Best courses to learn 2d game development in C++?

In summary: I think you can learn C# in a weekend.In summary, Unity is a popular game engine which can be used to make games on many platforms, but it may be difficult to learn for someone without programming experience. If you're interested in learning game development, Unity may be a good option.
shivajikobardan
TL;DR Summary
game dev in c/c++
This is not for professional career or something. This is just to practice OOP as I'm learning C++ atm. I found there are not many course for sfml, sdl, allegro, graphics.h,raylib etc unlike unreal engine. So, if you know something which has a good tutorial, please recommend.
In OOP way. I want to make games like tic tac toe etc. Well, I could make them in console as well.

I want a course that teaches game development concepts like collision detection etc. I don't need to be taught library as it's easy to learn small libraries.

Technology news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Why not investigate Unity game engine? It supports many many platforms and coding is done in either javascript or c#.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(game_engine)

there are many tutorials on the site and on YouTube and elsewhere if you search for them.

https://unity.com/learn
I think unity or unreal is the way to go. But I'd need to learn C# which would take me 2 weeks at least.

shivajikobardan said:
Do you guys recommend me buy this book?
No.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you're dead set on learning c++, I'd go with Unity and c#. I dabbled in c++ twenty years ago, but other than that have little programming experience, and within the first week of learning Unity and c#, I got stuff going I thought would take months to learn.

I learned blender along with it and I didn't realize all this stuff had become as accessible as it had. With large language models becoming more advanced, I can only assume it'll get more and more accessible.

shivajikobardan said:
Do you guys recommend me buy this book? For making console games?

pbuk said:
No.
A possible reason for pbuk's terse comment is that your thread title indicates that you're interested in 2D game development. The book in the link you provided seems to be mostly about text games, with no graphics.

Mark44 said:
terse comment
Code:
bool recommendation;

• Haha
Likes pbuk and Mark44
shivajikobardan said:
I think unity or unreal is the way to go. But I'd need to learn C# which would take me 2 weeks at least.
Then learn it. In game development, reinventing the wheel is something that you don't want to do.

If you have a solid base in programming logic, you shouldn't be facing a tough time in grasping the basics of any high-level language. And I have already given you a long list of programs via PM; you can use those to fortify your understanding. And then just learn on the way.

Last edited:
Likes pbuk
shivajikobardan said:
But I'd need to learn C# which would take me 2 weeks at least.
That might be a gross underestimate.

Likes Wrichik Basu

Related to Best courses to learn 2d game development in C++?

What is 2D game development?

2D game development involves creating two-dimensional games, where the graphics and gameplay are displayed on a flat surface. This can include side-scrolling games, top-down games, and other styles that utilize 2D graphics and mechanics.

Why should I learn 2D game development in C++?

C++ is a powerful and widely-used programming language in the game development industry. It offers high performance and control over memory management, making it a popular choice for developing games. Additionally, many game engines and frameworks use C++ as their primary language, making it a valuable skill for game developers to have.

What are the best courses to learn 2D game development in C++?

There are many great courses available for learning 2D game development in C++. Some popular options include "Learn C++ by Building Games" on Udemy, "Beginning C++ Game Programming" on Coursera, and "Introduction to Game Development" on Codeacademy.

Do I need prior programming knowledge to learn 2D game development in C++?

While having prior programming knowledge can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many courses and tutorials for 2D game development in C++ start with the basics and build upon them, making them accessible for beginners. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and C++ syntax can make the learning process smoother.

Are there any free resources for learning 2D game development in C++?

Yes, there are many free resources available for learning 2D game development in C++. Some options include online tutorials, YouTube videos, and open-source game engines and frameworks. It is important to do thorough research and choose resources that are reputable and regularly updated.