Need advice in choosing PhD topics, combination of physics and computer science

In summary: Hi there,I've just registered and I'm wondering if there is a place where I could find some advice on choosing a research field. I'm a physics graduate and I'm wondering if I should do a PhD in computer science or astrophysics. I'm not sure if it's the right choice and I'm not sure if the right research is available in either field.In summary, Greg is a newbie who is unsure of which research field to focus on. He is facing the dilemma of whether to do a PhD in computer science or astrophysics. He does not know if the research available in either field is the right choice for him.
leoneri
Hi all, I am just joined, so I am new here.

I have a bachelor in Physics, and master in Telecommunication management. I have few years working in ICT projects doing varied stuff start from programming and network design. However, I did not feel satisfied with this kind of work. Since I can't throw away my passion on fundamental research. So I decide that I want to do a PhD.

Currently I am facing an opportunity to do PhD research in a Radio-Astronomy institution. However, I still cannot decide, should I focus on the computer science aspect or the Physics/astronomy aspect. I have a thought to do research on applying Quantum computing for astronomical research, but I still do not have a clue on this subject, let alone whether this is make sense or not. I do not want to become a laughing stock when I submit my research proposal ... :)

I hope anybody here could give me an advice. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Greg, thanks for welcoming me.

Usually in a forum, there is a special sub-forum for newbie introduction, but can't found it on this forum.

This may sound obvious, but shouldn't you be directing this question to your Ph.D supervisor?

Maybe things are done slightly differently in different parts of the world, but I can't believe that your advisor has zero input in determining what line of research you can, and should, be doing.

Zz.

leoneri said:
Hi Greg, thanks for welcoming me.

Usually in a forum, there is a special sub-forum for newbie introduction, but can't found it on this forum.

rules are just below the "Physics Forums" - logo.

Each subforum here has its "sticky" threads which one has to read.

enjoy your stay!

leoneri said:

Around here we tend to do that in the "General Discussion" forum, but we're not big on formalities. It's perfectly OK to just dive into one of the other forums and join in or ask a question.

Related to Need advice in choosing PhD topics, combination of physics and computer science

1. What are some examples of PhD topics that combine physics and computer science?

Some examples of PhD topics that combine physics and computer science are quantum computing, computational electromagnetics, materials informatics, computational fluid dynamics, and biophysics.

2. How do I choose a specific topic for my PhD that combines physics and computer science?

The best way to choose a specific topic is to start by identifying your interests and strengths in both physics and computer science. Then, look for areas where these two fields intersect, such as in emerging technologies or interdisciplinary research. You can also consult with your advisor or other experts in the field for suggestions and guidance.

3. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I need to have in order to pursue a PhD in the intersection of physics and computer science?

Having a strong foundation in both physics and computer science is essential for pursuing a PhD in this field. Knowledge of programming languages, data analysis, and mathematical modeling are also important skills to have. However, you can also acquire these skills through coursework and research during your PhD program.

4. Can I pursue a PhD in physics and computer science without a background in both fields?

It may be possible to pursue a PhD in this field without a background in both physics and computer science, but it may require additional coursework or self-study to catch up on the necessary knowledge and skills. It is important to discuss your background and goals with your potential advisor to determine if this is a feasible option for you.

5. What are some potential career options for someone with a PhD in the intersection of physics and computer science?

A PhD in this field can open up a variety of career paths, including research and development in industries such as technology, aerospace, and healthcare. Other options may include teaching at the university level, working in government laboratories, or pursuing a career in data science or analytics.