Need a quick help with a simple identity

• Thread starter hooker27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary: Therefore, when raising (-e^i) to the power of 1/2, you must specify which value of (-1)^\frac{1}{2} you are using. In summary, when dealing with complex numbers and exponents, it is important to specify which value you are using as some functions may have multiple values. In this case, when raising (-e^i) to the power of 1/2, you must specify whether you are using i or -i as the value for (-1)^\frac{1}{2}.
hooker27
Hi
Where is the error is this 'identity'?:

[tex](-e^i)^{\frac{1}{2}} = (-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}*e^{\frac{i}{2}}[/tex]

My calculator says that the right side is minus one times the left but I can't see the mistake I'v made. Help me please, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happened to the "i" on the left? I assume that was a typo and you mean [itex](-e^i)^{\frac{1}{2}} = (-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}*e^{\frac{i}{2}}[/itex]

You have to be careful about apply "laws of exponents" to complex numbers- we all remember the "proof" that 1= -1:
[tex]1= ((-1)(-1))^\frac{1}{2}= (-1)^\frac{1}{2}(-1)^\frac{1}{2}= (i)(i)= -1[/tex]

- I am not sure which 'i' (and 'typo') you are reffering to, your 'indentity' is, as far as I can say, identical to mine.

- So make this clear for me: when can I use the fact that [tex](A*B)^x = A^x*B^x[/tex] when A,B are complex and x real? (I have little knowledge of complex analysis)

I need to get [tex](-e^i)^x = something * e^{ix}[/tex] but I am not sure what the 'something' should be, obviously it is not [tex](-1)^x[/tex], could you please help me?

Thanks, H.

Okay, I didn't see that you had "i/2" rather than "1/2". Maybe I need to have my eyes checked!

hooker27 said:
I need to get but I am not sure what the 'something' should be, obviously it is not.

Actually it is but (-1)x, like most complex valued functions, is multi-valued. You need to state which value you are using.

In your particular case, [itex](-1)^\frac{1}{2}[/itex] has two values: i and -i.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Need a quick help with a simple identity

1. What is a simple identity?

A simple identity is a mathematical expression or equation that is true for all values of the variable involved. It can also refer to a personal characteristic or trait that is inherent to an individual or group.

2. Why do I need quick help with a simple identity?

You may need quick help with a simple identity if you are struggling to understand the concept or solve a problem related to it. It could also be necessary for time-sensitive situations where a quick solution is needed.

3. How do I solve a simple identity?

To solve a simple identity, you can substitute different values for the variable and see if the equation remains true. You can also use algebraic manipulation techniques to simplify the expression and reach a solution.

4. Can you provide an example of a simple identity?

One example of a simple identity is the commutative property of addition, which states that the order of numbers being added does not change the result. For example, 2 + 3 = 3 + 2.

5. What resources can I use for quick help with a simple identity?

You can use online math forums, tutoring services, or reach out to a math teacher or classmate for quick help with a simple identity. There are also many online resources and textbooks available that provide step-by-step explanations and practice problems.