operated by hands instead of motors.

Thank you
BlackMelon

Attachments

• 60cm60cm.png
    60cm60cm.png
    645 bytes · Views: 115
Engineering news on Phys.org
If what you're looking for is a way to make paper folds automatically, maybe you can get inspired from the Paper Airplane Machine Gun (lots of links out there).

It may give some ideas about how you can do some highspeed automated folding with cheap parts buildable in your play room.

I spent a summer working in an electric motor rebuild shop a long time ago. I sort of kinda recall that they had a slot insulation creaser that worked like this sketch:
Creaser.jpg

A rubber faced bottom roller is about 2" diameter. The top shaft has a pair of steel creasing wheels about the same diameter. The creasing wheels are pressed into the rubber enough to get the desired amount of crease. The creasing wheels are not sharp like a knife, the tips have a radius on the order of 0.1 to 0.2 mm. I do not remember if the two rolls are geared together, or if one is driven while the other is driven by friction. Paper side guides are not shown.

Likes BlackMelon and Lnewqban
Thank you guys for your ideas. These are very helpful! I will build the machine based on the three version of you guys. When I finish building the machine, I will let you know. :)

Likes Lnewqban and Tom.G

1. How do I choose the right material for my paper folder?

The material you choose for your paper folder will depend on several factors, such as the type of insulation you will be winding, the environment it will be used in, and the budget you have. Some common materials used for paper folders include kraft paper, manila paper, and coated paper. Consider the strength, durability, and cost of each option before making a decision.

2. What size should my paper folder be?

The size of your paper folder will depend on the size of the insulation you will be winding. It should be large enough to comfortably fit the insulation without causing any creases or folds, but not too large that it takes up unnecessary space. Measure the dimensions of your insulation and add a few inches for room to work with when selecting the size of your paper folder.

3. How do I ensure the insulation stays in place while winding?

To prevent the insulation from moving around while winding, you can use adhesive tape or paper clips to secure it in place. Make sure to use a strong adhesive that won't come loose during the winding process. Alternatively, you can also use a paper folder with flaps or tabs that can be folded over the edges of the insulation to keep it in place.

4. Can I reuse the paper folder?

Yes, paper folders can be reused multiple times as long as they are still in good condition. However, if the paper folder becomes torn or damaged, it is best to replace it to ensure the insulation is properly protected during winding. Regularly inspect the paper folder for any signs of wear and tear and replace as needed.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a paper folder for winding insulation?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using a paper folder for winding insulation. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to prevent any injuries. Also, be mindful of any sharp edges on the paper folder and handle it carefully to avoid cuts or scratches. Lastly, always follow proper procedures when handling and winding insulation to ensure your safety and the quality of the final product.