Need advice on learning C++? Check out this top-rated book!

• C/C++
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary, some suggestions for learning C++ include checking out the tutorials and resources on the website cprogramming.com, as well as potentially reading the book "How to Program C++" by Deitel & Deitel. Another recommendation is to start with "Sam's Teach Yourself C++" and work your way up to more advanced books. Additionally, the book "A Guide to Programming in C++" by Lawrencevill Press is also highly recommended.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
can anyone give me advice about learning C++ maybe a good
book or on line course? thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Here is a place to get tutorials and such:

http://www.cprogramming.com/

A good c++ book is "How to Program C++" by Deitel & Deitel. ISBN 0-13-038474-7.

If you want I can send you a copy of some notes from a past programming class I took. They explain c++ very well.

DDURADO.
If you want I can send you a copy of some notes from a past programming class I took. They explain c++ very well.

that would be very kind of you ddurado, yes please:smile:

Hmm, slight problem. My account on the server where I keep the file was deleted. The document is around 200 pages so it is impractical for me to scan it. I'll have to talk to my old professor to see if I can get a another copy.

wolram, try starting Here

I would start out with Sam's Teach Yourself C++. It gives you the basics and an appreciation of the language, then work myself up to the more advanced ones.

Last edited:
DDURADO.
please don't go out of your way, it is a kind offer but
i can get the basics from KENIKOV and THE PROFESSIONALS
posts, thanks again all.

Last edited:
the best c++ programming book i have read is "A guide to programming in C++" by Lawrencevill press...very good to begin with...

Related to Need advice on learning C++? Check out this top-rated book!

1. What is C++ and why should I learn it?

C++ is a programming language commonly used for developing applications, operating systems, and games. It combines the features of both high-level and low-level languages, making it powerful and efficient. Learning C++ can open up many job opportunities in the tech industry and help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Is C++ difficult to learn?

C++ can be more challenging to learn compared to other programming languages, especially for beginners. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to become proficient in C++. It's important to have a strong foundation in programming fundamentals and to start with simple projects before moving on to more complex ones.

3. What resources are available to help me learn C++?

There are many resources available online to help you learn C++. Some popular options include online tutorials, video courses, and interactive coding platforms. You can also consider joining coding communities or attending workshops or classes to learn from experienced programmers.

4. How long does it take to learn C++?

The amount of time it takes to learn C++ depends on various factors, such as your previous programming experience, learning style, and time commitment. It's important to focus on understanding the basics before moving on to more advanced concepts. With consistent practice and effort, you can become proficient in C++ in a matter of months.

5. What are some tips for mastering C++?

Some tips for mastering C++ include practicing regularly, working on projects to apply your knowledge, and seeking help from experienced programmers when needed. It's also important to read and understand code written by others, as it can help you learn new techniques and improve your skills. Finally, don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them – it's all part of the learning process.