Designing a Temperature-Activated Timer for Grain Storage Fans

In summary, the person needs a device that will close a contact after midnight if the temperature is below 6 degrees Celsius and open a contact at 7am. They need a clock and a temperature sensor which would be implemented on a microcontroller. The hobbyist who runs the website is knowledgeable and can help with this project.
phlegmy
Hello knowledgeable ones!

I need your help to make my life easier;

Background.
I need to turn on fans every cold night during winter in a grain storage shed
to keep the grain from heating/rotting! This involves treking to the shed in the cold after
midnight (cheap electricity) and flipping 2 circuit breakers on the wall to activate the fans...
The fans are just single phase induction motors (around 1.7kw) which plug directly into a standard electrical outlet (240v). The Motors on the fans each have a black box with all the bits nescessary for them to start up etc.

The Idea.
I want to build a device containing a clock and a temprature sensor, which will close a contact after midnight if the temprature is less than 6 deg c. and open the contact
at 7am
The idea is that you would plug this device into the wall outlet and plug the fan into the device.

HELP:
I've figured what i need to make and break the circuit is something called a CONTACTOR, but I'm stumped as to what one i need. The Clock and temprature sensor would be implemented on a microcontroller which would give the signal to the contactor to start the fans. So basically i need a device that would take a low voltage DC input (prob 9V or less) and close a switch to carry about 7A at 240Vac.

Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many small timers that switch 120 VAC on and off at specified times. Could you use one of those to to activate a relay. The relay in turn could activate the contactor.

not an advertisement, merely a suggestion

i used to frequent an electronics hobby site

this project is just the type of thing those folks specialize in
in fact i helped a fellow with a nearly identical project a year ago or so, for his wine cellar
oops - found the link and it was for his brewery...
http://www.discovercircuits.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9580#Post9580

you'll get enthusiastic help there from hobbyists of all skill levels

the guy who runs it is darn good at RF questions

it's free and they don't try to sell you stuff

www.discovercircuits.com

click on 'discover forum' ,, then circuit design

old jim

Last edited:

Related to Designing a Temperature-Activated Timer for Grain Storage Fans

1. What is a timed switch for a motor?

A timed switch for a motor is an electrical device that allows you to set a specific time for a motor to turn on and off. It is commonly used in industrial and household appliances to automate processes and save energy.

2. How does a timed switch for a motor work?

A timed switch for a motor works by using a timer mechanism to control the flow of electricity to the motor. Once the set time is reached, the switch will turn on or off, depending on the programmed function.

3. What are the benefits of using a timed switch for a motor?

There are several benefits to using a timed switch for a motor. It allows for energy conservation by only running the motor when needed, increases efficiency by automating processes, and can also prolong the lifespan of the motor by preventing continuous use.

4. Can a timed switch be used for different types of motors?

Yes, a timed switch can be used for various types of motors, including AC and DC motors. However, it is essential to check the compatibility of the switch with the motor before use.

5. How do I install and program a timed switch for a motor?

The installation and programming process may vary depending on the specific switch and motor. It is recommended to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation and programming. In general, the switch will need to be wired to the motor, and the timer will need to be set according to your desired on and off times.

Back