Need a suggestion for an assignment on fiber optics.

In summary, the conversation is about a physics student in their second year of university who is completing a course on Electromagnetism and Optics. They have passed their final exam and are now working on a project on fiber optics. They are looking for interesting problems to address and mention their interest in measuring sound using fiber optics in medical applications. Three possible examples are given, including the use of fiber optics for measuring ultrasound fields produced by medical equipment, absolute pressure measurement in medical instruments, and a heart sound sensing device for use with medical diagnostic devices.
tsuwal
I am finishing a course on Eletromagnetism and Optics. I am currently a physics student in the second year of university. I passed the final exam and now I'm supposed to do a work on fiber optics. Do you know any interesting problem that i could adress? It can be a hard one, I am supposed to write up to 15 pages so be at easy when making suggestions. I don't have any idea what I am going to write about yet..

Science news on Phys.org
Since I spent ~25 years in underwater acoustics I’m slightly partial to measuring sound. Here are three examples using fiber optics to measure acoustic signals, all related to medical applications:

ULTRASONIC FIBRE OPTIC-HYDROPHONE - uFOHS
a specific application is the in situ measurement of ultrasound fields produced by diagnostic and therapeutic medical ultrasound equipment.
http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/research/mle/fibre_optic.htm

Fiber Optic Probe Hydrophone FOPH 500
A great number of possible applications are in the medical field, in general ultrasonic calibration and measurement as well as in technical ultrasonic equipment:
Absolute pressure measurement in the focus and the extended wave field of medical instruments for extracorporal shock wave lithotripsy, e.g. for the destruction of kidney and gall stones.
Absolute pressure measurement in the focus and the extended wave field of ultrasonic instruments for medical diagnosis.
Characterisation and certification of medical instruments for diagnosis and therapy (IEC 1157).
Underwater shock wave studies.
http://www.pi1.uni-stuttgart.de/link/hydrophon.en.html

Heart sound sensor
US 4672976 A
ABSTRACT
A heart sound sensing device for placement on the body of a patient and for the detection of low frequency sound waves. The device is for use with medical diagnostic devices, and comprises a cylindrical housing structure for retaining the remaining elements of the device, a strap for holding the device to the body of the patient, a fluid ingress/egress aperture, an open end for receiving sound waves, and a hydrophone assembly centrally fixed within the housing structure for producing electrical signals in response to transmitted heart sound waves. The device of this invention is further provided with a flexible diaphragm which is vibratingly sensitive to sound waves generated by the patient's heart and being for placement in direct contact with the patient body surface to conform to the body contours. A bubble free fluid medium is provided to fill the remaining interior volume of the housing structure to transmit sound waves from the diaphragm to the hydrophone assembly. The device further includes a cable means communicatively connected to the hydrophone assembly for transmitting electrical output signals to medical diagnostic devices. The sound sensing device is further used in a method for sensing heart sound waves.
http://www.google.com/patents/US4672976

Related to Need a suggestion for an assignment on fiber optics.

1. What is fiber optics and how does it work?

Fiber optics is a technology that uses thin, flexible glass or plastic fibers to transmit light signals over long distances. These fibers are used to carry information in the form of light pulses, which travel through the fiber by constantly reflecting off the walls of the fiber. This allows for high-speed and high-capacity data transmission.

2. What are the benefits of using fiber optics?

There are several benefits of using fiber optics, including:

• High transmission speed: Fiber optics can transmit data at the speed of light, making it one of the fastest communication technologies available.
  • Long distance transmission: Unlike copper wires, fiber optics can transmit data over long distances without any loss of signal strength.
  • Immunity to interference: Fiber optics are not affected by electromagnetic interference, making them more reliable for data transmission.
  • Secure communication: The thin fibers make it difficult to tap into the communication without being detected, making it a more secure form of communication.

3. How is fiber optics used in everyday life?

Fiber optics have become an essential part of our daily lives, whether we realize it or not. Some common uses of fiber optics include:

• Internet and phone communication: Most internet and phone service providers use fiber optics to connect users to their networks.
  • Television: Fiber optics are used to transmit cable TV signals, providing high-quality and reliable reception.
  • Medical equipment: Fiber optics are used in medical devices such as endoscopes to allow doctors to see inside the body without invasive procedures.
  • Data centers: Many companies use fiber optics to connect their data centers, allowing for high-speed data transfer and reliable communication.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using fiber optics?

While fiber optics have many advantages, they also have some potential drawbacks, including:

• Cost: The materials and equipment used for fiber optics can be expensive, making it a costly option for some applications.
  • Fragility: Fiber optic cables are delicate and can be easily damaged, requiring careful handling and installation.
  • Complexity: The technology used in fiber optics is complex, requiring specialized knowledge and skills for installation and maintenance.

5. What are some future developments in fiber optics?

Fiber optics technology is constantly evolving, and there are some exciting developments on the horizon, including:

• Higher speeds: Researchers are working on developing fiber optic systems that can transmit data at even higher speeds, potentially reaching terabits per second.
  • Improved efficiency: Scientists are exploring ways to make fiber optics more energy-efficient, reducing the power consumption required for data transmission.
  • Wider applications: As technology advances, fiber optics may be used in new and innovative ways, such as in quantum computing and biotechnology.