A good introduction on light propagation mode

In summary, Propagation mode in optical fibers refers to the solutions of the dispersion relation that describes how light propagates in the medium of an optical fiber. This concept is important in understanding how optical fiber communication systems work and is often described using complicated mathematics and electromagnetic wave theory.
ian2015
Hi,
Can anyone explain or point to a good introduction in simple terms the concept of 'light propagation mode'?
I am in my final year at high school and need to write a research report on how optical fiber communication systems work. The report needs to include some contents beyond what is taught in current school curriculum. However, I really struggle to understand the concept of 'light propagation mode in fiber' and its importance in communication using optical fiber. All the articles I found mentioned the concept using electromagnetic wave theory and use complicated maths which is beyond my current knowledge. Any kind people can help me? I am getting desperate as I spent a lot of time trying to understand the concept and still very confused.

Many thanks,
Ian

Science news on Phys.org
Propagation mode is term used to describe solution of dispersion relation describing the medium in which light propagates. For the simplest case is light propagation in free space, the propagation modes in that case are plane waves and the dispersion relation is ## k(\omega) = \omega /c ##. Those complicated looking expressions of propagation mode in an optical fiber is of course the solutions of dispersion relation for optical fiber.

1. What is light propagation mode?

Light propagation mode refers to the way in which light travels through a medium, such as air or water. It describes the path and behavior of light as it moves from one point to another.

2. What factors affect light propagation mode?

The factors that affect light propagation mode include the type of medium the light is traveling through, the wavelength of the light, and any obstacles or barriers in the path of the light.

3. How does light propagate in different mediums?

Light propagates differently in different mediums due to variations in the density and composition of the material. For example, light travels faster in air than in water, and it can also be refracted or reflected as it passes through different mediums.

4. What are the different types of light propagation modes?

The different types of light propagation modes include direct propagation, where light travels in a straight line, and indirect propagation, where light is scattered or reflected off of surfaces. Other modes include diffraction, refraction, and total internal reflection.

5. Why is understanding light propagation mode important in scientific research?

Understanding light propagation mode is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to predict and control the behavior of light in various experiments and applications. This knowledge is essential in fields such as optics, astronomy, and telecommunications.