Need advice on relay for disabled child's puff switch

In summary, a remote control switch would turn on an appliance when the person blows into the switch. There may be safety issues with this type of setup, so an expert may be necessary to wire it.
froggymorning
Hello,

I do not know what I am looking for other than a relay, but what I need is a way to have this puff switch

http://www.mansionathletics.com/puff-switch-physical-education-recreation-children-special-needs-ability-switches-action-37294.html?channelid=Yahoo%20Shopping

turn on a grounded 110v device that plugs into a regular grounded wall outlet.

The puff switch is for disabled people who can only turn things on/off with their breath. They blow to activate the switch, which turns an item on. So by blowing into this puff switch would activate a (relay) that allows a grounded 110v device plugged into a wall outlet to turn on. Is there a term for the type of relay or item I am looking for?

I could handle a soldering iron if I know what to get at radio shack and how it goes together, but if an item is already out there that someone can point me to, that is even better.

thank you so much,
geeky granny

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
froggymorning said:
Hello,

I do not know what I am looking for other than a relay, but what I need is a way to have this puff switch

http://www.mansionathletics.com/puff-switch-physical-education-recreation-children-special-needs-ability-switches-action-37294.html?channelid=Yahoo%20Shopping

turn on a grounded 110v device that plugs into a regular grounded wall outlet.

The puff switch is for disabled people who can only turn things on/off with their breath. They blow to activate the switch, which turns an item on. So by blowing into this puff switch would activate a (relay) that allows a grounded 110v device plugged into a wall outlet to turn on. Is there a term for the type of relay or item I am looking for?

I could handle a soldering iron if I know what to get at radio shack and how it goes together, but if an item is already out there that someone can point me to, that is even better.

thank you so much,
geeky granny

Welcome to the PF!

Is the disabled person in a bed so that there is a wired connection from this puff switch to the power relay? Or does it need to work with the disabled person in a wheelchair?

What kind of AC powered device will be plugged into the switched outlet? I would think that things like a light or radio would be fine, but a heater might have some serious safety issues if any part of the puff switch to power switch arrangement had a problem...

One possibility might be some kind of BlueTooth controller something something. Some RF control widgets that most likely exist, like a BlueTooth remote control to a BlueTooth AC outlet control switch...

What you want is perhaps called a "Latching Relay". You need something that will turn ON with one "puff" and then (I presume) turn OFF with the next puff. I don't know of a simple relay that will do that -- they tend to only go one way, although there are timed relays that turn on for some set of minutes. A bit of logic-circuit-foo, perhaps with a flip-flop, would do the trick to run the relay both ways.

As berkeman said, there may be safety issues, but searching for latching and flip-flop might give you some pointers. If you have no electronic experience it's probably a bit more than you can handle, perhaps you know someone who knows someone who can give you a bit of hands-on guidance?

wow, thank you for the fast responses. I apologize if I don't know what I am talking about, but I don't lol.

We can use a sip/puff switch, which works it so that air goes one way turns the device on, and the air going the other way turns it off.
But these are very low voltage devices and are designed to do only computers, audio, toys etc. I think the one I pasted to you has a mono-jack (?). Some come with USB port jacks, but there won't be a computer available.

We need to have this low-voltage puff or sip/puff switch with a mono jack, be able to plug into or hook into a relay. If puff switch is activated, then that will turn on any ungrounded or grounded 110v device that's needed at the time... Toaster, oxygen machine, heater, lamps, etc. We would set these up wherever ahead of time.
The person is wheelchair bound and manages the wheelchair with a sip/puff switch as well.

Does anyone know if there is any ready-made relay that can accept a low-voltage switch with a mono-jack like this, that will plug into the wall and have a regular appliance plugged into it? Or its sounding like Id need an expert to wire something?

Oh, I see...you need an Off-The-Shelf solution...

I just searched for "remote control switch" and found
SmartHome: http://www.smarthome.com/2473SWH/OutletLinc-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Outlet-White/p.aspx
and Lamson: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000TI5JY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But both are truly "remote" controlled, rather than just taking a low voltage control input and switching some nice AC output. Maybe if you find suppliers for these things they will know of something more appropriate to your needs. Lighting and alarm companies might also be able to point you someplace, or maybe even have some hacker on the payroll who could wire up a solution from scratch.

Related to Need advice on relay for disabled child's puff switch

1. What is a puff switch and how does it work?

A puff switch is a type of assistive technology device that allows individuals with limited mobility to control electronic devices or appliances by puffing or blowing into a tube. The puff switch is connected to a relay, which translates the puffing action into an electrical signal that can trigger the device.

2. How can a relay help with using a puff switch for a disabled child?

A relay is an electronic switch that can be controlled by a small electrical signal. In the case of a disabled child using a puff switch, the relay acts as the intermediary between the puff switch and the electronic device. This allows the child to control the device without having to physically interact with it.

3. What should I consider when choosing a relay for a disabled child's puff switch?

When choosing a relay for a disabled child's puff switch, it is important to consider the compatibility with the puff switch and the electronic device, the size and durability of the relay, and the ease of use for the child. It is also important to consult with a medical professional or therapist to ensure the relay is suitable for the child's specific needs.

4. Are there different types of relays for puff switches?

Yes, there are different types of relays that can be used with puff switches. Some common types include solid-state relays, which use electronic components, and electromechanical relays, which use mechanical components. The type of relay needed will depend on the specific requirements of the puff switch and electronic device being used.

5. Can a relay be used for other assistive technology devices besides a puff switch?

Yes, relays can be used for a variety of assistive technology devices, such as switches, joysticks, and eye gaze systems. They can also be used for non-assistive technology purposes, such as controlling lights or appliances. It is important to consult with a medical professional or therapist to determine the best type of relay for a specific assistive technology device.