Need a solution -- converting a translatory motion into rotary

In summary, the conversation is about finding a mechanism to convert translatory motion into rotary motion with a good rpm. The load is 250 kgs and is being converted using a crankshaft. The person is also considering using a rack and pinion, but is having trouble with the speed. It is mentioned that using a smaller pinion will result in a faster spin. The purpose of the rpm is not specified, but the load is reciprocating and springs are being used to provide recoil. The person is also using gear trains to increase the speed, but it is dependent on the displacement of the panel due to the load. There is a suggestion to use a crankshaft similar to an engine, but it is not clear if this was
monster_head
Can anyone suggest me a mechanism which can provide me a good rpm when I'm converting a translatory motion into rotary one. I've crankshaft in ma mind. The load is of about 250 kgs and its loaded on a panel and I need to convert that linear downward motion into rotary and with a good rpm. And even have made calculations for rack and pinion. But ain't gettin the speed.. Badly need help with the design..

Engineering news on Phys.org
The smaller the pinion the faster it'll spin (more rpm). What will you use the rpm for? Is the 250 kg load reciprocating or is it just a one-time downward motion?

its is a reciprocating 1. I'm using springs to provide a recoil to the panel. apart from the enrgy absorbed by the spring i need the it provide me the spin. I'm using gear trains to maximize the speed. but its totally depended on the displacement of the panel due to the load and the spin provided by the its displacement

What's wrong with a crankshaft like in an engine?

Related to Need a solution -- converting a translatory motion into rotary

1. What is translatory motion?

Translatory motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a straight line without changing its orientation.

2. What is rotary motion?

Rotary motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point.

3. Why would you need to convert translatory motion into rotary motion?

Converting translatory motion into rotary motion can be useful in a variety of situations, such as converting linear movement into rotational movement for machinery or converting the motion of an object in one direction into motion in another direction.

4. What are some methods for converting translatory motion into rotary motion?

Some common methods for converting translatory motion into rotary motion include using gears, pulleys, levers, and cams.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations with converting translatory motion into rotary motion?

Yes, there can be challenges with converting translatory motion into rotary motion, such as maintaining a constant speed and direction, overcoming friction and inertia, and finding the right mechanical components to achieve the desired conversion.